PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island beach closures

DR
08-05-2008, 10:08 AM
http://###########.biz/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/question.gif (http://###########.biz/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1210194859/0#0)

This information was passed on to me via email, and I thought I would post it here in case some were unaware, please take the time to sign the petition if you can.

Thanks Skippa,

This topic is pretty important to me, my family and friends. My sisters and I grew up on this island (since I was 5 years old), and still go there nearly every second weekend. These beach closures are unnecessary, and are not clearly being put in place for any environmental reasons. We are not disputing the beach closure at Cowan Cowan, as this is for environmental reasons. The other beaches (Combi and North Point) are being closed to vehicle access unnecessarily.

I would really appreciate any support on this topic, as these closures are unnecessary. Even if you do not sign the E-Petition, I request that you please forward this email on to as many people as you can.

Thanks for your support!

Hayley

Recently, the Queensland State Government closed Comboyuro and North Point beaches to vehicle traffic. Over 200 submissions were received by the government on this issue. Less than 10% supported the closure of the beaches. The government chose to overlook democracy and forge ahead with a dictatorial approach to force their agenda.

This area has been used responsibly by generations for this purpose and the government has closed off arguably the most used parts of the island to traffic without any alternatives. It has effectively also cut off this area for the elderly, handicapped and young families to enjoy.

Please, I urge you to sign this petition to tell the government that this type of social engineering has gone too far. The EPA has a policy to continue with this type of enforcement of our lifestyles and must be told that all Queenslanders have a right to enjoy these areas.

To sign the E-Petition, please go to the link below:

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNu... (http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=1049)

Bill Gollan

President, Bulwer Resident and Landholders Association

liltuffy
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Signed and submitted

Craig

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Ditto. Greenies are actually watermelons. Green outside, red in the middle. Hate them. They are evil!

harry_h01
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Added mine also

mowerman
08-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Done... and emailed link to 10 Moreton fishing mates.

Rod

beachturkey
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks fpor bringing it to our attention, because the Govt sure wouldn't make it too public.>:( :-X

I've E-Mailed 46 friends, fisho's and 4WD'ers who I believe will also be keen to keep it open. Hope that many more do the same!:helpa:

Well done

Horse
08-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Done and done

manchild
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Done ,also email went for everybody of interest

Stinger
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Signed the partition and emailed it to others

True Grit
09-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Done and forwarded to all concerned

death_ship
09-05-2008, 03:59 PM
anyone know the basis of the trial closure at north point? I was there last weekend and could not see a valid reason for closing the beach one kilometre from the point.

BrewGuru
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Done and dusted

Outsider1
09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
170+ additional sigs since DR's post yesterday morning, nice work guys!.

Cheers

Dave

reel scream
10-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Done. Got married over there. Love the place.

Cheers Scott

Ready Jet Go
11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Moreton is my favourite place in Australia good petition what will these morons try to close next

sid_fishes
11-05-2008, 07:06 AM
like everyone before me, signed and sent cheers ian

buggerit
11-05-2008, 07:56 AM
I'm added as well .

Mike Delisser
12-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Can anyone tell me if the vehicle exclusion zones at Comby or Nth Point are being increased or something like that? Is that what the petition is for?
The only info I can find is the zones were put in a year ago as a safety messure for families playing on the beach in front of the Comby Camping Ground (800mts) & Nth Point Camping Ground (600mts). There is suppose to be a bypass track around the back of the camping ground also. I know the Comby track is there, what about Nth Point?
The issue was posted on Ausfish here last year and sort of got the thumbs up at the time as being a smart move for everyones safety. Ausfish members posted that guys used to drive dangerously there. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=663472

Rather than jump on a bandwagon I'd like to be a little more informed before signing any petition. ;)

Slider
13-05-2008, 08:22 AM
M62, I can't find anything concrete either, but I would expect that the closure is for the protection of shorebirds as per southern Fraser Island, Double Island Point, Noosa River mouth and there will be many more. These closures are as a result of Federally negotiated international treaties that have been in place for many years and the State Coastal Management Plan which are now being acted on following research procedures. There is currently 8% of identified sites of international shorebird significance that are protected and this is desired to be 25% of these sites by completion of implementation of the shorebird protection policies.
Now, I am all for the protection of shorebirds, but there is a flaw in the strategy being emplaced for the protection of terns. At North Point these terns would be mainly - crested, roseate, bridled, caspian and common terns which all rely heavily on pelagic fish species feeding on baitfish for their food. Unlike gannets and cormorants etc, terns are not good at catching their own fish and need the presence of pelagics to damage the baitfish which can then be picked up by the terns.
So if pelagic species are under threat, then so too are the terns. Netting in particular is having a very detrimental affect on pelagic numbers (tailor, mackerel, tuna etc) and the location of the schools. When North Point, Sandy Cape, Double Island Point, Noosa Rvr mouth etc etc are netted, this relocates the pelagics further away from the roosting sites being protected due to 'area abandonment' (spooking). This (in turn) causes the terns to either have to fly further for their food, or to relocate to a location that is closer to the food source. Thus the protected site fails to function to its potential. Furthermore, if pelagic species' populations continue to fall, then so too will that of the terns as a natural consequence of lack of food.
I've been watching this one for a while as it relates directly to my research on fish behavioural responses to netting. The terns are my 'eye in the sky' in ascertaining the movement of species and I know that if the tailor have moved elsewhere because of netting then so do the terns go also (for example). - they simply have to.

