PDA

View Full Version : Vic Hislop

Ocean_Spirit
06-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I have taken more of an interest in shark fishing of late, and particularly, of the sharks lurking around in Moreton Bay.

I remember as a boy visiting the Vis Hislop shark exhibition in Hervey Bay, and being awe-struck when reading some of the stories on Vic's expeditions and experiences.

I came across a website last night on him (whether his own or not unsure) and have read all of the stories and was quite amazed, particularly his experience with a 14" Tiger off Moreton in a blow-up inflatable. He's a ballsy bloke to say the least.

Any other boating and shark stories from the Moreton Bay area?

SgBFish
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I remember 60 minutes did a story on him 20 years ago and he pealed an orange with a shotgun. He used to rave about how long it would take for men on the boat to start crying and wanting to go home.
He’s certifiable.

John Buoy
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM
He created a scene many moons ago
when he rolled up at a boat ramp on
Phillip island in Victoria with 2 beasts (great whites)in tow
That had both been taken on 44gallon drums and seal bait!
Was not long after that our mentality had changed regarding
killing Great Whites.

regards frank

tunaticer
06-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Search back through the threads on this guy......lots has been said before.

Jack.

Greg P
06-05-2008, 09:01 PM
A few years ago I was fishing a baitball near the M2 beacon. I had the boatbacked up within prolly 2 ft of the bait ball and there were tuna and some small sharks attacking this baitball. I went to drop a slug straight below the baitball and just as I went to put a foot over the transom to stand on the duckboard - the biggest tiger shark I have seen swam under the outboard leg and up the starboard side of the boat on its side staring straight at me - this thing was 15-16ft easily and got the adrenaline pumpin. Wont forget those eyes in a hurry

Cheers

Greg

SeaHunt
07-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah I think he is a few roos short in the top paddock these days.
And not very PC for these times with his "the only good shark is a dead shark" attitude.
Back in about 1981? I was at the Scarborough boat harbour when he brought in his monster great white caught in Moreton Bay, weighed nearly 2 ton, they put it on top of an old car for dramatic effect and had a photo shoot.
What he didn't point out was that he was out there throwing hundreds of gallons of blood, tuna oil and god knows what else in the water for 3 days before he hooked it.
It was probably lured into Moreton Bay from 50 miles out on the edge of the continental shelf.

bigjimg
07-05-2008, 07:11 PM
There are PLENTY of smaller sharks in the bay around the 4to 6 foot in droves.Occasionally you will hook a bigger model but unless you have got heavy tackle to target them you may as well repaint the interior of your local tackle shop.Because it is gonna cost you heheheheheheh.Quickly lifted a pilly out of the snapping jaws of an angry hammerhead that would have been close to 4m about
a mile out from Wello.The day before 200 pound jinkai leader and 60 pound main
line had not a hope in turning a head .Jim

Reel Nauti
07-05-2008, 07:58 PM
In Hislop's day the world had a different attitude to great whites. It's all very well and good to sit back now and criticise him, but he comes from the same days when many of us used to treat the reef as a meat market to see how much we could bring home.
Times have changed, we've changed, our perceptions and our attitudes have changed with greater knowledge and education and we now realise that perhaps some of our fishing habits of old were wrong. But back in Vic's hayday, it wasn't wrong, and I don't think he should be criticised for it.
He hasn't hunted sharks for years and years apparently.

Cheers

Dave

Ammo79
07-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Must have been a different vic hislop I seen with a BIG tiger shark at the gattaga's boat ramp in hervey bay a few months ago then!::)

They hauled it up onto a car trailer and the bloody thing took up most of it!

finding_time
08-05-2008, 08:19 AM
In Hislop's day the world had a different attitude to great whites. It's all very well and good to sit back now and criticise him, but he comes from the same days when many of us used to treat the reef as a meat market to see how much we could bring home.
Times have changed, we've changed, our perceptions and our attitudes have changed with greater knowledge and education and we now realise that perhaps some of our fishing habits of old were wrong. But back in Vic's hayday, it wasn't wrong, and I don't think he should be criticised for it.
He hasn't hunted sharks for years and years apparently.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Unfortunately Vic hasn't changed one bit he's still a legend in his own lunchbox just ask his biggest fan, himself!!:o :o We were fishing the hbgfc this year and he came and got a dead marlin for bait so he could use it to catch some sharks which he sells.!!

