PDA

View Full Version : Joshua w/a or cuddy cab

bigjimg
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Gidday all
Want to know if anyone has a Joshua walkaround or cuddy cab they can tell me about.And their value for money as compared to a fibreglass boat
of the same size.I would prefer if you had the boat built and considered fibreglass as an option.I have ridden in a few platey's but not the flared hull offered by Joshua.Thanks in advce.8-) Jim

tin can marlin
05-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Jim the joshua is a very nice rig and i think you will be surpriced how good they go out wide. Haveing said that you should ring col up at fisher boats they are hard to beat for the money. And best of all he supports ausfish.

Matt_F
06-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Jim,
I would highly recomend you look at other plate boats. I know first hand that JBS of Joshua boats are not good plate boats.

jimbo59
06-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Jim,
I would highly recomend you look at other plate boats. I know first hand that JBS of Joshua boats are not good plate boats.
Why arn't they any good ?

Reefmaster
06-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Hi Jim,

The Joshua's are a reasonable all round boat but after spending 8 years offshore in one I would recommend you look at another brand as I believe there are a lot better products around. The flare works ok in small chop but I honestly believe it does not have an advantage over other boats and rides harder then most in rough seas. This is only my opinion and seeing how the boat was built some time ago I would assume things have changed during this time but I spoke with a bloke last weekend who has 6.5m one which is fairly new and his opinion was along the same lines as mine. Don't get me wrong they are good boat but just do your homework as it's your hard earned cash your handing over. Have a look at other builders like Riptide Alloy boats, Fisher, AMM, Sea Prowler, Rebel as these guys are all making good boats and have really changed there design and features to suit fisherman in all conditions.

Regards,
Greg

Reel Nauti
06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Formosa centre cabs and cuddy's represent a lot of boat for the money IMO.

Cheers

Dave

Trent Butler
06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey Jim,

Best option by far is buy any old brand plate hull and take it to Lamprecht Marine Refinishing Services. They are a new boat painting mob and are screaming out for work. Remember to ask for the polished bollard and hand rail option along with full fairing in epoxy instead of that "easy sand" 2k polyester stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong but there may even be a guy from LMRS who is a member of this site.;D

Cheers

Trent

Fatenhappy
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey bigjimg ...

Got back to Oz late 2004 and by mid 2005 had a Joshua 6.5m centre cab w/a custom built married up with a Honda 150 4 banger ..... ( the boys had just taken over from their fathers original brand - JBS after his retirement)

The boat itself was fine, but I do have to agree with having a good look at the opposition these days, as there are some good refinements out there.

Having said that I happened to bump into Malcom (from Joshua) at their display at the recent Brissy tackle and tinnie show.

After the intro, he was at great lengths to show off their newer version of the "flared hull" with a much finner entry, supposedly making it a lot more slippery and even easier still to get up on the plane.

Best advice I can think of, as already suggested have a good look around as they are up there in price, but pretty good quality (or at least that was my experience) .. don't think you could go far wrong by having alook at AMM and the like either.

As an aside, Joshua didn't have a cuddy when I had mine made and I'm back to a glass boat these days ... but its all just horses for courses !!

Cheers
Greg

Reefmaster
06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Hey Jim,

Best option by far is buy any old brand plate hull and take it to Lamprecht Marine Refinishing Services. They are a new boat painting mob and are screaming out for work. Remember to ask for the polished bollard and hand rail option along with full fairing in epoxy instead of that "easy sand" 2k polyester stuff.

Correct me if I am wrong but there may even be a guy from LMRS who is a member of this site.;D

Cheers

Trent

oh Trento you are gonna pay so bad for that;D

Myself or the oldman will never touch a sanding block again and certainly will never attempt to paint a boat again. I'm just glad it came out sweet.8-)

If anyone wants to know anything about boats then Trent is your man so just PM me and I will give his number to you.;D :P 8-)

Regards,
Lamprecht Marine Refinishing Services;)

dogsbody
06-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Have you checked out the Pursuit 595? Could be a bit more family friendly. ;)

Dave.

fishyjoe
07-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Bigjimg

For what its worth search the thread by11:42 AM Lobster48 re Joshua 6mt. It is very informative with pictures and also puts to bed some myths in relation to the ride on the Joshua's.

