PDA

View Full Version : Good ol' Smokey!

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 07:55 AM
On Monday 5th, we were fishing on the 35's, and saw a plume of smoke in the distance. Our first thought was that someone was on fire, but as it approached it proved to be a flybridge cruiser, maybe 20 years old, with very stuffed engines, belching brown smoke.

The smoke was significant, and bellowed out through the whole rev range once it was loaded. I didn't get the rego (too far away, and the snapper were biting) but if I had, is there anyone this can be reported to?

If one of my trucks were producing smoke like that, Qld Transport'd be on me like a seagull on chips.

Dirtysanchez
08-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Like the comparison of the gulls on the chips, thanks for the chuckle.

I saw this plume too, from just outside Shorncliffe area.. well at least I saw a large plume of smoke anyways. We then saw the water police motoring out, and like you thought some poor bugger had come into some troubles with engine failure, or god forbid, a fire..

Must be quite knackered if it smoked through the revs.

EPA perhaps ?

FNQCairns
08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Gee we are a cut throat mob these days, we have changed lots, that's all a bloke needs when doing battle with a problem, couldn't see him causing any DAMAGE the environment/nature would remember him for and certainly much less than even a minor trans pacific voyage of any containership, hell a semi carrying rich kids BMWs from Melb to Sydney even!.

cheers fnq

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Sorry FNQ, but bollocks!

I have a fleet of trucks and earthmoving equipment, and am extremely conscious of ensuring my machinery in is top nick, as the pollution produced by a shitty diesel is extremely dangerous. It is also against the law to drive a truck on our roads producing anything near what that guy was producing.

Now, if he was pushing back in to port to do something about a new problem, sure, but he came in from the Northeast, stopped near us and fished for a while, then went Southwest.

He was in no hurry to do anything other than fish.

disorderly
08-05-2008, 11:32 AM
sheesh...what a drama queen.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif
Might be time to adjust your skirt,Timiboy.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Scott

PS. I'm surprised you didn't try to make a citizens arrest.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
OK, so hang on, I'm failing to understand something here.

We all get uptight about people dropping rubbish in the water. We get annoyed about the EPA deciding we can't fish here, or there, or wherever, because we are "responsible anglers" with our eye on the ball regarding environmental issues.

But then we state it's OK for some guy to dump God knows how many HIGHLY, REALLY HIGHLY carcinogenic materials into the atmosphere, and into the water??

You've lost the plot! I can only imagine that those who think it's OK have similar machinery, and are happy to argue on behalf of the environment when it suits them, but in reality don't give a stuff.

I'm not a greeny, I'm a dead set capitalist. I make plenty of money, but I could make a shitload more if I decided that attitude was OK. I want to help hand a cleaner planet to my Kids, and to theirs.

Am I on my own here?

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 01:27 PM
OK, and maybe I'm over reacting, but people makin' a mess really boils my potatoes! ;D

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
No-one knows what the reason is for that vessel producing so much smoke. Sure it might be buggered engines and it probably is. But we don't know his situation either so why jump up and down and want to contact the authorities etc when he is not really hurting anyone or anything. Aren't we policed and regulated enough??

Back on the road, do you get every number plate etc so that you can make that call everytime you see a vehicle blowing smoke, or crossing double lines, or running a light or...............!

If you were to suddenly find that it was to be his last trip, or his wife's, cancer or something other terrible bloody thing had got him. One last trip together on the boat they loved so much, how would you feel if you'd gone to the authorities.

My point........you don't know, so live and let live.

With respect Timiboy,

Dave

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Oh that is sentimental crap. If it's his last (or his wife's) he/she probably got the cancer from ingesting the particulants from his own damned exhaust. And even the ridiculous "last trip" scenario (or any other drivel you can dream up to justify this crap) were the case, the condition of his engines was not something that snuck up on him ten minutes ago. If it was, he'd be high tailing for port before they exploded, not happily fishing away.

He's not harming anyone. Are you kidding? Let's all just let our gear fall into disrepair and start belching toxic smoke into the air. I won't service my car any more, and I sure as hell will buy a dirty old carby 2 stroke next time. Save me money and stuff the rest of the world.

While we're at it, I might just leave fish frames lying around on the beach, and claim I had to go in a hurry because my Auntie thought she might have a tumor. Same stupid logic. Those plastic bottles I'll leave out at the 29's in future? Damn, I won't carry them, it costs fuel to have the extra weight on board. They don't hurt anyone, do they?

Again, I guess the support you've given a guy who's busy trying to kill us with his exhaust is that your boat must be a dirty old shitbox as well.

If he can't afford to fix it, he should sell it and get something he can afford to keep in good nick.
>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Does no one care enough about air quality to say anything about this other than that it's ok?

ozscott
08-05-2008, 02:40 PM
....arrhh....I like my dirty old carb 2 stroke, but if anyone is willing to donate 18 grand for the same size 4 stroke for the sake of mother nature, I would be happy to take it off their hands...:)

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 03:00 PM
There's absolutely no need to be insulting and over the top. I put a hypothetical to show that there could be a reason no-one is aware of. That was all.

