PDA

View Full Version : Its time to rethink the metery!

eotbmg
01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I was pondering my trip and Steve B's fantastic effort when it dawned on me, I dont think a metery is a metery any more. By this i mean ok your in the metery gang but it just doesnt have the exclusiveness that it once did. Maybe once upon a time a before the massive success of Impoundment barra and their phenomenal growth rates, when we could only dream about a meter salt water barra [which i still do], but since that tens of thousands of fish have surpassed the 100cm mark and i am thinking of a new bench mark. My pb is 110cm, so i am hunting somewhere above that, but am thinking that 130 cm or 140cm becomes the new metery. The way we are headed, we may see more fish than we think over the next year or so surpassing that.
I was chatting to Navi today about the tackle we are going to be using to chase these bigger brutes, and you start thinking of Papuan Bass gear. Seriously:o :o !!!!!
All thoughts appreciated
Ben

Steve B
01-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Ben, I have to agree. I think 120cm is a good safe benchmark these days IMHO. It has been my aim for a few years now. The biggest fish before this was 118cm in 2006. I caught three 118cm in a row, within an hour at Awoonga. Just couldnt crack 120cm.!!!

130cm + is a monster, and REAL evidence of such fish is rare. They are in all the dams, just landing the fish is the difference.!!!

For the record, the 105cm fought much harder in running than the 125cm, however, the 125cm used its weight to hold down and run when required more towards the end of the fight. It also had a trebble in its eye, which would have pissed it off no end!!!!;D

cheers Steve!!!!!

Dick Pasfield
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Perhaps it may apply to impoundment fish but in the river a metre is still a metre fish ;)

warrior
01-05-2008, 08:27 PM
i agree holey ,120cm sounds good for the bench mark i am yet to reach that mark 1130mm is my best and i am looking forward to join that club

NAGG
01-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I was pondering my trip and Steve B's fantastic effort when it dawned on me, I dont think a metery is a metery any more. By this i mean ok your in the metery gang but it just doesnt have the exclusiveness that it once did. Maybe once upon a time a before the massive success of Impoundment barra and their phenomenal growth rates, when we could only dream about a meter salt water barra [which i still do], but since that tens of thousands of fish have surpassed the 100cm mark and i am thinking of a new bench mark. My pb is 110cm, so i am hunting somewhere above that, but am thinking that 130 cm or 140cm becomes the new metery. The way we are headed, we may see more fish than we think over the next year or so surpassing that.
I was chatting to Navi today about the tackle we are going to be using to chase these bigger brutes, and you start thinking of Papuan Bass gear. Seriously:o :o !!!!!
All thoughts appreciated
Ben

Can we Southerners keep 100cm as our target ;)
Maybe you Queenslanders can limit your tackle ...... to bass grear:)

Nagg

stuart db
01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
NOW NOW Ben.

Going and raising the bar before us beginers even get of the mark. And here I was thinking you were a nice bloke. Agree you hear more and more about the metre fish but I will still be happy to start with a metery and work my way up. Don't want to start to big don't think heart could handle the excitement.

Stuart DB

the_matrix
01-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Perhaps it may apply to impoundment fish but in the river a metre is still a metre fish ;)
Rodger THAT!
Jas

eotbmg
01-05-2008, 08:46 PM
NOW NOW Ben.

Going and raising the bar before us beginers even get of the mark. And here I was thinking you were a nice bloke. Agree you hear more and more about the metre fish but I will still be happy to start with a metery and work my way up. Don't want to start to big don't think heart could handle the excitement.

Stuart DB
Stuart
That was Josh's first Metery, and he broke his previous old pb of 80 odd, the night before when we were you guys. Only his third serious barra trip
Ben

ifishcq1
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I can't get a decent impoundment barra and by the time I do get a metrey you lot will be looking to raise the bar again then we will just have to try harder ... I used to think it was harder to get big barras in the salt but the structure in the dams levels the playing field a bit .... I take my hat off to the guys that catch them regularly

eotbmg
01-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Rodger THAT!
Jas
Yes 100% agree that a saltwater metery is the jewel in the crown of barra angling, no dispute there!;D
Just talking about the impoundment mark.
Ben

BR65
01-05-2008, 08:51 PM
have been kickin that around for a bit now mate, I reckon 120 is the new bench mark, certainly not un-achievable, but still something to aim for.

Plenty at Awoonga, so Im told;)

Just progression as the impoundment stocked fish mature, and maybe we as anglers increase our skills and knowledge on the big girls, useing the improved tackle, terminal gear, electronics and experiences of others to further the chase???
I remember reading a post ages ago "are you in the meter club yet?" on here and wishing I was. My first barra, at mid 50cm, was a milestone, for me, but just a mouse (not even a rat) for others more experienced.
I reckon theres still some personal satisfaction in how the big girls are caught though, drives me crazy when some one tells me they caught a metery trollin "out there some where cobber on somethin I just pulled out of the box, dont know what it was, some shiny kind of lure thingo" good luck to them, hey, got the big fish, but....., each to their own. Spose thats one of the reasons impoundments are stocked.

stuart db
01-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Ben,

Now that Ive been once it won't matter how big you want them or how big I catch them I will just keep going back to look for one that is bigger than the last. Thats what I.B.D is isn't it. I think i've got it now.
Stuart

BR65
01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
yep, go the salty meterey's, I want one of those, preferably from a mangrove river in the NT, stinkin hot, mozzies, plenty of crocs

NAGG
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
yeh .... i will always refer to wild or saltys ....... Usually taken on lighter gear8-)
I.B.D is another thing again::) ( I certainly dont fish 14lb braid on a 6kg rod to target impoundment fish)

Nagg

mikooh
01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I agree that 120cm is now the IMPOUNDMENT benchmark. Even as part timers we sort of expect to catch meter+ fish on our 3-4 trips to Awoonga each year, and I can remember more than one sesson where meterys have been unhooked beside the boat in a hurry so we could try again for bigger fish, without even taking a photo!
My father inlaw is a seasoned NT fisherman and to him a meter barra is something very special. He shook his head in disbelief when I pulled a 108cm within an hour of arriving at Awoonga a few years back, but now sees that the stocked impoundment beasties are a different kettle of fish alltogether, each with its own place in the fishing world.
My PB at Awoonga stands at 117, and both my mates stand at 117 and 119 respectively, and it seems as if each time we beat our benchmark the bar has been raised again by someone else. Thats what keeps us coming back. Thats what keeps us hungry for our next adventure!
BTW congratulations to those in the 4ft club. You lucky bastards...