He has got the worst case of short mans syndrome ever!!!

Ian

INDULGENCE
08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Reel Nauti your right on the money again Dave.
Always said there was a sensible guy behind the bourbon can.
Some of us regret what we have done in the past and some still live in the past, hopefully these ageing trophy hunters are disappearing off this sea of ours.Vic is just taking a little longer than some would hope.
Our ocean is like a big farm if managed properly we can all share in it,take more than your share and it leaves a hole for our kids
Dave hope Sue and you are well, Ruth and I are still travelling around catching a few

Wally

Dirtysanchez
08-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I went into his shark show in Hervey bay once when my mate 1st moved up there. I don't mind the factoids he has about attacks over the history of man etc, and the few bits and pieces like teeth etc, but it is disgusting how he has those dessicated old sharks in those freezers. Phew do they smell.
I was also horrified at the movies he shows in his mini theatre, they seem to be on a loop, and all showing how blokey he is and how he faces death every time he goes after a "Man eater"

Very much a throw back from a Bygone era.. He would do well to take those old shark carcasses out to sea and apologise to the shark populace at large, and do something more modern with his "show"

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
So perhaps he is still pulling in the occasional shark by the sounds of it. That's not illegal, so long as the species is not protected. I would much rather see him load up a trailer with 1 tiger than half a dozen absolute giant size red emporer?

Another very 'blokey' fella who also made his money from presenting himself as God Almighty in the crocodile arena was very much a modern day Tarzan. But's that's ok??

Crikey you blokes!

Dave

ifishcq1
08-05-2008, 10:48 AM
So perhaps he is still pulling in the occasional shark by the sounds of it. That's not illegal, so long as the species is not protected. I would much rather see him load up a trailer with 1 tiger than half a dozen absolute giant size red emporer?

Another very 'blokey' fella who also made his money from presenting himself as God Almighty in the crocodile arena was very much a modern day Tarzan. But's that's ok??

Crikey you blokes!

Dave
At least S.I. did his bit for conservation ...not hold it down and rape it for self glory like hislop does... This day and age we should all know the importance of not removing sharks from the eco system...no sharks=no fish...The sooner that fool wakes up and sees reality the better

Ocean_Spirit
08-05-2008, 10:50 AM
I came across this page regarding the current 'Shark Control Program', and an interesting link at the bottom to our current Shark Attack File:

http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2920.html

Noelm
08-05-2008, 11:12 AM
not too sure how the things he did are any different to the game Fishermen who go Shark Fishing, catch a shark, weigh it, then tow it out to sea and dump it, that still goes on at any Gamefishing comp now! only difference (maybe) was that he was a bit of a "big noter" and may have made a few Dollars out of it (perhaps) but none the less, it is still the same thing, you see stickers on cars "save the Marlin" and so on, but I have never seen a "save the Shark" sticker, not saying it is good or bad practice, or that Gamefishermen are baddies or anything else, but it is the truth!

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Taking wild animals home and locking them up in your backyard and then charging everyone to come and look at them is not conservation in my book, but that's only my opinion.
I've not posted to start a sh*t fight. I think Vic Hislop did a hell of a lot for the scientific studies of sharks over the years, and without him, science may not have the knowledge and understanding of these creatures that it currently enjoys. The movie "JAWS" was a huge hit in Hislop's day, and most of the world hated the big whites and wanted to see them strung up. Sure he made money out of displaying his captures, but that was his living. No different to other professional fishos in my view. And as I said earlier, conservation and protection of fishes great and small was not much of an issue in his day. Ron and Valerie Taylor killed far more than their fare share too in their day. But once again, in those times it was acceptable.

Cheers

Dave

finding_time
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
not too sure how the things he did are any different to the game Fishermen who go Shark Fishing, catch a shark, weigh it, then tow it out to sea and dump it, that still goes on at any Gamefishing comp now! only difference (maybe) was that he was a bit of a "big noter" and may have made a few Dollars out of it (perhaps) but none the less, it is still the same thing, you see stickers on cars "save the Marlin" and so on, but I have never seen a "save the Shark" sticker, not saying it is good or bad practice, or that Gamefishermen are baddies or anything else, but it is the truth!

