PDA

View Full Version : Public Holiday Mayhem

SummerTrance
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Well with the number of boats on the water today, im sure there's a few good stories to be told of idiots on the water and at the ramps.

Have your vent here, or other humerous stories would be good.

I lost count of how many boats I saw driving past other boats at anchor within 20 metres doing 25 knots. Boats going every which way and places the shouldnt be, such as 20-25 knots through the turtle & dugong zones at Peel. Aswell as numerous boats driving onto the ramp, then stopping at the waters edge to untie lightboards and tiedowns.

I guess thats what you get with good weather on public hols.

Leighton
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey mate was that you I saw fishing Peel this morning?

Black_Rat
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I launched from Spinika at Bribie at around 5am this morning and retrieved at around 3pm this afternoon and while there was a 6 deep wait everyone was orginised :)

SummerTrance
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Capt.

Yeh that was me. Took the missus and son for a run in the bay and a quick fish. The fishing didnt last too long. After 20 mins, Mandy put her rod down and said her arms were sore, 20 mins later.... it was 'im bored'. so we went down the beach at horseshoe bay.

I thought that was you. was gunna yell out but we drifted in different directions. How did you go, get any? was that a small cod ya got near us?

Leighton
05-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Ha ha, I did the same. Didnt bother fishing any of my usual spots, I picked up 2 Flathead one 50 and the other about 40 near where I saw you, to many boats.
Picked my wife up about 9 and had a picnic in Horseshoe Bay aswell.
Yeah it was a little Greasy, rhe water is pretty clear and the amount of boat traffic killed any good fishing

seajay535
05-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I also launched at spinnaker around 5ish and it was very good for a busy morning back at 11.30 still all good.only i saw were hammering thru about 20 of us drifting for whiting out at the cockle banks.there was plenty of water for a 30 foot boat but i guess he wanted us all to have a close look so we now know what a tosser looks like.

datamile
05-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Went yesterday instead... good day out, except for the 30cm of water at vic point ramp when we got back at 3pm. Glad we had a nice tinny rather than f/g searay 185 of people that we went out with.

Few people stuggle to get their boats out, and a few trailer issues as they fell off the ramp end into the mud. Help one guy back his car upto the water edge, and take a run at it, rather than wheel spinning from standing start on the ramp lip.

uripper
06-05-2008, 04:38 AM
I launched from Spinika at Bribie at around 5am this morning and retrieved at around 3pm this afternoon and while there was a 6 deep wait everyone was orginised :)

Same experience for us at Bribie - 12 boats lined up late arvo = all good - people were helping each other out :) :)

reddybayfisher
06-05-2008, 05:56 AM
I didn't venture out...but thought it would be entertaining to have a look at Redland Bay Boat Ramp at low tide...fair enough boats were coming in and to the unknown boaties there is a drop of at the end of the boat ramp about 1m deep.....quite a few people put there trailers over the edge only then to realise the drop of is there (mind you there is signage about the drop off)...watching some people now know their is a drop off and then think how am I going to get my 6.5m boat out now....to my amazement the boaties in aluminium boats did quite well....others were determined to get there boat out and eventually did....one smart family (I think anyway) in a nice 6.35 Hunter (looked relatively new) decided to tie up at the pontoon and wait for the tide to come in....the dad took the kids home and Mum stayed at the boat....watching a boat ramp on a public holiday is more entertaining than watching Big Brother I reckon.....

Blackened
06-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Hey mate was that you I saw fishing Peel this morning?

G'day

That was me as well, I was the 12' tinny launching as you were yesterday

Dave

TheRealAndy
06-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Saw a boat in a pile up on the highway just near the caboolture offramp yesterday. Couldn't see the outboard, not sure if it was sitting in someones car. Everyone looked ok.

TimiBoy
06-05-2008, 07:04 AM
We launched from Raby Bay private ramp at 5 am, came back 2 pm. It was bedlam on the public ramps, thank God for my membership! There was one non member pulled up on my beach in the afternoon - a bit of a rant here - we pay for the privilege, why should that person have had it for free??? If I'd needed that beach I would have, I bet, had an argument on my hands, and that shouldn't happen.