Steve B
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM

Definatley Dick,Couldnt agree more. They make impoundment barra look ordinary in the fitness stakes. My best in salt is 115cm at South Aligator river....took a long time to land, they use the tide ect to there advantage dont they!!!!

Deffinatley two seperate catagories!!!!

cheers steve

Dick Pasfield
01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Deffinately two separate categories!!!!about right so comparing the two does not do either fish justice. They're all a challenge in their own environment. :)

Here's a few salty horses, I should point out both my kids have fish longer than me at the moment>:(

the_matrix
02-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Great pics mate.
Jas

Brad Clark
02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
I think the whole idea of the benchark length of any fish is a personal thing. I was lucky enough to catch a 114cm barra on my first barra outing at Awoonga. I then fished Monduran and my best on my second trip (fishless on the first) was 95cm. I was stoked with this fish as I got a barra at Monduran in the sticks. My next goal was to crack the metre mark at Monduran. Now I had already boated a 114cm at Awoonga but I was really hoping to just crack the metre mark at Monduran. My next trip to Monduran I got a 103cm. I cracked the Monduran metre mark and I was as stoked with that as I was with the 114 at Awoonga. The next time I go to Monduran I want to beat 103 and the next time I go to Awoonga I want to beat 114.

I think generally if you say you got a 120+ barra from anywhere you are onto a really good fish but any sized barra caught is a bonus especially if it was bigger than your last personal best.

I agree though, if you get a 125cm+ barra you can lay claim to something special.

Gordie
02-05-2008, 08:07 AM
This is great to read fellas but to those of us who havent made the metre mark yet, there is a lot of time, effort and study goes into reaching that point.

I just spent 3 days on M and all I have to show is a leg bitten off a frog lure and photos of other peoples fish, so back to the drawing board until next trip.

Regards Gordon

Barraboss
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Coming from the far south coast NSW, every meterey I catch is a real thrill for me, and reminds me how damn fortunate that I am to live close to an area where this is possible either in salt or fresh.

A benchmark is a personal thing. For some, just catching a 30cm barra in a farm dam is good enough, through to (my goal) boating a 130+ is a pretty high one to aim for. All are possible but it comes down to self satisfaction.

Right now I am aiming to get a meterey again after four meterless trips, but know it could happen on any cast, so I keep going back....and back...and back!!!!

Cheers guys

Matt

Magella
02-05-2008, 03:50 PM
I personally don't get over excited about benchmarks example I believe a 85 cm fish is a top effort for someone who has only ever fished for whiting and bream, might not be to impressive to guys who catch meter plus barra all the time but still is a great achievement for that angler. Barra fishing in lakes is a bit like golf or any other individual sport who just try harder to beat your last score or in fishing, catch a bigger Barra.
I always fish in hope of catching a bigger PB [117] but am happy with any barra from the sticks

Cheers Foxie

black_sheep
07-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Agree with most post that a 120 fish is special and would love to get one but like others have said, it's a personal thing and everyone sets their own benchmark. To guys like Jas and Johnny M, I'm sure 130's+ is their next goal as they've caught countless over a metre but like Foxy said, if you a trout or bream fishermen, any barra in the sticks is a great achievement. I also rate a fish in the sticks higher then one off the weedbeds or trolled up in the main basin so those who have landed 120's+ in the sticks is an awesome effort.

It still freaks me out a bit to try and fathom what our strategy will be in 5 yrs time when 120's are common and you'll hear of 130's, 140's, 150's.........being boated. As Ben said, bring out the PNG gear. I struggle to fish with anything heavier then a 200/250 size reel so I guess it just means less time on the water and more time drowing your sorrows with a coldie - not such a bad thing.

Dick, those are awesome salties mate. Trade 5 impoundment metrey's for one of them in a blink.

As Steve says - IMHO!!!

the_matrix
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
IMHO is a good thing.

My two bobs worth?
Barra are Barra, they are challenging and skillful, whichever way you go.
In timber, on weedbeds, trolled deep or caught on fly, they are all special in their own way. Who am I to tell a guy who trolled a Barra up on his first ever attempt that his fish is lesser fish than one caught casting? Not likely.

Goals? My goals are not measured in centimetres, more like hours on the water learning more stuff about these wicked fish. There is so much to learn!
The path of least resistance does not appeal to me, I reckon the more you learn about these fish, the higher your chance of getting some obese crazy lengthed fish.

Personally dont think 120's will ever be common (they are not now) too many fish get taken.
Same goes with 140-150cm fish. I dont reckon they will make it.
Just my view.
Jas

black_sheep
07-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Personally dont think 120's will ever be common (they are not now) too many fish get taken.
Same goes with 140-150cm fish. I dont reckon they will make it.
Just my view.
Jas[/quote]

If anyone knows Jas, you would but I hope you are wrong. However, thinking about it, Tinaroo has been stocked for a lot longer than other impoundments and although big fish aren't uncommon up there, a 120 is still a talked about fish.

Maybe we should be stocking with Nile Perch;D .

Jas, what's the biggest you've heard of? Someone once mentioned a 160 elctrofished by DPI out of Faust and I have also heard of 150's? All anecdotal info.

the_matrix
07-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Navi,
I think 120's will always be a special fish. I cant see them becoming common.
John Mitchell and I were talking about this very subject the other day. He reckons they wont reach their full potential, I agree. Too much effort directed at them, only a handful sneak through. The only way would be to lock people out of impoundments for say 5 years, leave them to their devices, then open the gates. Same thing but, they'd get caught and not many would go back.
Hence the shortage. Its nice to think we'll have a dam full of 120's, but its not going to happen in my opinion. They wise up incredibly too. Remarkable differences between Monduran Barra behaviour compared to Awoonga Barra behaviour. A huge difference.

