PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives To Drilling Holes in Gunwale for Rod Holders

Splash
05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Team,

I want to troll for pelagics with two Tyrnos TCurve rods.

Are there any alternatives to drilling holes in fiberglass Gunwales for strong rod holders for medium-heavy trolling outfits?

SPlash

Roughasguts
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I guess you could convert a rod holder and screw it on the back of the seats.
Or whack them on a fairly decent rocket launcher on the out rigger slots.

For me I would probably use hand lines, i'm so use to stepping over the lines then someone else steps on it an turns it in to a birds nest for me.

Splash
05-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Thansk Guts - I agree - Handlines are much easier to manage in this respect..

I'm in luv with your avatar mate...!

SPlash

Grunter71
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
You can get rod holders that will claim onto the deck rail, assuming you have one. Not sure what size outfits they are rated for though.

FNQCairns
05-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Hi splash, I am not sure there is an alternative, the blokes down south use frames with multiple holders but they are chasing squire, bluenose and elephant - you might see a 25kg trev!! or any number of other brutes.

cheers fnq

Splash
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
...thanks guys.

Holes in gunwale it may have to suffice... :-((

Maybe I can weld SS rod holders onto the SS bar I have across the stern (bolted into hull).

What is an ideal angle that rod holders should be at when encasing rods during trolling?

Splash

Roughasguts
05-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Don't worry about holes in your deck splash I have four on mine in white plastic cause haines are cheap otherwise it be S/S.

Got the rocket launchers as well but they come with me boat be buggered if I would pay the grand at least to build those up.

Thanks splash yep thats some ugly fish in me Avatar.

I hope the bikini girl has a better head on her than the fish, I sure am wishing she has I don't need any more dreams and ambitions shattered.:'(

Splash
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Who'es the groper, you, your lady or the fish? :-)

SPlash

Spaniard_King
05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Splash,

why not use scotty surface mounts, saves the big holes :)

Splash
06-05-2008, 06:11 AM
Thansk SK.

I shall investigate them. Do u know anyone who uses these particualr surface mounts?

Splash