On a lighter note, I caught my first Mack, and we had a great day out, thanks to some expert tuition from Trevor, who's ID I will keep secret unless he wants otherwise! ;D

The weather was magnificent, and we nearly bagged out on Snapper, ranging from 1 - 3 Kg, plus several slightly undersize. We had a n00b on board (Dave) as well, and he had an absolute BLAST! Most came from the 29's, including the Mack, and a bit of action on the 35's.

I was also rapt to be pulled over by the Fisheries guys for the first time, all was in order, I was just pleased to find they were really out there!

Fresh BBQ Mack in breadcrumbs with salad. Most satisfying meal I've had for ages!!!!

ozscott
06-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Well done Timiboy. I am a member there also, but havent used that ramp in about 5 months! Great facility though. I am keen to get out as its getting colder. How was the bar?

Cheers

Danbar77
06-05-2008, 07:49 AM
I launched at the boat ramp on Gympie Tce Noosaville and the car park was full but not an idiot in sight (sight was unusual) spent a few hours trolling around with no luck, but like Summertrance said... nice weather for a long weekend.

Summertrance: did little man have a fun time out?

TimiBoy
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
South Passage Bar was a pussycat Monday. A bit bumpy, but no dramas at all

DR
06-05-2008, 09:45 AM
We launched from Raby Bay private ramp at 5 am, came back 2 pm. It was bedlam on the public ramps, thank God for my membership! There was one non member pulled up on my beach in the afternoon - a bit of a rant here - we pay for the privilege, why should that person have had it for free??? If I'd needed that beach I would have, I bet, had an argument on my hands, and that shouldn't happen.

On a lighter note, I caught my first Mack, and we had a great day out, thanks to some expert tuition from Trevor, who's ID I will keep secret unless he wants otherwise! ;D

The weather was magnificent, and we nearly bagged out on Snapper, ranging from 1 - 3 Kg, plus several slightly undersize. We had a n00b on board (Dave) as well, and he had an absolute BLAST! Most came from the 29's, including the Mack, and a bit of action on the 35's.

I was also rapt to be pulled over by the Fisheries guys for the first time, all was in order, I was just pleased to find they were really out there!

Fresh BBQ Mack in breadcrumbs with salad. Most satisfying meal I've had for ages!!!!

what & where is the Raby Bay private ramp, how much is m/ship & where do you join??
on a stirrers note..how does it become a private beach?? i thought all below the high tide mark was public domain?::)

Outsider1
06-05-2008, 09:51 AM
what & where is the Raby Bay private ramp, how much is m/ship & where do you join??
on a stirrers note..how does it become a private beach?? i thought all below the high tide mark was public domain?::)

They would have Riparian Rights, as does someone who has a Canal property etc;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riparian_water_rights

Cheers

Dave

TimiBoy
06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
The ramp, the pontoon, and the small beach between them are fenced off, and there is a Redland City Council sign, warning that the area is off limits to non members. The beach is free of stones because it is kept that way by the club.

Whether it can be argued that people have some right to the spot because of law X or condition Y is irrelevant. If you want to have the right to use a spot which is maintained at the expense of a club, then take the trouble to join that club, and pay your dues. Otherwise rack off! Why should people spend their money setting up a nice spot for someone else who doesn't want to make the investment??

SummerTrance
06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Summertrance: did little man have a fun time out?

Hey Dan, Lincoln had a good time running amok around the boat when we were fishing, getting in my way like they do, and as always had a great time at the beach.

DR
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
The ramp, the pontoon, and the small beach between them are fenced off, and there is a Redland City Council sign, warning that the area is off limits to non members. The beach is free of stones because it is kept that way by the club.

Whether it can be argued that people have some right to the spot because of law X or condition Y is irrelevant. If you want to have the right to use a spot which is maintained at the expense of a club, then take the trouble to join that club, and pay your dues. Otherwise rack off! Why should people spend their money setting up a nice spot for someone else who doesn't want to make the investment??

aaahhh, but it may not work that way TimiBoy...many years ago around Sydney Harbourfront , all the wealthy decided they owned all the way to the water & put in plants, benches even BBQs, any that looked at a street directory could see a green strip all around the foreshores, that meant it was designated parkland. it was never developed as such & the residents claimed it as their own. Boy, did it create some problems when it was made public, everyone decided to have barbies at the bottom of what these people thought was their gardens..just because you keep it clean may not mean it's yours.. that is why i asked the question. i don't use that area anyway, so it's neither here or there to me..a bit like beaches having speed limits, because they are public property..

