PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Canopy Care

Poodroo
02-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Just another one of those annoying questions. Having never owned a new boat before I was wondering if there is a need to hit the canvas canopy (seen in my signature photo) with a waterproofing spray? If so how often and what product is recommended? I figure a good quality water dispersing spray should help keep the water off it and hopefully prolong the life of it. They don't tell you this at the boat yard. Your feedback is appreciated as always.

Poodroo

Spaniard_King
03-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Poodroo,

Most good camping shops will carry a waterproofing spray if you feel you need it. personally I wouldn't use it as I am sure if its raining or ytour taking spray your not going to stop much. Really the design of the canopy will dicatate how good it will work ie small plastic strips sewed over zips to prevent leakage

Chimo
03-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi Poodroo

I just try and keep mine out of the sun as much as possible (when its not in use)
ie tarp over it but only after its dry or in a carport or garage when stored between uses. "Just re read this and yep keeping the thing in the shed at all times even when using it, will certainly keep it in good nick::)

Other than hosing off or a good wash in the rain, have not used any sprays etc other than swimming pool type silicone paste on the zippers, not being a spray, it seems to last better.

Cheers
Chimo

Roughasguts
03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
I soaked mine in nappy san to clean it, sure it was nice and bright and clean but no longer water resistant.

Then I sprayed it with 2 cans of silicone spray to water proof it, wow it looked really good deeper colour and all that, but still no longer water resistant.

So best thing is don't touch it I think.

Chimo
03-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Hi RAG

I heard nappysan was only for cast nets to keep em soft; seems that this is so Heh?;D

Cheers
Chimo

Skusto
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
sorry i cant remember wat it was called but it was silicone based spray worked a treat on the canvas and clears kept them looking brand new. it was garaged tho only saw sun when it hit the water.

bigtez
04-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Don't touch it. If the trimmer has used a quality material it will be rated as shower proof which means it will keep out 99% of the rain and spray but will still breath. There are heaps of different "waterptoofing" products out there but there is no gaurantee they won't do more harm then good.

In my opinion canopies on fishing boats should be made from a quality vinyl and not acrylic canvas. Vinyls are waterproof and have much better wear and rip resistance.

Terry

Roughasguts
04-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi RAG

I heard nappysan was only for cast nets to keep em soft; seems that this is so Heh?;D

Cheers
Chimo

Hi Chimo, yeah I buggered me canopy up by soaking it in Nappy san.
Hell ain't the only thing I buggered up, think I wrote the book on how to bust things.
But I would recomend it for your boat carpet, like you say softens it up and also kills the fish smell.

Cheers Rag.

Poodroo
04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will do as suggested and leave it alone. It gets a slight rinse with fresh water when I come home after an outing and that's it.

Regards,

Poodroo