PDA

View Full Version : Pod conversion

Homer_Jay
04-05-2008, 07:14 PM
For anyone that is interested, I have just completed a sterndrive to outboard conversion on my Haines V19C.

So far I am very happy with the outcome.

The boat sits nice in the water and hasnt lost any stability (not enough to notice).

The boat planes at alot lower speed and sits more level in the water when underway. Top speed has increased from 30 to 40 kts.

Fuel ecconomy is yet to be established.

The boat feels so much more agile in the water. You can throw it around alot quicker.

There is alot more fishing room in the boat.

The down side:
The boat has lost that "big boat" feel. the feel that it used to just cruise along and push through anything. It now flys off the waves alot easier which creates a few more hard landings.
This is no doubt partly to do with the fact that the boat likes to travel alot quicker than before. And the only other downside is that I always liked the clean look of the transom with the sterndrive.

All in all very happy with the outcome.

Pod courtesy of Ausfish member Jimbo59
Thanks Jim

mik01
05-05-2008, 12:08 AM
mate - she looks neat though!!!

uripper
05-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Jim

That looks great. Can really appreciate the anguish you probably went through.

Have been going through a similar exercise with a 1989 Haines 560SL I recently purchased. Previous owners had replaced transom & fitted pod but she bogged badly under 20knots - handled like a pig. :'(

Prior to agreeing on price I managed to find some help (Jeffers Motorsport) and a polystyrene foam wedge was temporarily attached. That little extra bouyancy & lift was amazing ;D ;D ;D . Foam wedge has now been replaced by aluminium - all good, though not perfect - yet.

Still in process of resurrecting the ole girl - complete rewire, new electronics, maybe trim tabs etc etc (will be the subject of another post when project complete acknowleging all those whose invaluable assistance have helped re-birth this boat.)

MalM

FNQCairns
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Trim tabs might bring back some of the former boof! if you slow down:)

Looks great, engine is nice and high as it should be, what was the HP before and after? The only time these do not work on larger heavier boats is when those setting it up cannot comprehend well how to properly finish the job, just plonking it all together is half the battle. Sounds good!

cheers fnq

Kevaclone
05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
What is a Pod conversion cost these days
might have to do the transom in a year or so and was thinking that this would be a good time to do a pod conversion
give the Old V-Sea a bit more internal space and get rid of that(what seems to me) too low outboard well and allow for a duck board

Kev

Homer_Jay
05-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Uripper,

No problems with bogging down. Not anymore than what it did with the sterndrive anyway.

FNQ,

yeah I do plan to put trim tabs on down the track.... and yes just need to slow down a bit now!
I did all the work myself with information I gathered from different people. Maybe I was just lucky it worked out. Was a few sleepless nights before it went on the water anyway.

Kevaclone,
The pod is a bolt on that I bought from Jimbo59 on here. cost about $600.00
A few hundred on fibreglass and ply and flowcoat ect. Not sure on the final cost as I just bought stuff when i needed it and never really kept track.

Cheers

turtleshead
05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
With a pod convertion , how is the Transom strengthend.

is a stern drive transom alot thinner ?

turtleshead
06-05-2008, 05:57 PM
bump...............

BM
06-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Turtle,

When fitting a pod you normally add "knees" to the transom. Knees are triangular (or similar) braces that are glassed to the transom wall and the longitudinal bearers in the hull.

A sterndrive transom is usually the same thickness as an outboard transom but does not extend all the way from one side to the other.

Cheers

Looks good Homer! And that pod looks familiar. I think the original mould belongs to my mate here in Melb. He's been making that exact pod for at least 10yrs.

scoota
06-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I had a fair bit to do with a pod conversion on a mates Bahi Mah 20 foot Pride which had a 50mm thick transom which was plugged up and a kill tank glassed in where the sump of the old inboard used to sit. This cost about $350. The pod and motor was all Graham Jeffers work, previously mentioned by unripper, and he had a full width pod made which a 175 Yammie was strapped to and trim tabs to boot.
What a machine compared to the inboard.
Top speed of 45 knots and cruises at 4200 revs at 28 knots for a 2.5 tonne boat.
The pod is well secured to the transom and would be alot stronger than a standard outboard well.
Pod cost 5 years ago about $1500 built by the old owner of Pacific Sportsfish.

Scoota....

turtleshead
06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks BM,
Good to know

BM
06-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Looks good Scoota.

A Berty 20/Pride Bahia Mar doesn't weigh 2500kg though. The hull only is approx 1000kg.

Cheers

scoota
06-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry BM, 2.5 tonne fully loaded on the scales with trailer of course

Scoota...

BM
06-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Ahhh!, yep, that I agree with. :)

Homer_Jay
07-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Turtle,

Sorry mate, been away a couple of days.

Basicly what BM said is spot on the money.

My original transom was just a flat wall inside when the mercruiser came out.

After ALOT or grinding I glassed a 19mm sheet of ply on the inside for extra strength. Then laminated ply together and glassed it into the hole to fill it.
You will notice the two upright supports in the centre and the 3 shelfs, these were all glassed in for extra strength. I wanted to make sure it was over strong rather than under.

I can imagine that there is HUGE stresses on that transom now.

Cheers
Aaron

Homer_Jay
07-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Thanks Nick.... Im really happy with the way it turned out.

You must have a good eye to pick that pod hey......

Im not sure where it came from originally. But it seem to do the job

:-)

BM
07-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Mate,

I have fitted a few of them!! so I recognise it readily.

Cheers