PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your catch.

Mrs Ronnie H
06-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi All

I was just wondering what you all do with the fish you catch.
Do you share them up equally or keep just what you catch yourself.

Let me know

Ronnie

Marlin_Mike
06-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Well ya see ronnie, like man you first have to catch enough fish to divvy up.............

Mike

ronnien
06-05-2008, 06:53 PM
hi ron, we always share the catch equally & if theres alot we fillet together.

ron.

Keechie
06-05-2008, 07:04 PM
if i catch a nice fish i give it to some good friends of ours(particularly flathead they love flathead in the pasta) i fillet them, scale them, skin them and gut them do it all for them so its fresh and ready and give it to them that night or the day after. if i go fishing with them they clean the boat while i fillet the whiting, flathead etc. which i don't mind i rather do that as i can fillet pretty well. most fish i catch are released but when i go with them i will happily take a fish for thewm asas i now its the sunday feast.

regards,
keechie

mowerman
06-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Eat it.......................

Cammy
06-05-2008, 07:58 PM
yer eat it.

i only usually take liek 1 or 2 fish, and sometimes not even that, i dont need like 5 fish to eat in the coming days, to be left in the frezzer to go mushy and taste yuck, i would rather just take 1 or 2 for that night.

i usually bake them whole, in the oven or barby mmmmm delicious!

Cammo

nuggstar
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
i let all my fish go back (swimming)

Mr__Bean
07-05-2008, 12:17 PM
If we have a crew onboard then we usually try to split the cost and split the catch, recognising that someone may have had an exceptional catch though.

- Darren

ant_72
07-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Hi there Ronnie, we share the fish around to family and friends so that we can all benefit from a successful day out as not all my family and friends are able to get out or find the time. Also how has the new gear gone for you

Lucky_Phill
07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
always share the catch.

Salt water brine....

Fillet, skin, de-bone and cryovac.( about 1 - 1.5 kg bags )

Except fish that will be eaten within the next fortnight.

Neighbours get some, rellies get some.....

Frames returned to the oceans food chain as Berley.....

Phill

coucho
07-05-2008, 02:18 PM
chill it clean it cook it eat it
always share the catch equal and if me or my fishing partners are out of fish its a phone call and a hey what you up to this weekend I am out of fish. Every trip also followed by the traditional "quality control sampling of the catch" bbq with a few beers thrown in for good measure.

Dirtysanchez
07-05-2008, 02:47 PM
If I take a mate I'll generally let him take the lot unless it is a heap of fish (unlikely with my fishing skills)

If I fish on my own I'll only keep a few, enough for a feed.. or I will let them all go if its slow going

aussiefool
07-05-2008, 04:57 PM
If land based I usally give them to the bloke I fish with, ...mmmm same if I'm on a boat unless it is one that I really want to keep to eat myself. I also so have a hard and fast rule if you clean it you keep it. ( I hate cleaning fish);D;D

mattooty
07-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Catch, fillet and release! ;)

FNQCairns
07-05-2008, 05:58 PM
How come people don't like fish that has been frozen? I do not notice much difference, seems to be some sort of urban justification for something or other, 6 months may be a little long but gee never heard a complaint whenever fresh has been served with frozen whenever the eater has not known. Some fish like Taylor which is in some ways borderline flesh is amazing eating 20min after caught, anyway suspect they don't like fish much anyway??? or it is fish species specific, some go flowery etc.

cheers fnq

cameron walker
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I share my catch with deckies.I have a sunbeam vac paker and its awsome.My two kids and I have fish 2 to 3 times a week.We recently had a packet of spotty mackeral that was over 18 months frozen and it was great.I always keep anything legal killed and bled and into an ice slurry then eaten fresh or vac paked and frozen.ALWAYS RETURN FRAMES AS BURLEY OR MAKE STOCK FOR FISH CURRYS.I could not even think of buying fish when I know that the quality of my fish has to be better .(Still cant get the missus to eat fish , owell more for me.)

Horse
07-05-2008, 08:26 PM
My frozen fillets are pretty good

We share among those that want a feed

chief 1
07-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Me,my brother and my parents share the fish equally and if we catch a really good amount we invite all the relatives over as well

tigermullet
08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Sometimes it is a kiss and goodbye and other times it is just stab, stab, stab - until the medication kicks in.

Which is why you should never upset another fisho. He might be even more insane than you.

Seriously, I thought you just caught em and ate em;D

disorderly
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
All top rated eating fish...trout.... sweeties....nannies..spanish..are kept.
I also keep a sharky mackeral or 2 for my neighbor...he loves them.
Most everything else....trevally...cobia...shark are released.

I also agree that many fish freeze very well....I also find it better to cook it while still partly frozen.
I've had some fish up to a year old and still good to chew.

Scott

Angla
08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I have only ever bagged out on squire once. Just not that good at it. I think I gave 3 of them away to friends. If they were big snapper I probably would have only kept 2. 1 for me and 1 to give away.

I normally just get a few feeds or less.

Chris

Disorderley. I would rate Cobia as one of the best eating, After trout.

disorderly
08-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Disorderley. I would rate Cobia as one of the best eating, After trout.

Yes mate, I agree they are some good chewing alright...
However, I have a bit of a soft spot for them and would prefer to release them.....besides we are never short of fish around here anyway.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Mrs Ronnie H
09-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi All

Thanks for all the replies--- Just wondered what yo all did.???
We keep our biggest fish and share the rest equally.

Ronnie

alphas
09-05-2008, 05:55 PM
keep only if to be eaten in next couple of days..dont have room in the freezer with all the baby food etc..