PDA

View Full Version : Which side of cd ply for floor?

Bilopete
01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Just a quick one...

I noticed on the cd ply for a new floor that one side is smoother than the other.

Does it make any difference which side should face up or alternaltively which side the carpet should be glued to?

I just want to make sure before i cut the ply.

( I guess if I seal both sides with bondcrete it shouldn't make any difference!)

Cheers

Bilopete

sneddo
01-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I put the smooth side up after sealing it with bondcrete, this side will be more waterproof once the glue goes on as there is no imperfections for water to hold in, cheers, matt.

Hornet Rider
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Without knowing what the boat is, & what frequency you will expose it to salt or fresh water, I wonder if you have considered using outside ply? Also, you can glue the carpet, but then you can't lift it out to wash it & let it dry, which also gives your floor the chance to dry out.

For Steve
01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think it would really matter.

I've heard good info from reliable sources to only seal the top and sides of your ply floor. Something to consider.

Cheers
Brad

BaitThrower
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
CD is the quality rating of the outer ply layers.

This means the sheet will have one side rated "C" and one "D". C side is better quality than D side, so C would be the smoother side. "D" side may also likely have large noticeable knots or imperfections.

However, you could also put a belt sander or random orbit sander to "D" side to get it as smooth as "C" side bar the imperfections. Sealing the smoothest side will provide the best seal, however you can seal the "D" side quite well if you use a couple coats with a light sanding in between.

Bilopete
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
CD is the quality rating of the outer ply layers.

This means the sheet will have one side rated "C" and one "D". C side is better quality than D side, so C would be the smoother side. "D" side may also likely have large noticeable knots or imperfections.

However, you could also put a belt sander or random orbit sander to "D" side to get it as smooth as "C" side bar the imperfections. Sealing the smoothest side will provide the best seal, however you can seal the "D" side quite well if you use a couple coats with a light sanding in between.

On my piece of ply the smooth side is the one with most "knots". As for sealing it I have heard two stories from this board:
1. just seal the top and sides to let the moisture out, and
2. seal top, bottom and all sides and the water shouldn't be sble to get in!

The only problem I see with option 2 is whether I am likely to increase the chance of mildew if the water can't get away.

As for its exposure to water, this floor is for the area between the stern and the 1st thawte - where the fuel container sits, bait buckets etc, climb in and out of boat etc etc.