I have recently got a quote for my best friend re a 5.5 centre cab and I can tell you that both Malcolm and Pauline are great to talk to.

They are constantly improving on an already great design.

Do yourself a favour before deciding on any boat speak to them.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Joe

bigjimg
07-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Well Thanks Heaps For All The Input There.i Have Ridden In Amm 5.2 C/c
Lightening Cuddy 5.4 Riptide Cuddy 5.2 All Good Sea Handling Vessels.my Pick From These Three Would Be The Amm .even Though A C/c It Carved Up Anything That Was Put In Front Of It.obviously Budget Has An All To Important Role To Play Unfortunatley And I Will Get Alook At The Formosa Brand Soon And Compare.the Pursuit Has Been Given A Bit Of Attention In The Glass Department As Has A Few Others........we Will Se What Transpires Over The Next Few Months.geez I Still Have To Build The Boat Port The Front Stairs The New Study Have The House Painted And The List Goes On....................thanks Again For The Replies Jim

Anne-T-Dote
08-05-2008, 09:51 AM
oh Trento you are gonna pay so bad for that;D

Myself or the oldman will never touch a sanding block again and certainly will never attempt to paint a boat again. I'm just glad it came out sweet.8-)

If anyone wants to know anything about boats then Trent is your man so just PM me and I will give his number to you.;D :P 8-)

Regards,
Lamprecht Marine Refinishing Services;)

RALMFAO - Oh yeah - I heard "Screaming for more work" too....

Greg P
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Jim - Make sure you go and see Col or Max at Fisher and have a look at the 520 Duals - very nice rigs as well.

Regarding the JBS - anyone read the "Advertisement" story in FnB about the guy who drove down from PNG ? The words "constant pounding" along with a broken hardtop says a lot for the ride in offshore conditions. I think the flare has a lot of merit in the bay but offshore is a different ballgame - cant substitute deadrise.

bigjimg
08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
yep i will definately be putting fisher on the list of manufacturers and will also see dave at riptide to compare.Thanks Jim

cruisinginahiace
15-05-2008, 08:20 PM
You would be well advised to give Malcom Joshua a wide berth, once he has your money they no longer are interested in you and the problems begin.

You will have nothing but $$$ problems dealing with this outfit (plus all the BS.).

Before you put any money down get a written contract put together, Malcom loves his verbal contracts! and his word is well,..............................worthless.

Ask yourself why other boatbuilders have long waiting lists and he does not.

Do yourself a favour and give him a miss, look at another builder, Joshua is only interested in the quick $$$.

MyWay
16-05-2008, 01:54 AM
have look here offshore marine master http://www.offshoremarinemaster.com.au/
very very good for many

and all this are very good boats

Riptide , Fisher, AMM, Sea Prowler, Rebel

fishyjoe
16-05-2008, 06:34 AM
http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-6.jpg
http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-5.jpg http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-4.jpg
Under construction at the Joshua Boats factory, where every detail has been re-designed to create a well though out craft. Huge fishing room at the transom and an even more efficient and smoother riding hull than previous models.
Back to Joshua News (http://joshuaboats.com.au/news.html)
http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/space-grey-10.gif
have a Look at this before you make your mind up.

Joe

BY POPULAR DEMAND...
THE RETURN OF THE CLASSIC CUTTER
NEW 2008 MODEL BOAT DESIGNED FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.
6.0M WALKAROUND CABIN
RIDE: With a 25 degree dead rise or "V" on the hull, in the middle of the boat, and even sharper forward where it is needed. This allows the boat a soft ride through choppy water.
The new design flare flows into the reverse chine's, supporting the underside of the boat therefore giving you a predictable ride at the same time deflecting the water spray downwards keeping the boat dry.
STABILITY: The bottom of the new hull is 150mm wider and the transom dead rise is 12 degrees which makes this boat very stable at rest.
http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-1.jpg http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-2.jpg http://joshuaboats.com.au/images/newModel-3.jpg
SAFETY: Microlen marine buoyancy foam, "similar to life jacket foam" has been used under sealed welded floors and on the sides of the boat. We are anticipating level flotation. The self draining decks with scuppers are high above the water line.
OTHER FEATURES: The cockpit floor has been extended on both sides of the motor which allows more fishing space. The boat has a longer kill tank and the bait tank is in the center of the boat for better balance. Cabin bunks are now 1.9m long.
Why not come for a ride...

