PDA

View Full Version : Good bite session on "Alexander"

dayoo
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
"Alexander" the weapon headed out early yesterday morning from Mooloolaba to Barwon Banks( see pic of sunrise). Usual crew of Pepi (the skipper), Sasho,Frank the fishing machine, me and Pepi's father Rob.

On way out arrived at favourite snapper spots but fishing was slow only the occasional squire, parrot and 40cm pearlies.

Moved out near the shelf mid morning to search for new ground but not much show on the sounder. Will do longer search next trip to this area.

We moved back in to our snapper marks around 2pm and started to pull some good squire and a couple of nice parrot.

Around 4pm everything started to happen, snapper came on the bite together with a plague of small rosy jobfish (3 keepers at 42cm). I got hit by something reasonable and after a few winds of the Shimano I got hammered by something even bigger and the 40lb line started peeling off the reel. I quickly handed the rod to the fishing machine who pulled up a shark (est 8 foot, see pics attached).

A lot of good snapper were lost to the sharks over the next 30 minutes. The sounder showed a large shark under the boat about 20 metres off the bottom just as my rig was heading for the bottom. It slammed my bait and my rod bent to a full semi circle. With bulging eyes and puffing after a few minutes I handed my rod once again to the fishing machine. After numerous runs and 20 minutes later Frank had the large shark about 8 metres under the boat. I decided that my GForce rod and Shimano reel had enough punishment for one day and cut the line.

The reel now needs a service and new gears & bearings as it sounds like a coffee grinder.

Final tally 50 plus, including a tasty blue and yellow southern fusilier.

Cheers
Barry

lethal098
03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
nice catch guys shame about the grey suits, but still good fun pullin em in, shame about the reel. cheers

seapup
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Nice feed there Baz! Mongrel Sharks always test your gear! Pity about the Shimano sounding like a coffee grinder!
Benny.

keenfishr
03-05-2008, 06:46 PM
looks like a good feeed .... well done lads!!! man those twin suzi's look unreal...oh to have a boat like that!!!:)

Alchemy
03-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Barry,

What are those fusiliers like to eat? We get heaps of them at times up here, and have been throwing them back. If they're ok, I'll keep a few to try.

Regards,
Dave.

bustastu
03-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Awesome fish and conditions to match by the looks of things.

BS

dayoo
03-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Barry,

What are those fusiliers like to eat? We get heaps of them at times up here, and have been throwing them back. If they're ok, I'll keep a few to try.

Regards,
Dave.

Dave

Last tasted one about 10 years ago and it tasted like snapper. I had the rosy jobfish for dinner tonight, bloody beautiful. I'll be having the southern fusilier for lunch tomorrow just before I head up to Rainbow beach to target some Red Emperor.

Cheers,
Barry

snappa
03-05-2008, 11:19 PM
thats one hell of a parrot
did you weigh it

cheers

skipalong
04-05-2008, 05:32 AM
nice fish mate looks like an excellent day on the water

dayoo
04-05-2008, 06:55 AM
thats one hell of a parrot
did you weigh it

cheers

Yes mate, not real big just over 3.5kg.
If you want to see a real big venus tusky have a look at the hall of fame on www.rainbowbeachfishingcharters.com.au

Cheers
Barry

Alchemy
04-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Dave

Last tasted one about 10 years ago and it tasted like snapper. I had the rosy jobfish for dinner tonight, bloody beautiful. I'll be having the southern fusilier for lunch tomorrow just before I head up to Rainbow beach to target some Red Emperor.

Cheers,
Barry

Thanks Barry. We'll give them a try sometime. Good luck with your DI trip.

Regards,
Dave.

shandos
04-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Great catch there Barry -- good move passing a rod connected to a shark to someone else - I must try that.
I noticed in the background in one of the pics you are running twin 250HP Suzies -- that is a lot of grunt - awesome -what type of boat are they pushing??

Paul

cptpott
04-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks Barry. We'll give them a try sometime. Good luck with your DI trip.

Regards,
Dave.

Dave, you might find that the fusileers in Townsville are different to the southern ones. They even look different.
I ate one when I was in TSV and it was pretty mushy. But they are good livebait for spaniards.

Cheers

Craig

dayoo
04-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Great catch there Barry -- good move passing a rod connected to a shark to someone else - I must try that.
I noticed in the background in one of the pics you are running twin 250HP Suzies -- that is a lot of grunt - awesome -what type of boat are they pushing??

Paul

Paul
The boat is a 8.5 metre by 2.8 metre Ocean Prowler custom made by Performance Plate Boats at Brendale in Brisbane.

Cheers
Barry;D

Snapp
04-05-2008, 09:38 AM
looks like a good feeed .... well done lads!!! man those twin suzi's look unreal...oh to have a boat like that!!!:)

took my words exactly,
I clicked on the photo to take a good look at the donks.

I'm jealous :'(

Good feed men, I would have been there if not for work. >:(

reef_king
04-05-2008, 01:03 PM
good catch n report baz, bet ya's were hootin on the way in;D ;D hope all goes well on ya d.i trip

Orange_hains
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow nice feed there ... sorry but i could only laugh when u said it sounded like a coffe grinder Not at your loss but at the discription = D

shorty 01
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
well looks like you guys had a bloody good day. well done on the catch

missile
05-05-2008, 07:20 PM
great job boys!! nice pics.

Fishbait
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree - the motors looks awesome, and yes, the fish collection is spectacular too. Well Done on a great day out you lucky buggers!

dayoo
06-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys.
Just got back from DI and been filleting with Frank most of the day. Only hussars,moses,parrot,maori cod,cobia and more bloody sharks.

Ty
Yes, 'Alexander" was humming on the way in last Friday to the tune of 50knots until 5 miles out backed off to 30knots because of the idiots with no nav lights on.
Cheers
Barry