PDA

View Full Version : how do i become a 10 %er.

bar raider
05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
you all heard the saying "90% of fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen"

I'm lazy and usually just drown a bait and suppose i should try to target fish and try different things to see if this improves the catch rate.

so even though i may have just answered my own question, whats your tip on becoming a 10 %er ??

coucho
05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
if you need to ask you will never get there. Its all about the time and effort you put in.

FNQCairns
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Be happy when you reach it 5% of the time, the 10%ers are:):)

cheers fnq

bigjimg
05-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Time + effort + planning + knowledge= fish ..........sometimes you gotta let the fish know too.Jim

tunaticer
05-05-2008, 03:33 PM
As above is the clue plus add to the equation that you have to be completely alert while fishing. You can put in the effort and get out there at the right time, right bait, right tide and season and still find you are missing 90% of the possibilities and bites. That is the 10% holy grail more than anything else.

If it means fishing with one rod only do it. If you can fish with a sleeper and one other rod take that opportunity. Trying to master 3 or more lines is giving less than 30% effort of any of them.

I used to be a dedicated livebaiter with as many as 6 rods set out at once and get moderate results. I now fish with one and possibly a sleeper that i ignore hoping for a self hooked fish and my results are probably 150% better than before.

Jack.

ffejsmada
05-05-2008, 03:48 PM
As above is the clue plus add to the equation that you have to be completely alert while fishing.
Jack.

Awareness.
My eyes are the busiest things on my boat. I'm constantly searching for bait flicking, birds dipping, fish breaking the surface, anything that tells me their is a fish about.
You have to be alert and aware.

Jeff.

Poodroo
05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Not being afraid to spend money on the gear always helps. Technology has well and truly hit the fishing hobby and there are some brilliant reels, rods, and tackle available. Combining knowledge with the technology plus putting in the time and the fish don't stand a chance. ;)

Poodroo

PinHead
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
to add another question: How many beleive they are in that "10%"

tunaticer
05-05-2008, 06:46 PM
I am not in the 10% but I do know that my capture rate has increased an awful lot since i dedicate my concentration to the game rather than waiting for a bite.

I do not put in the hours to get into the 10% at all and if i did have those hours needed on the water I think it would not hold as great a fascination with me then. I would get too complacent and probably begin to dislike it again.

Fishing to me is like a good cheesecake.....a great treat but not to have everytime i get the urge for it.

Jack.

jimbo59
05-05-2008, 06:56 PM
You must be willing to adapt,changing sinker sizes, baits, soft plastics moving spots putting the rod down and useing a hand line ect,burley,no sinker,sea anchor,backing the boat up into the current, talking to other fisho's .Its best to go out with a serious fisher as iron sharpens iron. I find its a confidence thing too.

Local_Guy
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
i'd like to think i am in the 10%er.... but this comes down to a few things.
Picking the right time to go, right tides, right wind, right location, knowing the area, knowing what works...

by knowing what works i mean... a certain lure - this could be your favourite or one that you have found works for you. also gives u confidence.

I generally always only have 1 rod going at 1 time. however there are occasions where i will put a sleaper out and kinda forget about it and let the fish hook itself.

In saying all this... I have spent over 4 years in the local area and i know what works. I will come home with a keeper just about every trip out. Othertimes they are just too small or i'm there for sport.

coucho
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I dunno about the 10% pinhead but i go pretty well at the types of fishing that i regularly indulge in when I am targeting species I regularly fish for. As they say though variety is the spice of life and I like to regularly try for different types of fish using different methods sometimes I strike some times I stike out but I enjoy it all the same.

blaze
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
I dont care where I fall between 0% and 100% on any given trip as long as I have a good time, wether solo or with a mate.
I can recall going out with a couple of mates and tying a swivel on the end my line and hanging it over the side about a meter below the surface, kicking back in my chair with my mates laughing and catching fish wondering if I had gone mad. No not mad, very relaxed, had a good time, swapped a few yarns, bugger the 10 per centers
cheers
blaze