Whats the biggest I have heard of? 157cm out of Awoonga. He went to every tackle shop in Hervey Bay and told them all, then I got the pic.
I politley told the guy that 1057mm isnt quite that big.
Biggest I have seen? Shit its easy to offend people here, but the Tinaroo fish that you sent me pics of is up there, a Copperload mammoth which doesnt really count cause no one can fish it, Barraboss's 127, but the standout is without doubt Tony Mitchells 130 from Awoonga. That thing and Matts fish from Tinaroo were epic in proportion. Maybe better have been caught but I havent seen them. I saw the Monduran monster too, but its hard to tell how big it is cause the guy is leaning back and the fish is further in front. If your not sure what I mean check the photo of Greenies young fella Michael In the latest Barra Bass and Bream. Big fish, a cracker 120 something from memory, but if someone told you it was 150cm, you'd believe it. Camera's do funny things.
Ive seen a few legit 150+ salties caught locally :-X but rarely dam fish are lean and long.

I have heard all the 150cm 160cm electrofish stories, Faust, Tinaroo, and even Awoonga. They are rubbish, stories made up by bored people.
Trust me, if a 150+ gets zapped, you think the DPI is going to hide that! No, I dont think so. Its all mythical.

black_sheep
07-05-2008, 03:52 PM
You going to break a lot of hearts with your opinions Jas- even if it's being realistic.

On the monduran/awoonga scenario - is it more so to do with the structure of the dam rather than the number of anglers/fishing pressure. Mondy obviously has less 'open' water and more hiddy holes for the barra so therefore, the fish are less spooked?

BTW - have you personally caught a 150 salty??

Funny how you never see these 140+'s on a brag mat!

shaynes_god
07-05-2008, 04:13 PM
you guys are spoilt.
honestly i have spent most of my life in the territory. and i remember spending long weekends up the mary river system catching three hundred barra between two of us in 18hrs but all under 80cm and while they were great days all we wanted was to get the magic meter fish. i know guys still up there that have spent years fishing all the rivers and still haven't landed the meter fish. i don't want to offend anyone writing this but while it is good that we as fisherman are pushing ourselves to bigger and better fish i think that we should still be greatful for the fact that we can readily catch fish that alot of people only dream of.
i believe that a greater goal is to further develop your own knowledge and try and get to the stage where you can head out from the boat ramp and know without a doubt that you will catch a few fish that day.
thanks for listening.
shayne

Steve B
07-05-2008, 04:25 PM
As Steve says - IMHO!!![/quote]

OOY you lot, are yous takin the p.i.s.s. out a me;D ;D

I'd rather catch 1 fish on a new method, in new water....after I have a brain theory that actually works, than 5 fish (ball park figure;) ) caught using a same ol same ol method. Although thats fun too.....just not as rewarding in your own head.

I'd rather share the moment with a mate too.....I noticed that the other day when there wasn't anyone to jump up and down in the boat with me and celebrate my 127cm. It was quite an anti-climax IMHOOOOOOO;) ;D

Steve,

Steve B
07-05-2008, 04:31 PM
you guys are spoilt.
honestly i have spent most of my life in the territory. and i remember spending long weekends up the mary river system catching three hundred barra between two of us in 18hrs but all under 80cm and while they were great days all we wanted was to get the magic meter fish. i know guys still up there that have spent years fishing all the rivers and still haven't landed the meter fish. i don't want to offend anyone writing this but while it is good that we as fisherman are pushing ourselves to bigger and better fish i think that we should still be greatful for the fact that we can readily catch fish that alot of people only dream of.
i believe that a greater goal is to further develop your own knowledge and try and get to the stage where you can head out from the boat ramp and know without a doubt that you will catch a few fish that day.
thanks for listening.
shayne

couldnt agree more Shayne, we are spoilt for size and proximity (well I am anyway). Not a day goes by that I am not greatful for many things in life...big barra on my doorstep is high up the list.:D

300 barra in 18hrs would be a rewarding 3/4 of a day out in anyones fishing life!! Ahh whats a metre anyway??...its just a number. The challenge you speak of is more important.

thanks for the post, keep em coming.

the_matrix
07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
You going to break a lot of hearts with your opinions Jas- even if it's being realistic.

On the monduran/awoonga scenario - is it more so to do with the structure of the dam rather than the number of anglers/fishing pressure. Mondy obviously has less 'open' water and more hiddy holes for the barra so therefore, the fish are less spooked?

BTW - have you personally caught a 150 salty??

Funny how you never see these 140+'s on a brag mat!
Yeh Navi, I know it will break hearts. Sometimes things are best left unsaid.
But you asked for my honest opinion, well thats it, no rose coloured glasses or lip service, just what I think. I'd like to think and see otherwise, but I dont see it.

Awoonga vs Monduran? Purely and simply fishing pressure mate, lots of those fish have never been caught before, at least thats what I am seeing of late. I remember when Awoonga's barra's were like that. Yesterdays session was mind numbing and one of the best I have ever had in regards to big fish.

Have I caught a 150? Gosh no, there wouldnt be that many out there who have, however my local area has some of the biggest Barra I have ever seen anywhere, mean suckers that destroy your tackle like no other.
My best saltie is 113cm, I have hooked and lost 120+fish boatside though.
Got a heap over a metre in the salt last year, this year bugger all maybe a dozen, spent 6 weeks back home chasing Southern species which slowed me up.

Steve, no we aint taken the piss outta ya mate, everyone is entitled to their opinion ;)
Jas

NAGG
07-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Metery Shmetery ..... it's just a number!;)
Every barra is special in its own way ........ 8-)

What we are talking about are personal milestones ..... be it 100cm or 130cm ?

..... wont you be pissed when you hear that a legit 140cm job ..... is landed by a Grey nomad while having a troll in the main basin somewhere:P ... on their very first trip

Maybe when it gets to a point where you struggle to improve on your PB ( or climb Everest) .... you could rethink your approach ....... & say see if you can knock over some meterys on 12 lb bass gear ! ........ now that will sort out the men from the boys:)

Just a different perspective on the question at hand

Cheers

Nagg

black_sheep
08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Steve - Not taking the p*ss mate;) Just didn't want to be crucifide for things I say as it is my opinion only. Steve, you need to setup a webcam on the boat for when you fish solo so you can share the moment;D .