SunnyCoastMark
06-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Mooloolaba Boat ramp (coastguard side) 5.30am Monday morning. Car park full - had to park on the road - no worries.

What annoyed me was the 10 or 12 cars without boat trailers parked in the Car and Trailer parks>:(.

Came back in at midday and most of them were still there. I can only gather they were out with mates who had boats.

No tickets on any of them. ::)

Mark

Leighton
06-05-2008, 01:45 PM
G'day

That was me as well, I was the 12' tinny launching as you were yesterday

Dave

early start mate, how did you go?

Seahorse
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
good point DR.
Still dont know details of membership etc.
Might be a special club:-X

TimiBoy
06-05-2008, 03:05 PM
aaahhh, but it may not work that way TimiBoy...many years ago around Sydney Harbourfront , all the wealthy decided they owned all the way to the water & put in plants, benches even BBQs, any that looked at a street directory could see a green strip all around the foreshores, that meant it was designated parkland. it was never developed as such & the residents claimed it as their own. Boy, did it create some problems when it was made public, everyone decided to have barbies at the bottom of what these people thought was their gardens..just because you keep it clean may not mean it's yours.. that is why i asked the question. i don't use that area anyway, so it's neither here or there to me..a bit like beaches having speed limits, because they are public property..

Yep, and in that situation I'd agree - but this is not the same. the partition fence between the public/private ramps extends well into the water, WELL past low low tide mark, and the beach is signposted by the Redland City Council, (being the relevant regulatory body) specifically stating it's for the use of club members.

The beach is only about 10 metres across, and is bounded on one side by the private ramp, and on the other by the private pontoon, then the breakwater. It is soooo clearly fenced off that it is obvious to Blind Freddy that something's going on, but some folks just don't want the rules applying to them, do they?

Indeed to get from your boat (should you have your trailer in the public section) to your trailer, you have to swim out past the fence and back around. If you don't think you should be checking whether you're in the right spot under those conditions, you deserve to be shot. Honestly, it's that damned obvious, and I only hope they shoot before the offender has kids, so they don't get the chance to pass on some obviously defective genetic material.>:(

thelump
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I didn't venture out...but thought it would be entertaining to have a look at Redland Bay Boat Ramp at low tide...fair enough boats were coming in and to the unknown boaties there is a drop of at the end of the boat ramp about 1m deep.....quite a few people put there trailers over the edge only then to realise the drop of is there (mind you there is signage about the drop off)...watching some people now know their is a drop off and then think how am I going to get my 6.5m boat out now....to my amazement the boaties in aluminium boats did quite well....others were determined to get there boat out and eventually did....one smart family (I think anyway) in a nice 6.35 Hunter (looked relatively new) decided to tie up at the pontoon and wait for the tide to come in....the dad took the kids home and Mum stayed at the boat....watching a boat ramp on a public holiday is more entertaining than watching Big Brother I reckon.....
Hi Reddybayfisher

I was probably one of those people who amused you yesterday. My mate drove the trailer down and went straight off the edge. Even with our 4wd it was near impossible to get back up.(And he is a local of many years)Lucky he was there watching the chaos or it may have meant a divorce:) .But honestly that ramp is crap. I dont know how they can let it go on.>:(

tropicrows
06-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Timboy,
I have been thinking for joining, do you know if there is a waiting list & roughly how much is it. I prefer to have the car and trailer locked up securely, when out at night. I fished around peel Sunday night, we only managed two keepers, but threw back between 40 to 50 undersize squire. I was also amazed with the number of boats who did'nt seen to have any nav lights.

Blackened
06-05-2008, 05:01 PM
early start mate, how did you go?

G'day

Fishing the west marker area on the NW corner as you saw, also saw that clown pulled over by fisheries planing inside the go slow zone, around 8am.

A bream @ 36, Snapper at 36 and tailor at 31.

Not huge, but nice variety and legal

Also fished over near the isolated danger buoy on the eastern side of lazaretts, If you were the complete knob who was skippering the 6.5/7m RIB and decided to put your throttle down 5 meters away from me after you were on a collision course, creating a sizeable wake that was dangerous, then you need to hand your lisence in. This was around 5-530am.

