PDA

View Full Version : Whats your method?

Orange_hains
06-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey guys i was just wondering whats peoples method of catching a good feed of reefies ?

Bottom bash ?

float ?

Jig?

Gang?

bearly trail ?

soft plastic ?

or other methods ?

i have been bottom bashing with 3 septrate hooks or a gang of 4 for many years now and thinking of trying a new way and was wondering how you guys get on to nice fish
;D :clown: :tekst-toppie:

cptpott
06-05-2008, 08:54 PM
All of the above mate!
Depends on the day. What the current is like, what depth, what fish you are targetting etc.
General rule of thumb for big snapper etc. is floaters or livies in the burley trail.
Give em all a crack!
Cheers
Craig.

dog tooth
07-05-2008, 04:33 PM
went to deep tempest monday, the patinoster rig caught most of the perlies.
the floater caught the bigger snapper

cheers
dog tooth

Vindicator
07-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Agree with the above. You will probably pull up more fish with the paternoster but for quality fish try floatlining or plastics.

Cheers
Kezza

jtpython
07-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Agree with all the above but i don't use a paternoster rig, and after most trips of late i'm still catching 75% of the catch i use a double leader with the hook on bottom with the sinker 400 mm above the hook and this works great for me,
At times we'll drift but most of time anchor and bottom bash with floaters out the back in the current
JT

coucho
07-05-2008, 05:07 PM
I always fish both have a bottom rig and a floater if the current is running I run a small bean sinker but still have the floater going.
generally find the bigger ones hit the floater in the burley trail rather then the bottom basher but do get some good fish on the bottom basher from time to time.

block
07-05-2008, 06:42 PM
All Of The Above
If One Works Better Then Go With It
Cover All The Water You Can

adds31
07-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Used a patternoster for a long time. Now use a running sinker on set of gangs with good success, size depends on run but generaly use what ever just gets you to the bottom without to much line out. Lighter the better.

Cheers Adds...

revs57
08-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Very rarely will I go paternoster, usually only in a strong current using a heavy snapper lead, although last time out Swano used a light snapper lead and a one hook paternoster baited up a 7" nuke chook and pulled the best snapper of the trip...go figure????

Mostly we'll drift...if ya pull one fish per drift and do a dozen or 15 hangs, you've got a reasonable box at the end of it all. So we'll drift with plastics or bait (O.k. so I'm not a true convert!!!).

Depending on the day and current and waht the fish are doing (or not doing) we will anchor and berley floating placcies and or baits down the berley trail.

Yep, it all depends on the day

Cheers

Rhys

dayoo
08-05-2008, 08:35 PM
I use a modified paternoster for pearlies and Red emperor. The top rig is attached by means of a swivel with another smaller swivel looped over the top of the vertical swivel (they are made this way and are sold in a packet of 12) and I attach a two hooked snood rig to the horizontal swivel. A livie can be attached to the two hooks and swims around and around the dropper leader without causing any tangles. The bottom loop is a single hook standard paternoster set close to the bottom just up from the 8oz lead. This rig was shown to me years ago by a commercial fisherman and really nails good fish.

For other reefies and snapper I use a standard two hook snood rig with the sinker right on top of the hooks (sinker size from 4 to 10 ball depending on water depth and current).

Cheers
Barry

backlash08
08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
I reckon all the above is good, for me I still find it is a story of bait (or SP). Running sinker on single hook on the bottom, floaters in heaps of berley out the back but the fresher the bait the better, big snaps on floater and everything else on the bottom.....most impotantly, enjoy experiemnting
cheers
Craig

sangan
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Hi, I'm not much of a fisherman yet but the sport is good fun. Ausfish is doing a great job at teaching me all the little things I need to know.

Would anyone care to point out to me (and possibly others out there) what a floater is? Thanks!

revs57
09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
G'day sangan,

Yeah, a floater is a running sinker rig (or somethimes no sinker if there is no current and depending on depth of water) that is weighted to allow the bait to gently "float" down the water column into the strike zone over and against a bottom bouncer that bombs the bottom and hold the bait within a metre or so of the bottom

Cheers

Rhys

Custaro
09-05-2008, 10:24 AM
I was never a big fan of the paternoster rig. Then, thanks to Ausfish, I tried a couple of things and got right into it.

For a reef trip now I will tie about a dozen open ended paternoster rigs with a single dropper. Attach a hook by threading onto line and using a small aluminium crimp allowing the hook to swing free.

The bottom of the rig, I can then attach a gang with a running sinker for macks/cobia, or floating for rising reefies. I can tie a loop to use snapper leads if getting to the bottom is an issue or tie a double hook snell rig for live baits. For all, the dropper has a chunk of squid or tuna attached.

On my main line I keep a good bearing swivel and can simply cut and attach new rigs once damaged. Simple, fast and covers almost everything.