Shaynes - mate, I agree. One thing I must say is that every holiday I have taken in the last 10yrs has been a fishing holiday - mostly chasing barra. Countless dollars spent and countless hours for sometimes very little reward. I agree that we are spoiled and I guess that's part of the reason why we try and go as often as we can but I have never ever taken the fishery for granted as it can all be destroyed in a split second. Mate, I caught 300 garfish ones in a session that had me buzzing for days so I could only imagine the thrill of getting 300 barra - awesome stuff mate and memories that will last a lifetime.

Jas, you are bloody spoilt:o . Are you going to incorporate salt water trips (barra, jacks....) as part of your charter service?

TinarooTriumph
08-05-2008, 08:36 PM
The 'Metre' club is a special mark if you ask me... fish of less size or more size are still just fish at the end of the day, but for the bulk of us if they manage to get into triple figures on the mat then we can be even happier with our efforts. My PB is not as big as others, neither do I care because I have landed, and been apart of many metre plus moments (quite a few 120's). I must admit though, having a 120+ fish in your Boat is an absolute buzz... its like your on Cloud 9. Those that have endured what Im talking about will know what I mean... its incredibly special.

As for big fishies... the Copperlode giant is bloody nuts... built like a tank. Joe's 135 and his 128 plus Matt's 127 are all big fat fish that are just mindblowing. But, and I say this, if your ever in Atherton at all, call into Atherton Bait and Tackle and ask Daryl Hubbard about the lady from Innisfail that caught a 100lb+ Barra in Houseboat Bay and he will kindly show you the photo (he has hidden it behind the Barra Trophy on the wall above the counter). Easily 100lb... length... buggered if I know... you'd think 130+cm, but like that Monduran monster that I saw the sheila thats holding this fish has it in a weird position so its hard to tell. That Monduran Monster I keep seeing is deceptive... bloody big but not record breaking... sorry! Those are caught weekly up here and call me arrogant and what-not but keep in mind this is Tinaroo.

Cheers

Theo

eotbmg
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
How big was that barra that is in Harros book from Tinaroo??? You know the one with the guy with the porn mo holding the barra over the side of his tinny, its a bloody horse. That fish out of Monduran is bloody huge also, i would always get a photo of it on the brag mat though................ just to keep Navi happy!!!!!!
Ben

rod harrison
09-05-2008, 08:46 AM
The bloke in BARRA was a Kiwi ex-prop forward. He caught it on a mouth almighty. It wasn't measured or weighed and probably ended up at a hungi. Scientific sampling in Tinaroo by Walkamin facilty head bio, Alf Hogan, cites 44something kilo fish.....that's a hundred. The Kiwi fish wasn't there, but wasn't far away.

Back in days of stretch mono and so-so lures and trebles,
there were some mighty barra along the Gulf of Papua. To do a Steptoe - and give myself a pat on the back - some probably stretched beyond 150. Weighing and measuring - nor having pictures taken of myself - weren't on the menu then. Speaking of 'hundreds' how about that skite in Modern Fishing that he's caught a ton of lakers over the ton??? Cripes, Warren, you've got me covered and a lot of other better rods who were consistent on impoundment barra eight to ten years before your first...

In the gulf, an odd sort of problem arose in the most tangible way. Drag settings, mine anyway, were and still are enough to keep the hooks in and take the sting out of most fish. So when a yard plus of gyrating barra came out of the water, Nilsy or Hi-Lo in mouth, there was enough cushion to help prevent it wrenching free. The thumb was always there for dire emergencies. Dropping the rod to create slack helps. You need a boxer's reflexes to do that, some people shouldn't try.

So, nervous system settled and rig re-checked, the next cast plonks amongst the branches of a fallen jungle hardwood giant. Four cranks later something unstoppable has the lure deep in the bowels of the branches. No guesses there.

Re-living some of that time through these few words, it's safe the say that life dumps worse problems on one's doorstep.

Magella
09-05-2008, 08:56 AM
Metery Shmetery ..... it's just a number!;)
Every barra is special in its own way ........ 8-)

What we are talking about are personal milestones ..... be it 100cm or 130cm ?

..... wont you be pissed when you hear that a legit 140cm job ..... is landed by a Grey nomad while having a troll in the main basin somewhere:P ... on their very first trip

Maybe when it gets to a point where you struggle to improve on your PB ( or climb Everest) .... you could rethink your approach ....... & say see if you can knock over some meterys on 12 lb bass gear ! ........ now that will sort out the men from the boys:)

Just a different perspective on the question at hand

Cheers

Nagg
Nagg,
This already happens we have photos and messages here from people who have never saw, little loan caught a barra and have trolled 200 metres from the boat ramp hooked and landed barra up to 130
I just laugh and tell them " well it's all down hill from here"'

Cheers Foxie

Little grey men
09-05-2008, 09:23 AM
So, nervous system settled and rig re-checked, the next cast plonks amongst the branches of a fallen jungle hardwood giant. Four cranks later something unstoppable has the lure deep in the bowels of the branches. No guesses there.

Thanks Rod,
I love reading this sort of stuff. I work with a bloke that grew up in PNG in the sixties. He's done all types of fishing and tells me countless tales but when he starts talking about fishing up there for these monsters he gets a real sparkle in his eye and he gets very excited.
He likes to tell me of how they use to make lures out of some type of white palm tree leaf ??? toss it out on a strong handline and pull it back in flat out to tempt the big ones.

Thanks for sharing.:)

rod harrison
09-05-2008, 11:05 AM
I've seen the palm leaf trick but not for bass.

But one time when I ran out of lures and it was a week
before I was going to be picked up from a remote village I was tempted to get some lure blanks from some amputations to the local architecture.

The native carvings are nightmarish but have a common theme, a phallus fixation. I was tempted to lop off some GT Poppers and start pruning, but big lures aren't that good for barra inasmuch as they offer a twisting fish too much leverage.

Little grey men
09-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I've seen the palm leaf trick but not for bass.

Yeah sorry Rod, Barra, not bass.
He didn't get onto any bass when he lived there. He was only a skinny little kid back then so the black bass probably would have pulled him in the drink.

Steve B
09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Hey Rod,

I remember seeing a video of you hooking and landing a fairly big, solid PNG black bass on FLY !!!! If I remember you got blown away by a couple others too!!!!

