PDA

View Full Version : 400 lb Groper off the Goldie

_Dan_
02-05-2008, 08:14 PM
HI all,

Anyone see 9 news, a 400lb groper was caught off the goldie, seems it now lives at seaworld on the coast and is the biggest fish on display in Australia.

Cheers

Dan

disorderly
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Didn't see it,Dan...
But how did they move him there?

Scott

_Dan_
02-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Seaworld came out in the vessel and craned him back to southport, i think there was an issue with his bladder?? but was 190kg, and inn the video it looked like he ate a whole tuna?? hahah

Cheers

Spaniard_King
02-05-2008, 09:09 PM
You mean this one Dan;D

A mate of mine got it on the 24's off the Goldy, he tried to burst its airbag but had no success. he Then called Seawold who had just had there 20 year old groper die only days ago. The Groper went 198 kg's will get some updated pics next week ;D

8lb Tunna it took on 80lb, some effort hey!

_Dan_
02-05-2008, 09:13 PM
all i can say is your mate is a champion, thats a one in a million and he preserved it for the future.

Two thumbs up from me...

disorderly
02-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Bloody hell..what a monster fish.... Garry have you got any more details...how long did the battle last?

Reel Nauti
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
What else would he have been fishing for with an 8lb Tuna on 80lb line?? Big Macks maybe?

Cheers

Dave

Spaniard_King
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Not sure Scott, I will have a chew on his ear this weeeknd :) He was chasin a big Cobia for his punters(he's a charter boat owner)

BARRAkid
02-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Probably did eat a who tuna they love them ;D
We have a few big ones and a few smaller ones aswell under the local jetty use to catch them on a tld 50 and they pull like all hell just a constant hard slow pull and just watch the line on your reel slowly disapear.
Atleast that one is still alive some D!ckhead with a dodgy 4 hook shark trace killed one from the bay a few months back.He hooked it in the gut with all 4 hookes and the crimps on the wire slipped and the fish was left with 4 hooks and 5 metres off wire hanging from its mouth was seen a day later floating in the current in the distance it just looked like a big drum floating and when it came close to the pier it was gaffed and took 6 flying gaffs to pull up after bending a few.(2 gaffes can pull up a 36kg spanish easy so the grouper was BIG)
Lucky the fella wasn't local or he would have been abused everytime he walked out the pier :(

Cheers BK

Wahoo
02-05-2008, 09:23 PM
damn Garry, thats huge, shame it did'nt make it, last weekend i hooked a ( i would say) 70kg+ cod, 80lb braid, that was hard enough for me, took us a good 5 min to get him going again and just swam down nice and steady

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/4xgold0/fishing054.jpg

Spaniard_King
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
damn Garry, thats huge, shame it did'nt make it, last weekend i hooked a ( i would say) 70kg+ cod, 80lb braid, that was hard enough for me, took us a good 5 min to get him going again and just swam down nice and steady

She/He did make it mate, It's recovering in a Quarantine tank at Seaworld. had a look at it today :) The vet had to rem0ove a broken gaff and stainless hook from it;s gut tho

disorderly
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM
He's a beauty Daz....how did you get him going again?....swum him beside the boat for a while or what?

Wahoo
02-05-2008, 09:27 PM
She/He did make it mate, It's recovering in a Quarantine tank at Seaworld. had a look at it today :) The vet had to rem0ove a broken gaff and stainless hook from it;s gut tho

Sorry Gary, just reread the post, me bad

Daz

Wahoo
02-05-2008, 09:36 PM
He's a beauty Daz....how did you get him going again?....swum him beside the boat for a while or what?

Scott, was only 20m water, so he was'nt to bad, put a needle in the air sack, had a welding glove on, just held him in the water until he had enough kick and let the bugger go, been diving with these fish and are a real shame that PPL kill em, they are something else under water, and not shy either

Daz

disorderly
02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Yes Daz unfortunately their lack of fear often leads to their downfall...there is often a resident cod/grouper around well frequented dive sites...it's often part of the entertainment to watch one being handfed...beaut fish alright.

What's the needle that you use to pierce the air bladder?

Scott

Wahoo
02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
What's the needle that you use to pierce the air bladder?

Scott

Scott, we still have quite a few needles left over from or ol dog ( had to inject quaterzone) sp that the vet gave us, just take the plunger bit out, always carry one on the boat

Daz

Cammy
03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
amazing fish there mate!!! im gonna have to go to UWW in the next couple of weeks to check it out! and to see my barras on display.

Cammo

dogsbody
04-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Big bertha alright. How good is it that they went through trouble of getting seaworld involved instead of just letting it go and hope for the best. Kudos.

Dave.

loophole
04-05-2008, 02:20 PM
amazing fish there mate!!! im gonna have to go to UWW in the next couple of weeks to check it out! and to see my barras on display.

Cammo

Cammy might be a waste of a drive going to Underwater world at Mooloolaba because the Groper would be at SEAWORLD AT SOUTHPORT :P

warrior
04-05-2008, 04:42 PM
hey wahoo is that you in your personal pic if it is whoo

disorderly
04-05-2008, 06:33 PM
hey wahoo is that you in your personal pic if it is whoo

Na mate...that's his mistresshttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif.

Cammy
04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Cammy might be a waste of a drive going to Underwater world at Mooloolaba because the Groper would be at SEAWORLD AT SOUTHPORT :P

lol shut up ya bum;D , i just wanna go to UWW to see my fish, im excited.

Cammo