Alchemy
16-05-2008, 08:01 AM
STABILITY: The bottom of the new hull is 150mm wider and the transom dead rise is 12 degrees which makes this boat very stable at rest.

hmmm, stable at rest and bone rattling underway.

Luke44
16-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Contact Jason at Offshore Marine Master 0438778330 He builds fantastic plate alloy boats I looked at them all Joshua, fisher ,Formosa they are all quality boats however the offshore marine master boats were a stand out I bought a 5.2 center cab and after riding in mine my old boy bought a 5.5 centre cab I do all my fishing offshore and these boats handle it well. Give him a call or google his web site Offshore Marine Master Well built and priced to suit a budget

Matt_F
16-05-2008, 11:43 AM
"We are anticipating level flotation."

So I take it this has not been tested under controlled conditions.

"The self draining decks with scuppers are high above the water line."

The last time I was in a JBS this wasn't the case at all. If only they built them like they sell them!!

PinHead
16-05-2008, 12:42 PM
You would be well advised to give Malcom Joshua a wide berth, once he has your money they no longer are interested in you and the problems begin.

You will have nothing but $$$ problems dealing with this outfit (plus all the BS.).

Before you put any money down get a written contract put together, Malcom loves his verbal contracts! and his word is well,..............................worthless.

Ask yourself why other boatbuilders have long waiting lists and he does not.

Do yourself a favour and give him a miss, look at another builder, Joshua is only interested in the quick $$$.

have you owned one ???

PinHead
16-05-2008, 12:42 PM
"We are anticipating level flotation."

So I take it this has not been tested under controlled conditions.

"The self draining decks with scuppers are high above the water line."

The last time I was in a JBS this wasn't the case at all. If only they built them like they sell them!!
wondering how many Aus built boats do have positive level flotation???

peterbo3
16-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Gidday all
Want to know if anyone has a Joshua walkaround or cuddy cab they can tell me about.And their value for money as compared to a fibreglass boat
of the same size.I would prefer if you had the boat built and considered fibreglass as an option.I have ridden in a few platey's but not the flared hull offered by Joshua.Thanks in advce.8-) Jim

I am not familiar with the Joshua boats so cannot comment. HOWEVER..................
I have a Fisher 6400 with a full cab & it (the full cab) is great. I cannot see the benefit of a centre cab unless you do a lot of spinfishing & need a little extra deck space. Anchor recovery through the forward hatch is dead easy although I use a ball for deeper water.
The full cab with hardtop gives you room. Room to mount your electronics, room to stow stuff, room to sleep, room for big boxes to mount your seats on.;D ;D ;D
Plus, if you do a lot of bar work, there is a solid deck for the water to hit if you take a greenie over the front as opposed to a large walkway which will direct that water to the stern. :o :o :o

The Fisher rides well as will most 23 deg deadrise boats but you must drive to the sea conditions.

cruisinginahiace
16-05-2008, 03:34 PM
have you owned one ???

yes, and I would not recommend dealing with Malcom or Pauline Joshua!

cruisinginahiace
16-05-2008, 03:43 PM
If only they built them like they sell them!!

Exactly and what recourse/remedey do you have after you have put money down =NONE.

Beware

A Boat builder is only as good as his last boat, and after my dealings with Joshua Boats they have a lot of work to do.

I do not own a Fisher, and my next custom will be a Fisher, due to their quality and honesty in customer service, plus Col's excellent reputation.

I am yet to meet an unsatisfied customer of Fisher, can't say the same is true of Joshua Boats.