PinHead
05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I dont care where I fall between 0% and 100% on any given trip as long as I have a good time, wether solo or with a mate.
I can recall going out with a couple of mates and tying a swivel on the end my line and hanging it over the side about a meter below the surface, kicking back in my chair with my mates laughing and catching fish wondering if I had gone mad. No not mad, very relaxed, had a good time, swapped a few yarns, bugger the 10 per centers
cheers
blaze

ditto..I know I would not be in the 10% nor do I really care nor want to be. Boating and fishing to me is getting away for a while..putting the feet up and relaxing. If some piscatorial creature decides to commit suicide on the end of my line then lucky me.

PinHead
05-05-2008, 07:46 PM
back to the original question...just time, experience and working out what conditions etc bring results.

haggis
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
I would be happy to make it as a ninety %
but I am happy just to be able to go fishing
cheers haggis

mirage
05-05-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm not there yet but by far the best way is to go fishing with as many 10%er's as you can on their boats. Watch, listen, learn and practise. It's surprising how much you pick up.

SummerTrance
05-05-2008, 08:15 PM
if you need to ask you will never get there. Its all about the time and effort you put in.

I dont totally agree with that. Yes you need to put in time and effort. But asking other more experience fisho's for advice goes a long was too!

Without asking questions, how do you start in the first place? My advice is research, then ask others for advice.

NAGG
05-05-2008, 08:22 PM
BTS! ( Be target Specific)

you pick a target species , you learn about it ...... & you fish to catch that fish

25 years ago ..... I went rock fishing at Avalon beach .. & I watched a guy in his 30s catch snapper ...... one after another! .... :P Afterwards , I spoke to him & it was his words of advice BTS!
After that ...... I took his advice ......... & not too long , my results improved 10 fold!
When I started boat fishing ....I was at the disposal of the boat skipper & results were poor
When I bought my first boat ......... I used BTS & caught fish!

These days ...... every time I go fishing it is BTS ( & I'm generally successful)

There is no way that I just throw a lure out ( or bait) & hope to catch a fish
I go bream fishing , flathead fishing , barra , trout & bass fishing ! ..... yes there is by catch ( but that is just what it is ! ..... by catch)

So that is the best bit of advise I can give ! ...... or anyone can give IMHO

Nagg

tunaticer
05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
I suppose the biggest secret of all with fishing is controlling your slack line and still presenting your bait in an appealing fashion. If you can master that you will have your fish in the boat. Letting the currents swing your lure / bait around in such a way that it either does not look appealing or natural will suffer your capture rates.

I treat currents as lanes on a highway, some are faster and radical and not really going to give the fish a chance to feed in it well. Other lanes are slower with areas where the fish can lay in wait for food to come to them. With the exception of pelagics, nearly all fish are lazy and will rather feed on what comes to them in the feeding lanes rather than chasing something around. I am yet to see a current pattern in water less than 20m where there is not a defined feeding area in a slower bit of water. It may not be every 20m or 200m but it will be there and so will the fish.

Control your bait and your line in these areas and you will succeed.

Jack.

Keechie
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
i wish i was in that 10%, i am waiting to find that spot x for my bream fishing to break my bream drought. it is quite regular that in a fishing day for about a few hours i walk a minimum 3km just to find a hardly legal whitng or flathead to not even see a bream:(.

regards,
keechie

Steve B
05-05-2008, 08:59 PM
PPPPP - prior preparation prevents piss poor performance
- local knowledge helps.

- TARGET A SPECIES, know how to target it and dedicate your session to that species. Its a bit like the lion chasing the heard of gazellles!!!!. If they chase the whole heard they catch nothing, they chase 1 animal until they get it.

- learn that from others (great info on here) and yourself, listen to EVERYONE old and young. Everyone has some info big or small which could be vital. Dont be affraid to SHARE your knowledge...what goes around comes around. Often if your honest with others they will be the same with you.