Do you remember that, if so, how much fun was that!!!! That was a fair while ago.....not saying your old mate...just experienced!!;) ;D I would like to here more about it. I just remember while you were stripping line, seeing the tip of the fly rod about 4ft above the water on second and just about hittin the water the next second with the strike!!

cheers steve

rod harrison
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
thanks Steve,

I keep saying age is a state of mind. Be young enough to do whatever it is....but old enough to do it properly. Still, there's no escaping the older you get the better you were.

Now that there's a lot more time to think and write, amongst writing projects over the next two years there's a bio that will also include fishing travels through Africa, Central and South America as well as PNG. I have to thank a lot of people for putting up with a bad tempered prick like me.

TinarooTriumph
09-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Scientific sampling in Tinaroo by Walkamin facilty head bio, Alf Hogan, cites 44something kilo fish.....that's a hundred. The Kiwi fish wasn't there, but wasn't far away.

Alf is a bloody top bloke and every single Impoundment Barra angler who enjoy's catching these fish should shake his hand and buy the man a Beer. He is a good angler himself and his son Adam ain't bad with a stick either.

Im sure Alf let you in on where he zapped that 44kg fish Harro... best kept secret there is! Funniest place imagineable. Im sure there's a few more up here roaming around. Not hundreds, but a few dozen for sure.

Cheers

Theo

BR65
09-05-2008, 05:59 PM

talk about painting a picture with words, can almost feel the jolt down my arm, see the big boil on the water surface, taste the dissapointment as the line grates, great stuff Harro
cheers
brian

eotbmg
09-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Harro.
Thanks for your input mate, as you can tell alot of us on this forum really appreciate your inclusion, just great to hear it from you on how it used to be when you were fishing the remote places of P.N.G. etc. I for one really appreciate it!!!!!
How are you going ? Havent spoken to you for a while? Have you spoken to my little Mauritian [not martian] mate Jacques lately?? I will have to come up and see you soon. Cheers mate hope you are ok.
Regards
Ben

Luc
09-05-2008, 07:35 PM
As I only get to fish Awonga / Monduran once a year, any size barra is a great catch.

A metery would be magic.

Luc

rod harrison
11-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Keep casting, Luc. Get a lot of first casts in. Fish at the longest possible range so's to remove the boat from the equation. Try and avoind fishing the same track twice, and only rarely, if you've just dragged a pile of weed along that path.

Those feisty 80ish fish making up the bulk of Awoonga captures thesedays will be over the metre mark in a year. Kurt Husby (GAWB hatchery head) has done a real smart thing in stocking the lake in the winter, rather than summer. I think he's getting a better class of fish from going against the conventional wisdom. I had an American friend out a coupla weeks back. He'd fished everywhere and was adamant that Awoonga was the best freshwater he'd ever had. The great thing is that we get it all for free. The GAWB have made an extraordinary contribution to fisho quality of life.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
11-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Those feisty 80ish fish making up the bulk of Awoonga captures thesedays

Depends on who fishes and how they fish Rod. Plenty of metre plus barra in that lake awaiting to have their minds tested. I'm sure the tide will turn for most on fish sizes boated after this mass weed issue either accelerates or degrades. My money is an each way bet at present. What are your thoughts? Some strands are 9 metres long. I think it is losing the battle but water levels are dropping, so I'm uncertain at this moment.
A large number of fingerlings are to be released in Awoonga in the near close future. Great to hear good words on Awoonga from an overseas visitor.
Cheers,
Johnny

Tropicaltrout
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Well as most of the impoundment boys have stated yes 120cm is a good bench mark.

I agree for those fishing in the more open dams but lads anyone of you get a fish in the thick timber of Monduran or Faust you are doing well a $1 plus and your going fantastic, after hooking these big girls and you might win by getting him un-wrapped from the thousand sticks hes darted around then play him out with the thousand emotions, at breaking point line, hooks starting to straighten and the rod bent over the boat ten times a meter fish in the sticks is a achivement of huge proportions.

Me and others have un-weaved many a meter barra up in the sticks of Mondy and when it was at 18 % there were some real thick timber to un tangle the buggers, so in my opinion anything over the still to me magic meter is a fish of a life time.

I enjoy the barra no matter the size my dollar 15 was something else but so was any other.

Great thread cheers Nath

BR65
11-05-2008, 09:12 PM
reckon those crazy 90's are the hardest to get out of the wood work, pull like a train, dont knock up as quick as the big girls, and at the moment quite a few in there

nipsta
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
reckon those crazy 90's are the hardest to get out of the wood work, pull like a train, dont knock up as quick as the big girls, and at the moment quite a few in there

i had a couple of 90's that fought harder then most i have caught, especiallly when ya get them in the thick timber i agree a metre is a metre if we are setting the bar higher thats a personal chioce but i reckon if ya crack the metre mark its hopefully reward for alot of effort . "There all fun no mater what size" i love them barra

PNG1M
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I reckon that the IGFA should have two categories for World Record barra.
One for 'wild caught' and one for 'impoundement'.
The current IGFA world record for a barra is:
Species: Barramundi
Scientific Name: Lates calcarifer
Line Class: 37 kg (80 lb)
Fish Weight: 41 lbs. 8 oz. - 18.824 kgs
Angler: Ian Middleton
Date: 9/24/2007
LC Approved

18-19kg is a pretty chunky barra by all accounts....and congrats to Ian (especially if he's reading this) as he's the weighmaster of our fishing club. And trust me, he knows his barra..!

A 18.8kg impoundment caught record makes it a realistic possibility for an angler who fishes for 'wild caught' fish to land record breaker. It'd be a different story though if the current WR was a big fat slug of an impoundment fish over 25kg.

I presume the IGFA must classify fish according to species rather than environments...(but I still wish a png black bass was a bass and not a snapper)

By the content of previous threads it seems that there have been quite a few barra caught that've been larger than Ian's. I suppose there are the formalities & paperwork involved in submitting a record claim that might put some blokes off.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to say that you are the current 'world record' holder for barra (and you can prove it in the IGFA records).

Anyway, any lure caught barra is a good barra. I've never fished for impoundment barra as of yet but have landed loads of wildies in PNG up to and over 1m. Great fun & quality fish - no doubt!

