PDA

View Full Version : Mandalay Boat Ramp, Brisbane

Ocean_Spirit
05-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Just after any comments on the Mandalay Boat Ramp in Brisbane regarding ease of access etc. Looking to launch a 6.0Mtr fibreglass boat there, and have never used this ramp. Any underwater obstructions to be aware of, tidal flows and the length of the ramp?

Thanks in advance. :)

Mark-P
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Mate its been aboat 12yrs but we use to ski there .... There was also a nasty drop off at low tide !! Unless its changed, i would only use it at high tide ...

Mark

Ocean_Spirit
06-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks Mark,

I guess it is a fairly confident assumption you could make, given the 'clapped-out' state of most of the boat-ramps available along the Brisbane River.

The Murrarie ramp is about the only good ramp available along the river. Every other ramp is completely run-down and dangerous. For all the 'plans' to build new ramps with floating docks and car parks to make the river more accessible, particularly in the inner Brisbane area, we are still yet to see some of the results unfortunately.

ozscott
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
Mate - I have launched my Vagabond there many times at different tides. I go pretty deep on launch - water above wheels, but on retrieval I tow her up with the water below the rollers (big ass 4wd winch mounted on the post).

Its got a coarse sand landing area next to and north of the ramp and mangroves on the other side. Its a pretty good spot, but with a big trailer watch out for the one vehicle only size path that leads to it from the road!

Hope that helps.

Cheers