My take on this situation, would be to pursue this line of thinking with the tern people and also the turtle fratenity. There is clout to be utilised here for a potential win for recreational fishing. The closure of sections of coastline to certain types of recreational activity for the protection of shorebirds is going to happen and can't be stopped. There may be individual victories to be won in certain locations where public backlash or scientific proof can keep a designated site open to these recreational useages. But they will be very isolated victories and to be smart, would be try and fight the winnable ones. 'Balance' is the key word in all of this and we need to try and work with government to achieve the balance they say is their objective.
However, beach seine netting (and other forms of netting) is a controversial subject for government and can now be placed under extra scrutiny due to the desire to protect tern populations. It would be in our interests as recreational anglers to pursue a reduction in netting activity that has a direct impact on designated tern rookeries. If a balance is to be found, then the netting issue must come into the equasion or there is no chance of a balanced outcome.

I shake my head in disbelief at the closure at the Noosa River mouth. There are never terns there when netting activity is occurring. I am aware that the K licenses operate when the majority of terns are in Siberia or Asia, but the juvenile and older terns do not make that migration and remain here. Those that fish the Fraser Comp in May would be well aware of measures to protect terns at that time of year - precisely as mullet netting is getting into full swing. The N1 license is year round and does operate when the majority of terns are here. On this beach (Teewah) the N1 licenses are used to target tailor when the terns are first arriving back on our shores and are dependant on the tailor feeding on froggies etc to rebuild their strength. Those that have been at Fraser in September and October will have seen the flocks.
This is also the time of year that the green and loggerhead turtles mate at Sandy Cape and are in dire need of sustenance due to the exertions of their mating. Those that have been north of Ngkala Rocks in October early morning will have seen the many turtles on the beach, resting for the next days errr... activities.
When Sandy Cape is netted (and it is very regularly), the fish take off and there are none available to the turtles (or dolphins and anglers) until the fish return in 1 - 2 weeks when they are promptly netted. This must impact negatively on both the success of mating and the health of the turtles generally. North Point and Moreton Island as a whole, also has a turtle population that is affected by commercial netting.

I don't know who is active in trying to prevent the closure at North Point from occurring, but I would be willing to offer my assistance, if wanted, in any way possible.

Lindsay Dines

Mike Delisser
13-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Boy you sure know you birds Lindsay.
I dug a little deeper.
The beach closures mentioned in the original post are only in front of the camping grounds at Comby and Nth Point and as far as I can tell are 800mts and 600mts in size. They are purely a safety messure brought in after several incidents (?). These two closures are not to do with birds as far as I can see and I know there is definiately an alternative track around the camping ground at Comby. In fact at anything more than the bottom 1/2 of the tide you must use it anyway.
The Mirapool on the other hand has a 30km speed zone in place for the birds but that is not what the original post was saying the petition was about. There was some talk about closing a section of the beach at Heath Island but I can't find any more on that after early 2007.
Most of the letter in the original post appeared in a Redcliffe paper some time back and as stated was penned by Bill Gollan the President, Bulwer Resident and Landholders Association. It's worth noting that this association strongly opposes the closure to vehicals of the beach in front of the camping ground at Comby as they say it will increase traffic through the township of Bulwer & taking the track around the back of the camping groung could add 5km to their juorney. Two points that were not mentioned in the original post or the letter to the Redcliffe paper, but they would be quite relivent to residents on the Island I'm sure.
Personally I'd rather know my family can play safely on the beach in front of the tents without having to worry about them getting hit.
If anyone can shed more light on the issue please do, we can never be over informed.

LostNearBribie
13-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I had no idea this was going on.
Love Moreton.
Will we all have to sell our 4bies soon???

Slider
14-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Thanks M62. At least I got some practice on the bird subject for the emails about to be sent.
So is there likely to be vehicular access to North Point at all?

sharkymark2
14-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Done. I guess greenies as well as being what they are are also political creatures. Whereas most fisherman are like horses in a race with blinkers on. All they want to do is fishhhhhhhhhh. I guess we need to be political as well to defend some of our natural born rights.

work2fish
14-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Done and more than happy to
my fav holiday dest for 30years and hopefuly
unchanged for another 30years

cuzzamundi
15-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Great idea, just did mine. Is there some way we can get this message across to ALL the members on here? i have a feeling that many don't read this section...surely most members would wanna sign this!

cuzza

mod5
15-05-2008, 01:57 PM
Great idea, just did mine. Is there some way we can get this message across to ALL the members on here? i have a feeling that many don't read this section...surely most members would wanna sign this!

cuzza

It's here and in the 4X4 Section.

TJW79
20-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info signed and sent! Cheers