BR65
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I reckon that the IGFA should have two categories for World Record barra.
One for 'wild caught' and one for 'impoundement'.
The current IGFA world record for a barra is:
Scientific Name: Lates calcarifer
Line Class: 37 kg (80 lb)
Fish Weight: 41 lbs. 8 oz. - 18.824 kgs
Angler: Ian Middleton
Date: 9/24/2007
LC Approved

18-19kg is a pretty chunky barra by all accounts....and congrats to Ian (especially if he's reading this) as he's the weighmaster of our fishing club. And trust me, he knows his barra..!

A 18.8kg impoundment caught record makes it a realistic possibility for an angler who fishes for 'wild caught' fish to land record breaker. It'd be a different story though if the current WR was a big fat slug of an impoundment fish over 25kg.

I presume the IGFA must classify fish according to species rather than environments...(but I still wish a png black bass was a bass and not a snapper)

By the content of previous threads it seems that there have been quite a few barra caught that've been larger than Ian's. I suppose there are the formalities & paperwork involved in submitting a record claim that might put some blokes off.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to say that you are the current 'world record' holder for barra (and you can prove it in the IGFA records).

Anyway, any lure caught barra is a good barra. I've never fished for impoundment barra as of yet but have landed loads of wildies in PNG up to and over 1m. Great fun & quality fish - no doubt!

didnt know that, I would have thought the curent official IGFA record would be well above 18.8kg, reckon Ive seen bigger fish than that hauled out of the basin at Mondy by the meatos, let alone some of the big girls from A or the bigger girls from Tinaroo that pop up, spose not every ones into haveing their name in a book, specially the fillet and release chappies
re the "big fat slug of an impoundment fish", 50lb + from the sticks on a short cast in tight country, the fight is invariably short, sharp and brutal, usually one sided, they lack the stamina of a wild fish, but counter balance that with sheer brute size in a tangle of lay down timber and vertical trees
cheers
brian

Steve B
12-05-2008, 08:39 PM
PNG,

I guarantee the 125cm fish I got the other day would be greater than 18.8kg probably closer to 25kg. Its not the paperwork that deters me from going for a record. I just WONT kill a big fish to satisfy my ego, or for any other reason. I think thats the attitude of many blokes these days. I'd much rather have an awesome photo on my wall for my mates to stare at, than a dead fish and a record which someone will beat soon enough. Thats just my feelings.

I would rather catch a stack of salt water metereys and a black bass up you way than a WR impoundment barra:D Your a lucky bugger;D

Steve

nipsta
12-05-2008, 09:13 PM
PNG,

I guarantee the 125cm fish I got the other day would be greater than 18.8kg probably closer to 25kg. Its not the paperwork that deters me from going for a record. I just WONT kill a big fish to satisfy my ego, or for any other reason. I think thats the attitude of many blokes these days. I'd much rather have an awesome photo on my wall for my mates to stare at, than a dead fish and a record which someone will beat soon enough. Thats just my feelings.

I would rather catch a stack of salt water metereys and a black bass up you way than a WR impoundment barra:D Your a lucky bugger;D

Steve

and dont forget about that other c & r species the mondy trout them as well stev lol

Tropicaltrout
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
PNG,

Steve
I am with you steve mate, record are nothing i regards to seeing those fish swim away yeah sure it would be good to be wr holder but its alot of overwelming emotion to just catch one once.

let the guys who troll the open water worry about the records I much rather a pic and a wet face from the tail.
Nath

eotbmg
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
PNG,

Steve

Yes i completely agree, Steve and Nath.
The record is not even on my mind when fishing for these big brutes, i reckon close to 30 kilo's for your's and Josh's 123 cm and the thought of a record has only just entered my mind. It's the last thing you want, all i want is to see them swim away fine. 18 kilo's is still a big fish, but thousads have been landed over that weight and not weighed in! Just cant bring myself to killing one.
Ben

matt fraser
13-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Maybe the 37kg line class World Record is 18.8kg?!

I'm sure the all tackle record is around 38kg caught at Tinaroo in the late 90's. From memory that fish was around 141cm.

I just tried to log on to IGFA to check the records, but you have to be a member. I'm sure Rod or an IGFA member might be able to clear things up.

I caught a 3kg line class World Record at Tinaroo in 1999 - it went 21.55kg, measured 114cm. Hopefully its still standing - not sure?

I also agree that records should be different for impoundment and wild fish. Great thread - Meterys for wild fish, 120cm for impoundment.

Cheers,

Matt

rod harrison
13-05-2008, 02:48 PM
You're too modest, Matt.
I do remember fishing with Jack Erskine and Laurie Woodbridge that day and driving over to your boat to drop Wood off when it seemed you needed a hand - all by yourself trying to play a fish and film at the same time. The Tooth Fairy must have been on the tiller. Wood did a great job filming.
It was a great piece of fishing mate. I think the record will stand.
There were a parcel of IGFA records set at Bensbach but that's pretty tame water and there aren't any bass there.

PNG1M
13-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey Matt,

You're right mate. I sussed out the IGFA records page and the ALL TACKLE record was set in 1999 by David Powell and stands at 37.85kg

I should'a sussed out the records page more closer the first time.

KILLING a fish to claim a record: No, I wouldn't do it either but you don't have to.
Below I have included an extract from the IGFA records section. See point 3 where it says the fish can be identifiable from photos. Plus there needs to be witnesses etc ...but no need to kill the fish!

ALL-TACKLE CATEGORY
All-Tackle world records are kept for the heaviest of a fish species
caught by an angler in any line class up to 130 lb (60 kg). Fish caught on
lines designed to test over the 130 lb (60 kg) class will not be considered
for record claims.

All-tackle record claims are considered for all species of fish
caught according to IGFA angling rules.

1. The fish must represent a valid species with a recognized
scientific name.
2. The fish must be a species commonly fished for with rod and
reel in the general area where the catch is made.
3. The fish must be identifiable based on photos and other
supporting data presented with the application.
4. The fish must be considered “trophy-sized.” A rule of thumb is
that the weight must fall within the top half of the estimated maximum
weight of the species.

Current ALL-TACKLE record:
Scientific name: Lates calcarifer
All-tackle Line Class: 24 kg (50 lb)
Fish weight: 83 lbs. 7 oz. - 37.85 kgs
Angler: David Powell
Date: 9/23/1999
LC Approved

Photos will definately be sufficient to substantiate a record claim, as long as the photos are clear and the fish is easily identifiable. Ideally, the pics should be examined by a qualified 'ichthyologist' (fisheries biologist) and then, if they are unable to verify the species from the photos, the actual fish itself may need to be presented.