Noel

Not in SE QLD comps mate!!!;) We have evolved far more than our nsw counterparts in this regard! The only fish i saw captured this year was a black that was close to netting the crew $10 000.00 And the boat that caught this fish was a nsw boat.

Mate i'm all for saving as many sharks as possible they are a apex preditor and VERY important to balanced eco system!

Ian

Ps.

Dave

Vic is not just getting the odd one or 2 he is still actively targeting the species for both his own financial gain and in his own words" The blood fun of it" or " To remove these killers for the ocean to make it safer" To compare this @$%#&^$%#@# to Steve Irwin or Ron or Val Taylor is rediculous!!! In the Taylors Case they realized the errors of the ways very quickly an have done fAR MORE GOOD THAN THEY EVER DID BAD! An steve did LOCK up Some animals but used these to pay for tracts of lane around the country to repopulate with native species!! When has Vic ever done anything but self promote!!

Greg P
08-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Noel

Not in SE QLD comps mate!!!;) We have evolved far more than our nsw counterparts in this regard! The only fish i saw captured this year was a black that was close to netting the crew $10 000.00 And the boat that caught this fish was a nsw boat.

Bloody NSWmen - where is Jeffo when you need him to ruffle the feathers

Did Vic get that grander in Hervey Bay for bait ;D;D;D

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 12:02 PM
From a different perspective: Science is/was very interested in the BIG sharks, particularly the whites. So how does one go about catching these creatures, studying them, weighing them, collecting genetic data etc etc and then release them? We're not talking about 3 mtr jobs, we're talking bloody huge! How can much be done without killing them? He couldn't take them home and put them in a tank! Not even SeaWorld has that kind of facility.

A hell of a lot of information was gained by the scientific fraternity on different captures, paritucularly though the whites, which Vic Hislop had assisted with. At times he was contracted by scientific organisations and governments, both here and overseas. Who else was there with more understanding and knowledge and the ability to catch these enormous sharks? On some occasions, science took the credit for information and data collaborated as a result of the captures, and then condemned Hislop for killing them!! How the hell does that work?

Anyway, it's interesting reading everyones points of view. Yes the fishing world has changed attitudes that's for sure. And no doubt for the betterment of our future enjoyment.

Dave

4x4frog
08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, the world is becoming tooooo PC.
As mentioned, Vic did what he did in another time, many of us applauded him for it back then, what's changed? He is still a reasonable bloke and doesn't deserve the berating he's copping. Yes times are changing and so is Vic, I am sure.
At least he isn't marauding as a scientific research vessel, he tells it like it is and doesn't hide it.

finding_time
08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
From a different perspective: Science is/was very interested in the BIG sharks, particularly the whites. So how does one go about catching these creatures, studying them, weighing them, collecting genetic data etc etc and then release them? We're not talking about 3 mtr jobs, we're talking bloody huge! How can much be done without killing them? He couldn't take them home and put them in a tank! Not even SeaWorld has that kind of facility.

A hell of a lot of information was gained by the scientific fraternity on different captures, paritucularly though the whites, which Vic Hislop had assisted with. At times he was contracted by scientific organisations and governments, both here and overseas. Who else was there with more understanding and knowledge and the ability to catch these enormous sharks? On some occasions, science took the credit for information and data collaborated as a result of the captures, and then condemned Hislop for killing them!! How the hell does that work?

Anyway, it's interesting reading everyones points of view. Yes the fishing world has changed attitudes that's for sure. And no doubt for the betterment of our future enjoyment.

Dave

Dave there is plenty of research being done on great white's of all Sizes going on atm. It's the same arguement that the japs use for whales eg we need to capture them to study them , it's B/S. There is not need to kill them you can take all the samples you like while there still alive . Vic doesn't give a hoot about reaserch he does what he does because it make him feel like a Big man, The last of the great white hunters( pun intended) I would like to know what he's has ever contributed to shark research?

Last year i sat a listened to his in depth theroy's for over an hour on sharks , it was unbelievable !!!::) i would never have believed such dribble could have come out off anyones mouth . i felt like a visitor to a freak show watching him talk!

Ian

ifishcq1
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Come on Dave what evidence is there that he ever did anything other than for Vic... he is just another Alby Mangles type profile I am not saying he should be persecuted just that it is now 2008 about time he grew up and woke up

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
It was a business to him and when there's dollars involved, how much has any business done for anything without first thinking of themselves. Not too many and not too often I would think.

