PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Island pre fishing comp conditions report

Hi all

Have just returned from a week at Orchid Beach and thought I would give you a pre Fishing Comp conditions report. I know conditions can change rapidly, but thought this a good opportunity especially for those towing big boats.

Hook Point to Indian - Vegetation collapsed into water about 2km from barge - only passable about 1.5 hours from bottom of tide. Beach to Indian from here excellent, wide and flat.

Indian crossing - Small rise on southern side with softish sand was catching a few out. Not much beach to get a run up. "down" track probably flatter and better formed than "up" track. Hire troopies and buses carve it up by days end. Coming home yesterday 2 hire troopies stuck on both tracks - had to weave in between them, but sand had a bottom. EPA/comp organisers may groom this with chip bark etc before comp.

Indian to Middle - Tight pinch with 3 hours either side of tide. Middle blow a little carved up and soft near the slats. Watch for tourists on Indian and Middle as they wander aimlessly 6 abreast on the tracks and do not hear vehicles approaching at speed.

Middle to Orchid - Good, a little lumpy in places and a little soft about 400m from Middle blow - keep momentum up. On the down track a little soft about 1km from Champagne Pools - Keep it moving and you should be ok as it has a bottom, although my 100 series dragged its belly here.

2 big boats got through both blows and track on Thursday with tandem tows.

Orchid - Warning - Southern Orchid township-to-beach access closed from erosion and wood slats damaged - we had to use northern track or Waddy back road. Talk that wood slats being torn up and this track being made one way down only. No work as of yesterday though. If travelling down/up northern access, tight pinch in front of old resort with fallen vegetation - most of tide all ok though.

Waddy gutter - best I have seen it in many years with one long single defined gutter- great and easy launch and retrieve. Waddy beach is really wide at the moment.

Any further questions, just ask or PM me

Have a great comp.

Cheers

A

JB
04-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the report mate, sounds like things are pretty good overall. Cant wait to get up there! Good news about the launch gutter.

Jas

Lucky_Phill
04-05-2008, 10:32 AM
I am sure many here will appreciate that detailed report. Thanks.

Phill

All

Also forgot to mention

Fuel at Orchid was $1.89/L, and cheaper than Happy and Eurong. A new bar and restaurant opens at the shop next weekend. Comp site almost fully established and raring to go.

Cheers again and wish I was going up again for the comp.

A

mattooty
04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
I have never been to fraser and will not be fishing the comp but i would like to thank you mate for the detailed report and effort you've gone to to help make others have as safe and hassle free trip as possible!