So if your snaps aren't up to par - big deal about the record, as long as the fish is still alive & well.

Cheers guys...
png

Steve B
13-05-2008, 09:15 PM
ThankPNG,

thats great info. I didnt realise that you could get a record with out th killing!! Very good to see. Thanks for that mate.

Matt, thats a great record on light gear. hope it stand for you.

cheers Steve.

PNG1M
13-05-2008, 11:07 PM
No worries cobber,
I'll be off-site for a day or two and away from the Net, but if I had time I'd like to add some more info about how to lodge IGFA record claims etc. For a start you need to join the IGFA which I did about a month ago, online for US$40. They send you couple of member stickers and a decent size mag with loads of info, plus of course you get a user ID to access the website.

You can download & print the application forms needed to apply for a record and there's loads of support material about the do's and the don'ts. There's a processing fee to lodge a record claim plus if you catch a good size fish that you're proud of and you know it won't break a record, you can send in the stats and have an official IGFA Catch Certificate made up to celebrate the achievement (great to hang on the wall above the beer fridge).

The IGFA have also become more environmentally conscious and fully support habitat preservation and catch & release. Good to see that the organisation is modernising along with the times.

In a day or two I'd like to add some more specific info either in this thread or maybe start another. Is there anything you'd like to find out that might be on the IGFA site?

I reckon I might be on the prowl for a record later this year for barra or more likely black bass as I google earthed the remote Fly River area we'll be fishing and located some previously 'untried & unfished' creeks & lagoons that we'll be able to access. I know these places are unfished as I've been to the area five times before with the fishing club I'm in, and I know the stretches they fish (and where they've never been to yet).

I'm there for a longer stint this time (8 days instead of the usual 4) so will have time up my sleeve to venture further afield into some previously untouched waters. Should be a blast...

PNG1M
13-05-2008, 11:51 PM
Hey guys,
Check this out...

The All Tackle World Record for Nile Perch is 104.32kg (even though I did see a photo in a Kampala bar, of a 113kg Nile Perch being held up by a fork lift).

I lived in Uganda for 4 years a while back and fished for Nile Perch - mostly by trolling - in Lake Victoria. They are freshwater and look very similar to a barra. They are generally known as a 'cousin' to the barramundi, but they don't taste as good. The Nile Perch flesh is not as firm and is more bland with smaller flakes & it tends to fall apart more easily on the barby. You can buy the fillets at Coles so see for yourself (not bad though as a deep freezer standby - 'specially after a few beers - just roll 'em in some seasoned flour & bob's your uncle) Back to the thread......

Given the prolific growth rates of the impoundment barra I wonder what their maximum growth size would be...with plenty of food and no predators...and not having to swim up river & down river for spawning...and without pressure of commercial netting!? Hmmm....talk about being on a good paddock!

I wonder what the stats are for the average growth rate of a barra. And what is the average barra life span? I know quite a bit of research has been done on wild barra and for barra 'farming'. But I'm not sure how the research stands for impoundment barra. It'd be interesting to see what the forecast 'potential maximum' size would or could be! See below for the IGFA WR Nile Perch:

Species: Perch, Nile
Scientific Name: Lates niloticus
Line Class: All-Tackle
Fish Weight: 230 lbs. 0 oz. - 104.32 kgs
Angler: William Toth
Date: 12/20/2000
AT Approved

matt fraser
13-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info PNG, I'm sure with the way Awoonga and Monduran are going, that all tackle record might start looking shakey in the next year or two. Not to mention Tinaroo as well.

Harro,
Yep, pretty memorable trip that one, catching that fish and meeting Yourself, Jack, Laurie, and John & Jennifer Mondora. Tinaroo was fishing very well at that time.

Its quite amazing to see how the various stocked impoundments have boomed and then buckled under fishing pressure and low water levels. Then the fishing seems to level out to a degree depending on water levels.

Accolades to Alf Hogan, and everyone else involved in stocking, without them we wouldn't be having a discussion about wild v impoundment, 1m v 1.2m, Steptoe v Harro - Just joking Harro ;D

I also remember that footage of you battling that black bass on fly that Steve mentioned. It was like hand to hand combat. Definitely some of the most memorable fishing footage IMHO.

Cheers,

Matt

Magella
14-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I would look into IGFA rules before we all become excited as you used to have a fish weighed on registerd scales and on land, plus clear photos to idenify it, the last so many metres of line including leader so it could be tested etc,etc

Cheers Foxie

Tropicaltrout
14-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Foxie I always thought that too look at BR65's fish at 118cm it was as fat at a house and a few of the 120cm fish being caught pretty hard to say what weighed more?

PNG mate you info is first rate but do you practice catch and release or take one or two home?

Those Nile perch are a massive things it looks a amazing lake that nasser with the ancient ruins along side and the size of it wow.

Nath

NAGG
14-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I would look into IGFA rules before we all become excited as you used to have a fish weighed on registerd scales and on land, plus clear photos to idenify it, the last so many metres of line including leader so it could be tested etc,etc

Cheers Foxie

I think that would still be the case ........ Most certainly you need to be using pre test line ( unless it was the all tackle record) ...... During my days in ANSA .. you used pre test monos ( for line class records)
Certified scales are a must ..... You couldn't just take a photo on a brag mat & submit it
I know it takes time to ratify a world record ( after they check everything ... line , leader length .. incl double etc etc)

Nagg

BR65
14-05-2008, 07:37 PM
1400 plus views, 60 plus replies, good thread Ben

rod harrison
15-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Quick comments re Nile Perch.

Commercial fishing is sending averages plummeting.
Larry Dahlberg of Dahlberg Diver and American Fishing Show fame got a 200 pounder in Lake Nasser last time I was over. Our own 'his worship' Col Roberts got one nearly 180lbs on a Scorpion. Hundred pounders were reasonable common and we barely hooked anything under fifty. Tim Bailey was the only guide operator then on the 400 mile long lake - that's where the Skeeters would be handy. Now there are over 20, plus mile after mile of long lines baited with tilapia and set over spawning grounds. A forty pounder is a real good fish thesedays. Is that a stock crash, or what?