- gear- best you can afford, make sure its at peak performance, knots, leaders, sharp hooks etc. If you do the hard yards and get the fish.....you shouldn't expect to lose them.

- change- be prepared to change, adapt and try new techniques..but have a purpose and reason for you change. give it a good run, not just 2 casts and give up.

NEVER GIVE UP. TRY TRY TRY, put the time in, at the right time, weather, tides etc and you will fish your way into confidence. Confidence in your chosen technique. COnfidence catches fish. Beleive in yourself that you can be in the 10%

Keep a diary!!!! good days and bad. write down all the info you can remember, tides,weather time date, moons, retrieves, EVERTYHING......you will soon find patterns.

Have fun and enjoy your fishing....Dont listen to whingers and knockers. They are the 90% who use everything else as an excuse for not catching fish.

Hope this helps. Its not easy, but its fun learning and trying.

Steve

Noelm
06-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Nagg is absolutely correct, find a species that is reasonably common in your area, concentrate on that alone for a while, learn how when and why, when you are confident that you know that given a bit of time, you can catch a feed or release (if thats your thing) that species, move onto another one, sure you do not need to be tunnel visioned, but if you just wander down to the Lake, River, Boat at "office hours" with a packet of black frozen Prawns, a kilo of Lead on 15KG line and expect to land the Family meal, then you will be sadly dissapointed most times, sure sometimes you might hit one on the head with your sinker and fluke a good fish, but mostly it takes time, patience, observation, presentation, and to a much smaller extent (I reckon anyway) gear! why I say that is because a good fisherman with a hand line will still get a good haul, compared to the guy with a thousand dollar GPS, a thousand Dollar Sounder, a million dollar gameboat, but absolutely no idea what they are doing, you cannot buy knowledge (except for a paid guide) all the good stuff makes life easy and nice, but unless you have a clue as to whats going on around you, it will not catch you Fish.

coucho
06-05-2008, 09:01 AM
I dont totally agree with that. Yes you need to put in time and effort. But asking other more experience fisho's for advice goes a long was too!

Without asking questions, how do you start in the first place? My advice is research, then ask others for advice.

My point is summer that the people in the 10% are not likely to tell you exactly when where and how to catch fish they may give a tip or two but thier not going to give up there spot x YOU need to put in the TIME and find YOUR spot x and find out what works best there. Badgered if I would give up my favourite spots to the first guy who asked after I spent years finding them.

Hot_Snappa
06-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Don't forget that luck does also play a part, whether it be large or small!

NAGG
06-05-2008, 10:24 AM
My point is summer that the people in the 10% are not likely to tell you exactly when where and how to catch fish they may give a tip or two but thier not going to give up there spot x YOU need to put in the TIME and find YOUR spot x and find out what works best there. Badgered if I would give up my favourite spots to the first guy who asked after I spent years finding them.

Back to BTS ( Be Target Specific) ...... most of the 10% ers will go to a new location & will soon catch their target fish! ........ It has very little to do with having a spot X .... or honeypot!
A prime example are the guys that fish the ABT tournaments (bream , bass or barra) ..... they soon switch on to what is required ....... & catch fish! (most of the time) Many may have never fished that location , yet they know what to look for & what to try! Like Steve B said " Adapt" ........ & have options

Cheers

Nagg

Noelm
06-05-2008, 11:38 AM
exactly right, a good (say) Bream fisherman will be able to catch a Bucket of Bream almost anywhere you care to name, and becuase of this intimate knowledge on all things "fishy" he/she can adapt to other species as well very very quickly, without doing any Trumpet blowing, I would feel comfortable going Fishing almost anywhere, for a whole range of species, and be confident that mostly I would catch a good "haul" sure luck has a lot to do with it, but when the "chips are down" and you do not just pull up on a school of feeding Fish, the well prepared, diligent and observant guy will make a whole lot more luck than the "chuck and see" tourist types.

coucho
06-05-2008, 01:33 PM
ok Nagg you got a point there about bream and bass I had more an ocean type environment in mind chasing Snapper/Jew and I don't often fish for one with out having a line out for the other. Yes you can know what to look for on the sounder but knowing where to find it is another story takes anyone a while to suss a new place out on the ocean and find some productive marks.

gunna
06-05-2008, 02:13 PM
So how on earth do you know if you are a 10 per center ??