Dave

Didley
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
and are happy to argue on behalf of the environment when it suits them, but in reality don't give a stuff.

I'm with U, Timiboy, but I think most people do fit into that category unfortunately. That's why we need laws and regulations to force people to do the right thing, everyone thinks they can stretch the boundaries when its in there interests, but everyone else is a prick 4 doing it.
Keep the passion mate, U can be sure the A##holes out there will keep looking out 4 themselves, you've only got look at the sh#t floating around in the water to know that.

PinHead
08-05-2008, 03:26 PM
wanna tell me what the carcinpgens are in diesel exhausts? If they are so dangerous then why are these vehicles allowed on the road..especially some of the piles of crap masquerading as earthmoving equipment..let alone the cowboys that drive these trucks and dog trailers..one of my pet peeves on the rodas..thos cowboys. If you are so worried about exhausts then stop using your motors..I am sick of this call some authority every time there is something you don't like. I don't recall seeing anything re boat exhausts being illegal.

I recently bought a 2 stroke motor with the new boat...perfectly legal to own therefore what is the problem. If you want to make sure the air is clean for your kids etc then get rid of your fleet..they just add to the so called problem.

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I should clarify something here - I don't expect people to have machinery that is perfect. Exhaust will happen for as long as we use internal combustion engines, and some are dirtier than others.

I am not advocating that folks with carby 2 strokes are badass. Trucks do blow some smoke when accelerating or under exhaust brakes. That is normal usage, and will happen even on highly maintained gear.

I do demand that people maintain, service and repair the machinery they have, so that they can minimise their footprint.

The boat I saw was a stinking mess from go to woe. There was no excuse. It belched for the whole time while it was underway, for many miles, non stop.

I'll buy you a beer one day, Nauti!;D

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Don't bother.

PinHead
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I should clarify something here - I don't expect people to have machinery that is perfect. Exhaust will happen for as long as we use internal combustion engines, and some are dirtier than others.

I am not advocating that folks with carby 2 strokes are badass. Trucks do blow some smoke when accelerating or under exhaust brakes. That is normal usage, and will happen even on highly maintained gear.

I do demand that people maintain, service and repair the machinery they have, so that they can minimise their footprint.

The boat I saw was a stinking mess from go to woe. There was no excuse. It belched for the whole time while it was underway, for many miles, non stop.

I'll buy you a beer one day, Nauti!;D

I don't think you have the right to "demand" anything of anyone..how about some live and let live. If that was the way bloke ran his boat that is his problem..no need for anyone else to say a word about it unless it happens to be illegal and then the authorities can deal with it. I know I would not be losing any sleep over it.

Didley
08-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Don't bother.

Send it my way, Tim;D

disorderly
08-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't think you have the right to "demand" anything of anyone..how about some live and let live.

Good point Pinhead.
Man...there's already enough people and institutions out there telling us how we should live without self- appointed do- gooders out to make trouble and cause strife due to their own personal ideals...
Get a life Timi.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Didley
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
unless it happens to be illegal and then the authorities can deal with it.

That is the point ,Pinhead:-/

TimiBoy
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
From my original post;

I didn't get the rego (too far away, and the snapper were biting) but if I had, is there anyone this can be reported to?

As you can see above, in my original post I was asking if it could be reported. I suspect it is illegal. Certainly is on our roads. If it isn't, it should be.

I find it amazing that people can produce such ill considered comments in response to a query, without actually reading the original query. Obviously people are far more interested in pulling what they want from a thread (without taking the time to understand the intent) and then shoot from the hip with their responses.

In future I shall keep my comments to myself, in the fear of being stepped on by people who obviously don't want to read, they just want to shoot.

PinHead
08-05-2008, 04:02 PM
On Monday 5th, we were fishing on the 35's, and saw a plume of smoke in the distance. Our first thought was that someone was on fire, but as it approached it proved to be a flybridge cruiser, maybe 20 years old, with very stuffed engines, belching brown smoke.

The smoke was significant, and bellowed out through the whole rev range once it was loaded. I didn't get the rego (too far away, and the snapper were biting) but if I had, is there anyone this can be reported to?

If one of my trucks were producing smoke like that, Qld Transport'd be on me like a seagull on chips.

no need to get upset Timi..all just debating a subject.
You accuse others of making assumptions or "ill considered comments" yet you have made them yourself in the original post...if you were so far away then how could you possibly even get the idea that the engines were stuffed. he may have diesel gen sets operating which could have been producing that exhaust.

As I said..no need to get all upset about it..all just debating a raised issue.

disorderly
08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
In future I shall keep my comments to myself, in the fear of being stepped on by people who obviously don't want to read, they just want to shoot.

Why?
Haven't you encountered anybody that ever disagreed with you before.
By all means let your comments be known...but if you do it on a worldwide public forum then others also have the right of reply ...if you cant handle the fact that others may think differently to you then dont reply and instead give into your "fear of being stepped on..." http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.

Scott

mod5
08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
OK keyboard cowboys. Go fishing.