PDA

View Full Version : Rod Mount Options

Splash
04-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Team,

Currently working out ways to store rods on boat when not in use.

Rods must be standing up and against the rear wall (shown).

Picis show a sample rod as to how it must stand (vertical without movement).

I want to store around 6-8 rods in the stand up position and against these 50mm wide aly strips.

My question is this:

What can I mount on these aly strips to stabilisze/lock these rods in whilst underway so they remain upright and do not move about...?

The connection/mounting points must be durable and wide enough to wrap/hold thick rod handles (current market rubber catches are not wide enough).

I am 3000km away from Bunnings so forget any Bunnings' thoughts...

I can however order stuff online if need be.

But, I would first like to explore what I can use out here in the 'sticks' (Arhnem land NT)..

Splash

Outsider1
04-05-2008, 04:24 PM
perhaps some of the JW rocket launcher type holders? or some of the Berkeley or similar rod racks?

Try xxMo Tackle or similar.

Dave

Kleyny
04-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Have go got any hard hose floating around?.
Cut it at say 70mm pieces then cut it from top to bottom once.
Srew them to your alloy.
to put your rods in just open the slot and slide them in.

Just a thought. It all depends on how stiff nut plyable the hose is.

neil

ronnien
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
hi splash, will all rods b getting used when u r fishing? if not will the 1's not being used b in the way (hassle)?

ron.

turtleshead
04-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Mate , make up somthing like wat they have at the pub to hold the Pool cues up , the get a couple of eye bolts to hook an Oky strap up to hold them back against your alloy plate

Splash
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
All good responses - thanks.

Outsider - Unable to enlarge the pics you have attached - possible to re-post with option to click on picis?

Honky Dory - is hard hose PVC tubing? If not, what is hard hose?
Have you tried this idea?

Ronnien - Most likely, not all rods will be used at once - but rather different rods for different applications - trolling, light gear, float bait, bottom, etc..
What is the answer (eliminating clutter and in the way) for storing rods on boat that MAY not be used?

Turtleshead - As I don't drink, I have not visited pub and played pool lately - can you elaborate on what you mean (I sort of have an idea) but are they sprng loaded or something?
I liek the idea of strap - but does that mean I have to drill and make allowancce (clearance) for behind the aly strip to allow for eye-bolt fastening?

All - Do I need to brace bottom of rod (near butt) to acheive my aims as well?

Splash

Outsider1
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Here are the picture reposts Splash, plus another couple of pictures.

A member has a Stainless multi Rod holder similar to what I am talking about for sale here;

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=128583

Cheers

Dave

Kleyny
04-05-2008, 08:42 PM
PVC is too hard you cant get the rod through the slot I'll take a picture of and experiment ini my boat so you can see what i mean.

neil

Splash
04-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Guys.

Outsider - all seem great but propbaly all too small for my thick rod handles... :-(

Honky - What do u mean "hard hose"?

Splash

Outsider1
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I would be very surprised if they did not fit in those tube racks Splash.

These are probably the best ones I have seen for what you want;

http://www.bla.com.au/index.php?fn=productGroupView&dId=64&id=339&eId=640&actual_dId=79&sId=a2a3cd716799811e6dc79179ab60251e

Cheers

Dave

Splash
04-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks Dave - will confirm internal diamters tomorrwo morning.

Splahs

scoota
05-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Just a thought Splash!

I used 20mm wide velcro strip in a tinnie to hold rods upright against a centre console which work a treat.
Simply fix one of the two strips at the desired height and then cut short pieces of the second strip and fix with ss screws leaving a tag ends that wrap around the rod.
Works a treat and doesn't take up any room or leave you with nasty edges to catch you on when bouncing around offshore.
Could even put a second row of velcro lower to hold more securely but we didn't need it!

Sorry, no pics

Scoota...

Noelm
05-05-2008, 08:27 AM
rods stored at the Stern will cause more trouble than it is worth, far better off to try to get some sort of holders near the Passangers side seating, that way they will not be a pest when you have a Fish on and rods are stuck upright at the rear, or maybe even a rocket launcher type of setup, anything will be better than what you describe (I reckon anyway)

dogsbody
05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
My thoughts Splash is they may well get in the way when fishing. Can't put them up in the cabin?

Dave.

Splash
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks Sccota, Nolem and Dogsbody,

I have given this some more thought overnight and have refined my ideas...with your help..

For the onboard rods that won't be used in the first instance, I will store safely underneath the gunnels (like this shown in link http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w111/wildbill99/boat16.jpg)
which will not be exposed to any body leaning contact or solid impacts that could break the rods...

I will only have enough rod vertical holders to hold the rods that are used in the first instance.

This way no rods will be in way when fishing...

Scoota - How easy is it to place the rods when wanting to bait up or re-rig with your Velcro strips - as opposed to simply plonking the rod in the holder and then bait up or re-rig?

Splash

Dignity
05-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks Guys.

Outsider - all seem great but propbaly all too small for my thick rod handles... :-(

Honky - What do u mean "hard hose"?

Splash

Splash, I think Outsider is refering to the black garnite water hose, it comes in many diameteres, try a water supply or plumbers shop or even a construction site if you can get to one. Ordinary PVC would do the job that you are after if you can lay some hands on it. I like scootas idea with the velcro. Also what turlehead is refering to is basically the clip that is used for door stops - the ones that look like rowlocks but smaller and made out of nylon. To get the size you need though you would have to try a boat chandler as the door stop ones are only about an inch in diameter. Agree with other posters about storing them in the back - is this for transport only, if so I would secure them with an occy strap as well knowing the tracks you will be travelling over.

Splash
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Thanks Dignity -

The idea of this storage at rear is just to have them sitting upright when underway.

When fishing, the rods will not be stored in this position but sitting in other rod holders when fishing.

No rods will be stored at stern when fishing.

Splash

scoota
05-05-2008, 09:53 AM
The Velcro strips were originally just for storage underway and rod holders in the gunnels while fishing but I found myself using the velcro strips for rigging and baiting more and more...

Scoota...

Splash
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks Sccota.

Velcro Looks the goods!

Do you have anything on the floor to hold the butt in place as well - do u need it?

Splash

Kleyny
05-05-2008, 12:53 PM
this is the hose im using on my experimant at the moment.
The rod is stored horizonally and the rods have never come out.

the black hose is ribbed with material running inside it and realy qutie hard but still plyable if cut.

I got this stuff from a hose place (house of hoses or alike)

Splash
05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
THanks Honky.

Very Novel!

What is the last picture?

Splash

scoota
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Try one strip first then you can always put another strip on a bit lower if necessary.
We only needed one strip with the carpeted floor!

Scoota....

Kleyny
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
if you can the black hose is the stuff you want nice and hard but still plyable.

i use it to put my butts in and the yellow hose is where the middle-tip of the rod goes.

neil

Splash
05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks Sccota and Honky Dory - I luv both options and the tiem has come to experiment. I like the ideas because they are non-obtrusive, durable and convenient.

Many thanks...

Splash