PDA

View Full Version : CQ Short Trip

Custaro
04-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I had organised with the father-in-law John, to keep the long weekend open for a dash to Rocky if the weather was looking good. Good it was.

Hit Keppel Bay about 10:30am yesterday. Headed north in search for the tasty Grunter. Stopped off at Findlays for some speed metal action. Picked up a nice doggie but that was it for 30 mins of casting.

Off we went to some reefie spots. Picked up a swag of livies on the way. About 2 mile out from nine mile beach is still packed with bait. Nothing big seems to be flogging it yet, but I think the pelagics should get a wiff of it soon. In fact, all our spots were loaded with yakkas and slimies. The livies were a definite savior to the trip. We looked hard and moved around a bit but never caught a keeper on cut baits.

Our first mark I scored a nice fingermark on a check drift. After anchoring three small cod hit deck in first 5 mins. I put a ban on the live baits to see if we could hook something else. John landed a fourth cod and the bait he had set and I said he could keep it...only because he doesn't get out much. We moved spots to try and kill something other than cod. We found plenty of bait but no fish.

We tried a drift and almost immediately I hooked another large fingermark. We drifted again and was hooking up to a fish each drift. John hooked a couple of big fish but the rig exploded twice on him. Same rig as I used so not sure what went wrong.

Not a bad session. Off to the Fitzroy for a crab sanga tomorrow!

Clay

Local_Guy
04-05-2008, 09:45 PM
sounds like you had a good wekend.

we were out at man and wife. lots of bait schools everywhere, but not alot to show for it.

1 doggie was the main highlight out at the island and i picked up a nice cod back at 40acre on the troll.

like your observations... where were all the palagics....

jtpython
05-05-2008, 09:07 AM
NICEEEEEEEEEEE fingers you have some nice ground where your going
Yes not too many spano's even towards Douglas lots of bait everywhere thou like you'se were saying
They were getting some huge crabs near Port Alma /'Raglan Creek last week
JT

blindwalrus
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Gotta love those fingermark.

Was there any sign of the yakkas near findlays? How far up nine mile do you generally have to travel before hitting the bait schools?

I have been trying to track some yakkas down of late but you don't tend to find to many out towards the Keppels.

Cheers
Grant

dogsbody
06-05-2008, 04:41 PM
You need big Fingers to handle big Cods mate. Very nice,, enjoy the crab.

Dave.

Custaro
07-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Grant, there was a bit of bait showing at Findlays but we only managed medium herrings there on the jig. The bait off nine mile started just off the dirty water coming out of Corio and all the way up to five rocks. There were birds working it, but only solo. There were these pilchard looking things in amongst it too.

The crab was good Dave!! I told Katie to leave some for ya but I think her hearing is going.