PDA

View Full Version : Rail Mounted Flared SS Rod Holders

Splash
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Team,

I need your help in locating Rail Mounted Flared SS 316 Rod Holders.

Anyone have specific links?

Regards

Splash

Splash
06-05-2008, 06:12 AM
I would liek to know the ideal angle rod holders should be placed at when trolling for pelagaics..

Splash

peterbo3
06-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Splash,
Google "SS Rod Holders". The answer is out there.

death_ship
06-05-2008, 04:06 PM
whitworths, i got mine at around 5 degree pitch for max spread and lanyards so i dont lose my rod. had to weld them as the spot weld in them was piss weak
http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=136&item=71967&intAbsolutePage=1

Splash
06-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Great one!

Wha tis the internal diamter of these holders?

What do u mean "pitch" - is this angle form the horizontal?

How do derive max spread by such an angle?

where is the spot weld in thes ehodlers?

Would they weld well to a rail?

Regards

Splash

John Buoy
06-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Internal Diameter is 41mm.
The rail mount is pretty sturdy.
I use them on my targa and find them very good.
They can be used in multiple ways.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6179/gamerodholder001smallxu1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Regards Frank

Splash
06-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Looks good Frank!

But, I want to use these holders for trolling.

Do u use the same rod holders for trolling as well?

If so, how do u ensure they will not rip off - at the spot weld..as mentioned above?

Splash

John Buoy
07-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not quite sure what spot welds were talking about ::)
Maybe the gimbal pin inside the holder,otherwise these holders are very strong and sturdy and once clamped to your rail they wont come off unless your rail goes with it ;D. They will do the job up to 24kg tackle no probs and the polished finish on them is very good.
I use mine for trolling when use a 6 rod spread and these are attached to the tag lines on the riggers.
They look awkward but work very very well;)

Regards Frank

Splash
07-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks Frank.

How well woudl a Tyrnos 30 sit in these holders?

Would they rotate around (and hence face down and not up) easily?

I have checked these out on Whitworths and they appear to have a plastic threaded liner on inside...does this restrict the butt from going all the way through?

Splash

Jono_SS
07-05-2008, 08:19 AM
i thought the rule of thumb was to keep the rod tips down as low to the water as possible.

I have set mine up like this (angled only slightly up), and pointing slightly forward.

I have caught pelagics like small macs (spotties and schoolies), tuna, a small hamerhead and a 15kg spaniard using this setup, so I admit I don't know what happens if a beakie takes the line! but I do know that the only problem i have had with rods coming out is when a good fish takes off, it's very very hard to get the rod out, even with the adrenalin pumping!!

these holders are available from whitworths. i used loc tite on the internal screw holding the thing together as it tended to vibrate loose.

all in all, i'm very happy with them.

Splash
07-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Hi Jono.

Thanks for input.

Yes, ideally I will have my rods at minimal pitch as well.

How do you ensure the rod does not fly out - even with the smoothest of drags. You never never know...

Are you that confident of not having to restrain the rod in some way?

Why is it very very hard to remove rod from holder with large fish on? - This does not sound good.

Death Ship mentioned earlier the "spot weld was very weak" in these units. Your thoughts?

How well would a Tyrnos 30 sit in these holders?

Would they rotate around (and hence face down and not up) easily?

I have checked these out on Whitworths and they appear to have a plastic threaded liner on inside...does this restrict the butt from going all the way through?

Splash

John Buoy
07-05-2008, 08:54 AM
i thought the rule of thumb was to keep the rod tips down as low to the water as possible.

I have set mine up like this (angled only slightly up), and pointing slightly forward.

I have caught pelagics like small macs (spotties and schoolies), tuna, a small hamerhead and a 15kg spaniard using this setup, so I admit I don't know what happens if a beakie takes the line! but I do know that the only problem i have had with rods coming out is when a good fish takes off, it's very very hard to get the rod out, even with the adrenalin pumping!!

these holders are available from whitworths. i used loc tite on the internal screw holding the thing together as it tended to vibrate loose.

all in all, i'm very happy with them.