Dave

SeaHunt
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
I think a lot of people must only get their boat wet a couple of times a year, a week ago on Sunday at the Nudgee ramp a guy put his boat in started it up loaded a heap of people in and started to pull out only to find his steering was siezed up.
A big islander yanking hard on the wheel while someone else was flogging the guts out of the steering arm with a metal bar at the other end ensured it was completely stuffed and they had to pull her out again.
If they had been a bit more gentle and used a shifter and some WD40 she might have loosened up.
Yesterday I came back to the same ramp to see a fibreglass boat high and dry with what looked like the starter motor pulled out and in pieces. There was a guy there waiting with his trailer for the tide to come in so he could and refloat and retrieve it.
Probably only had another 6 hours to wait, thats if the tide came in far enough.
Now when it wouldn't start, I don't think running it up the beach at high tide is the way to go.
My pet hate at Nudgee is idiots who park in the boat rigging area and sit down and have a picnic at the tables there or have a fish, that and those who fish off the pontoon and don't want to move when you want to tie up there.

reddybayfisher
06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi Reddybayfisher

I was probably one of those people who amused you yesterday. My mate drove the trailer down and went straight off the edge. Even with our 4wd it was near impossible to get back up.(And he is a local of many years)Lucky he was there watching the chaos or it may have meant a divorce:) .But honestly that ramp is crap. I dont know how they can let it go on.>:(

I agree something has to be done....that drop off is a killer at low tide....they need to paint the rocks again to indicate the drop off....unknowingly it could be quite dangerous.....

Tassie JR
06-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey we arrived a maloolaba at 4.45am and waited about 15 mins for our turn to launch when some bloke rocks up jumps in front of 5 boats backs half way down the ramp takes his straps off and puts his rods in his rocket launches and then decides to launch his boat it didnt worry me a real lot but it aint real good, All in all we got the boat in the water in the end and had a good day out, We got back to the ramp just on dark, so there wasnt much boat traffic about, went and got the car, had a bit off trouble loading the boat due to the current going 100 mile an hour when a fella fishing off the bank puts his rod down and came and gave us a hand, thanks matey, we stayed and helped another fella having trouble with his boat so it was all good. If more people took the time to help another fisherman out the world would be a betta place.

cheers tassie JR

SummerTrance
06-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Fishing the west marker area on the NW corner as you saw, also saw that clown pulled over by fisheries planing inside the go slow zone, around 8am Dave

It's about time the fisheries got someone for that. I see that happen every time im at Peel. Hope they got fined!

Leighton
06-05-2008, 08:32 PM
G'day

Fishing the west marker area on the NW corner as you saw, also saw that clown pulled over by fisheries planing inside the go slow zone, around 8am.

A bream @ 36, Snapper at 36 and tailor at 31.

Not huge, but nice variety and legal

Also fished over near the isolated danger buoy on the eastern side of lazaretts, If you were the complete knob who was skippering the 6.5/7m RIB and decided to put your throttle down 5 meters away from me after you were on a collision course, creating a sizeable wake that was dangerous, then you need to hand your lisence in. This was around 5-530am.

Dave
yeah that same rooster did a fly by me, about 10m away.
I pulled up the electric and moved spots, I dont think Marine Parks can fine you?
Boating and Fisheries were out there a week ago, 2 ladies in a boat. Big thumbs up to them. They signaled from a distance and waited until I was ready for them to approach. Did a safety and fish check then moved off quietly.

DJ77
06-05-2008, 08:55 PM
we left bribie around 5am out to ocean side bottom of bribie was quite rough again on the SE tip once passed that it was smooth as outside
got a few macks lost a tuna kept a cod and got heaps of undersize reefies on SPs got checked out by the fisheries they were cool as
came back into the washing machine around 11am (passage) boats everywere glad we were outside
ramp was busy but still ok i think it was worse at the ramp last week

countbaysea
06-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Out fishing on monday north of harries and a 3 meter tinny with 3 guys rock up. They pointed to moreton and asked the guy next to us if that is peel island. He Pointed them in the direction of peel and they headed off.
Hope they had a big fuel tank.