Here is a hypothetical - I spend the morning on the water chasing lizards. Use plastics. Fish the gutters. Fish the banks. Fish the eddies etc. Put in plenty of effort moving around to find fish. I get three lizards for the morning.

So how on do I know what anyone else caught for the day? Or even what they were chasing. I see someone at the ramp who caught nothing. They may have been chasing something else altogether. How do I know if I out performed or under performed. Who cares.

I don't give a rats about 10%. If I have looked at the tides etc. Fished the optimum times. Presented the bait/lure as best I can then thats all I can do. If the fish play the game goodo. Sometimes they don't. At the end of the day I am happy that I tried.

NAGG
06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
ok Nagg you got a point there about bream and bass I had more an ocean type environment in mind chasing Snapper/Jew and I don't often fish for one with out having a line out for the other. Yes you can know what to look for on the sounder but knowing where to find it is another story takes anyone a while to suss a new place out on the ocean and find some productive marks.

Coucho ..... without a doubt the same applies for offshore fishing! When I owned my CC ..... I targeted Jewfish & Kingfish mainly ...... & some snapper too !

To be successful ..... I read a lot & bought the most detailed charts of the areas I could get ...... including ones like these sea bed information charts. 26429( which I studied...... & fished the prevailing conditions! .... Sometimes I could spend 30 mins or so getting the lay of the anchor right:( ) ......

Then it was a case of fishing tides , currents , wind + having the right bait & a choice of bait eg If the cuttle fish were around ..... That's what you used for snapper!
This stuff is not learnt overnight ..... & I'm sure it would never be given to you on a platter!
Of course .... there was always some trial & error:D

Cheers

Nagg

HST
06-05-2008, 09:19 PM
it is quite easy .

just think like a fish

know the three things all fish do

then put it all together and you will achieve your goals .

nufin_flash
06-05-2008, 11:23 PM
i'll give you all the key to becomming a top 10% , spend a day fishing with myself , be it using livies, dead/frozen bait or even plastics , study every closey , watch every move that i make , ask questions if you like ,

and after that wonderful day fishing with myself

do the complete opposite of what i do

:)

For Steve
07-05-2008, 12:22 PM
i'll give you all the key to becomming a top 10% , spend a day fishing with myself , be it using livies, dead/frozen bait or even plastics , study every closey , watch every move that i make , ask questions if you like ,

and after that wonderful day fishing with myself

do the complete opposite of what i do

:)

Now that is funny. :D

Great stuff.

mangomick
07-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Tell a few more lies and hold your arms wider apart when describibing how big your fish were and when you get your photo taken hold the fish right out so its closer to the camera;)

richieboy
08-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Experiment.............read............learn.

rich

chief 1
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
lots of pratice and learning and most important catch fish

Ninja
10-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Stuff the 10%..I'm in the top 1%!. This one time...I just pulled up to my favorite bream spot.....dropped down my half pillie and then wham...I mean...then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I was onto a kilo bream. Another time I caught 3 whiting in under ten minutes and 2 were even legal. I'd tell you all how it's done but it took my years to reach my fishing status:o .

bluefin59
11-05-2008, 05:23 AM
I recon its about everything you guys have talked about and getting it to happen at one time. But one of the new ausfih shirts certainly won't hurt your chances ,both me and the wife have got new P.Bs while wearing our new shirts we think they are the new cutting edge technology for catching great fish on placcies ...matt::) ::) ::)