Jono as quoted these up high are specifically for use with outriggers
and tag lines where the height of the towed line is dictated by
the outrigger and not the rod tip;) under drag pressure they are easy to remove from the holder but I can see it being a problem when used as an extender as in the photo above.
Splash these holders will accomodate a 30lb outfit no probs.

PS you will need an L-link key to adjust them.
Regards Frank

Jono_SS
07-05-2008, 10:01 AM
john bouy
i did miss the bit about outriggers in your second message. but i didn't think Splash was thinking about attaching outriggers, so I was passing on the rule of thumb to him (i.e. excluding the use of outriggers, and downriggers too I guess). your setup does look very professional!

Splash.

i guess the rods are hard to remove because of the forceful effects of leverage "wedging" them into the holder - remember, I have them angled slightly forwards. It would be a lot easier to remove them if they were pointing backwards! a little too easy I would suggest!!!!

I am not worried about the rods coming out while trolling - the gimbal seems to lock the rods into the holders nicely and also because of the lever effect. I wouldn't store rods in there when not trolling! and might be a bit wary if it was rough.

not sure about any spot welds.

they have a pin at the bottom, so as long as your rod has a gimble, you can rotate any way you want (i.e. reel at 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees). the pin would stop a rod going "all the way through".

hope that answers most of your questions.

John Buoy
07-05-2008, 12:12 PM
No worries jono and thanks for the compliments

sid_fishes
07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
splash, i think you need to pm me cheers ian

Splash
07-05-2008, 06:16 PM
pm sent.........

Splash
07-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Internal diameter is 41mm.

My rod butts are 37mm.

- giving 2mm clearance all around.

Will this be too tight in this rod holder?

Splash

death_ship
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
just a word of caution guys when you undo the mounting bracket look inside and you will see it is welded to the actual tube thr rod sits in, this is the weld that cracked in mine. as i was mucking around putting a rod in and it fell off in my hand, could be a disaster if putting a rod in and not yet secured by lanyard and it breaks off! so i just used a tig to weld it on the outside, i use them for trolling, do the allen keys bolts up tight with a lubricant so they dont seize and they are tight enough for most things even big hex heads, keep em low as possible for trolling. lanyards are a must. also great for deadsticking plastics. I found the locktite was needed as well

Splash
07-05-2008, 08:23 PM
thansk DS -

recommended lanyard brand?

Splash

Horse
07-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Yea, why they do not spend a little more and weld them properly is beyond me. Apart from that they are good units and ours are 6 or 7 years old

I just use some polyester cord and a SS clip as a lanyard

death_ship
07-05-2008, 09:16 PM
i made my own, stainless lanyard clip with stainless wire crimped

Splash
07-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Internal diameter is 41mm.

My rod butts are 37mm.

- giving 2mm clearance all around.

Will this be too tight in this rod holder?

Splash

Jono_SS
08-05-2008, 05:51 AM
I see now, so it might be a good idea to attach the lanyard, not in case the rods fall out, but in case the rod holder snaps off!

thanks for the advice.

Splash
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Sold!

Just ordered 6 off.

Thanks for all your help guys..

Splash

Splash
20-05-2008, 07:12 PM
just a word of caution guys when you undo the mounting bracket look inside and you will see it is welded to the actual tube thr rod sits in, this is the weld that cracked in mine. as i was mucking around putting a rod in and it fell off in my hand, could be a disaster if putting a rod in and not yet secured by lanyard and it breaks off! so i just used a tig to weld it on the outside, i use them for trolling, do the allen keys bolts up tight with a lubricant so they dont seize and they are tight enough for most things even big hex heads, keep em low as possible for trolling. lanyards are a must. also great for deadsticking plastics. I found the locktite was needed as well

Death Ship and others - I have just receinved these rod holders and yes, the spot wleds are ordinary. I will be tigging mine up as well.

The bolts do not look like SS316. I think I change these as well.

I am also concerned how far the rod sits out of the actual rod holder itself.

If I drill these pins out and slide the rod right through - do u think this is viable and fishable?

Splash