As for some of the captures and killings he made and at the request and the authority of whom? Ask the Qld government, the EPA, and the Japs.

Three quarters of the worlds problems today stem from people telling other people how they should and shouldn't live, and what they should and shouldn't do. Why condemn a man for doing what he loved, earning a living, and all within the law?

Go the good 'ol Aussie tall poppy!

Dave

Murks
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
this is a nice little Black Tip caught from the Banana Banks Easter Thursday;D.....the same day got busted up three times and still no idea what by:-/...maybe bigger ones.
Brett:)

boney-leg
08-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Three quarters of the worlds problems today stem from people ...

and the other 25% is from people making up statistics ;D :-X

ifishcq1
08-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Very short poppy at best , but I do have to agree with some of the things he has done.... and if you watched some of the things done in the "name of science" in the past and now. not to mention the Japenese whalers you did say "japs', then you be the judge... I've done stuff I am not proud of now I try to be a bit more consious of what is reasonable... past is past and this is a different era and things that were accepted in the past are not now....we don't have to judge or tell anyone how to do anything... we are supposed to be civilized and you do what you have to do within acceptable bounds or at least your own moral grounds

finding_time
08-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Dave

Please read this CAREFULLY as you have missed the point of a few of my previous posts!

Tall poppy?? What the !!! Vic hislop hasn't done anything to suffer this sysdrome!

It's not the business side of his practices that i have an issue with, in that respect he's really no differant from any profisher! I also have no issue with what he did 20 years ago, you cant judge someone on there past practices using todays standards.

Today Vic is still doing what he did 20 years ago catching sharks! He gets orders in from all over the world to supply large sharks for display at various venues! Hey it's a living and again i'm not judging him on this, what i am judging him on is his kill for kills sake even when he knows that he wont use that particular specimin. The lies he tells to justify this slaughter!!!!!!!!! Eg. according to Vic there are over 2000 fatal shark attacks in Aus every year!!!!! Yep there being covered up buy the government to protect the tourist industry!! The Gov is deliberatly underestimating the large shark numbers to drive HIM broke! it goes on and on, in facrt every time he opens his mouth i have a problem with him!!

Dave i am struggling to see how you apparently look up ( or down) to this guy!

Ian

Reel Nauti
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I don't look up to him Ian. Maybe I have emotionally overcharged my comments because it seems to me that everyone is out to get everyone. If you look at some of the threads, just in the boating section, of people judging others without any real knowledge of the facts I find it disheartening that we choose to take so many others to task.

Perhaps I am wrong in my respect for Vic's right to do as he chooses within the law. It's not a case of looking up nor down to anyone, just a simple matter of respect for anothers choice if it is lawful.

Moving to Brisbane has presented a huge learning curve and a real challenge for me. I have to say that to so far I don't like it one bit. I'm not used to a dog eat dog attitude, or people having to take extreme measures to prevent theft, or worrying about your car and trailer at the ramp. And then we get someone wanting to ring the authorities because a boat was blowing exhaust smoke, and a mountain of ridicule for a bloke who was/is doing what he knows best! It just seems so savage and cruel and needless to attack people who have not broken any law or caused anyone harm.

It's not the way I was brought up nor the way I have raised my kids nor the way I try to influence my grandies. Live and let live for Christ's sake. We've only got one go at this life, it isn't a dress rehearsal.

Cheers

Dave

jeffo
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Bloody NSWmen - where is Jeffo when you need him to ruffle the feathers

Did Vic get that grander in Hervey Bay for bait ;D;D;D

Here i am!::) ;D but it would seam im not required here as plenty of feathers have been ruffled with out my handy work. ;D

finding_time
08-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Here i am!::) ;D but it would seam im not required here as plenty of feathers have been ruffled with out my handy work. ;D

Just helping out mate !;) I figured you had study to do!!:D Cant let Mel get a higher gpa than you!:P

Ian

stinky-stabi
09-05-2008, 10:09 AM
vic's a decent bloke a lot more than i can say for all you knockers, take a look at yourself's. lunch box legend you say finding time , just because some of us live boring mundane lives is no reason to small poppy people that have the balls to chase there dreams or wat ever turns them on... get a life.................

jj

mod5
09-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Time for keyboard cowboys to go fishing.