Lake Victoria isn't much better. A number of countries share the world's biggest freshwater lake and are hammering the NP resource with internationally funded commercial operations like pair trawling are going full bore. The baitfish bio mass has collapsed and the (introduced there) Nile perch are cannibalising and stunting. And just think, we almost got them. And would have, but for the southern states giving the importaton a thumbs down. It's counter productive the mention those who were all for the introduction. Suffice to say it didn't and thanks to barra breeding technology being imported from Thailand and tweaked to local conditions by the likes of McKinnon, Garrett and Hogan etc., we've gone down a more sustainable track.

The one place that may still be worth fishing is lake Turkana, in Kenya. Called the Jade Sea with good reason it's a bastard of a place that's both out of the way and dangerous. Alan...can't think of the rest... from South Oz did a yarn on the place years ago in Fishing World. It was also background location for the movie Constant Gardener.

Our lake barra are, pound for pound, stronger, and may soon challange the NP as the world's biggest lake fish that anglers have a chance of catching. Were Lake Argyle stocked...it can hold over 30 Awoonga's...it'd rate as the best lake of all
(and one where you're not going to end up on the wrong side of a fartwa or in a cooking pot). Over there, experiments have been made with the diets of caged barra to try and eliminate the weedy taste. Forktail catfish grow to 30kgs and are sold in Perth as silver cobbler. Those interests may not be in favour of any fish stocking, nor, it seems, anyone else in WA.

Dick Pasfield
15-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Our lake barra are, pound for pound, stronger, and may soon challange the NP as the world's biggest lake fish that anglers have a chance of catching. Were Lake Argyle stocked...it can hold over 30 Awoonga's...it'd rate as the best lake of all
(and one where you're not going to end up on the wrong side of a fartwa or in a cooking pot). Over there, experiments have been made with the diets of caged barra to try and eliminate the weedy taste. Forktail catfish grow to 30kgs and are sold in Perth as silver cobbler. Those interests may not be in favour of any fish stocking, nor, it seems, anyone else in WA.

No commercial barramundi industry operating on Lake Argyle any longer, cobbler fin fish industry has only two operators.

Engineering conceptual design for fishway completed late last year. Budget for capital works included in regional development submission recently put to the state.

My bet is it'll get up

rod harrison
16-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the update, Dick.
They are changes for the better.
Last time I was on Argyle, there wasn't much support for
anything to do with rec fishing.

Dick Pasfield
16-05-2008, 05:36 PM
A number of locals have always thought otherwise, a few have been plugging away at it for about a decade now. A lot of people lined up behind it now that is has grown some legs. (sorry 'bout the off topic)

rod harrison
16-05-2008, 06:18 PM
The problem with a fishway at Lake Argyle is going to be the Ord Barrage at Kununurra. There's no way barra can go upstream of there. In any case, the stretch to the bottom of the Argyle wall (Lake Kununurra) is too cold most of the time for barra to really fire - due to the cold de-oxygenated discharge from Argyle. So even is they build the world's best fishway...how many barra are going to use it?

The coupla million or whatever it will cost would be better spent on fish stocking.

Over and out.

Dick Pasfield
16-05-2008, 07:15 PM
G'day Rod

The fishway will go on the Kununurra Diversion Dam, that will lift fish up and into Lake Kununurra. The design concept is similar to the one they'll put on Tallowa Dam.

WQ is fine O levels are good and temp doesn't get much below 20C. Lake KNX already supports healthy populations of other fish species.

One of the preliminary projects was to get a handle on the dynamics of the barras that aggregate under the KDD after the wet. QDPI came across and did a fair bit of electo fishing to gain the data. The experts tell us they'll go in and up.

As for restocking Fisheries WA translocation regs forbid the movement of fish between catchments, meaning we'd need to get Ord Barra to breed in captivity but restocking was decided against primarily because of the high wet season flows that would require the gates to be opened and a good number of your $ would end up in the lower Ord each year. The recaptures from another preliminary project where tagged fish were released into the Dam gives a good indication of that.

As for getting the fish into Lake Argyle, that'd be the next phase and would use the existing spillway.

borisdog
16-05-2008, 08:18 PM
Funnily enough I ws reading the article on the "Jade Sea" that Harro mentioned today when in the "small reading room". Top read - I'll have a look at who it was when I get home. Pretty old mag, at least 10 years ago probably.

Dick, I reckon if the Barra got put into the bottom dam they'd be a fairly good chance to find their way into Argyle via Spillway Creek eventually. I can remember it running very high a few times and , if anything, actually looked like it was a bit more "navigable" when it got higher. Can't remember if there were any big falls to stop them. I went rafting down it a couple of times but not the full length.

Darryl

Dick Pasfield
16-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Just a modification the the spillway structure itself to make it a bit more fish friendly Darryl

borisdog
16-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Dick,
I remember being right at the cut one day and thinking, this is going to overflow soon. And so it did - got some good photos too. Probably 91, maybe 92.

rod harrison
17-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Dick: thanks for the update. All good news, eh.
I've caught sooties from a great height at the Spillway cut. has the lake ever been high enough for run to occur in any direction? Far as I know it's never filled.

Borisdog: Keep us posted re Alan...
He used to fish the Ord a big with Greg Harmon and also guided. I fish a bit with his brother Rick out on the Drysdale but for the life of me can't recall the surname. Grrrrrrr, killed too many braincells, mate. Something I drank...I think.
Al convinced me to try Turkana alias the Jade Sea during Africa travels.
Guess that's the trivia for the day.

Dick Pasfield
17-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Darryl, Rod

Some pics of the electro fishing work done by QDPI and our mob. Chucked in a pic of a $1.08 fish (just to keep on topic) that got zapped and kitted out with a tag and some dye.

A couple of spillway, one with the flow being 8 metres over the plug in Mar 2002, that was the highest the lake has been. Other pic was this year or last when it went over by only a half metre.

I've lived in KNX since 90 and it goes over often then not, even since they lifted the level by 6 metres in the mid nineties.

PNG1M
17-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Yep, PNG1M is definately a catch & releaser apart from the occasional specimen that is destined for the hotplate.

When the PNG fishing club I'm in (Star Mountains Sports Fishing Club) started to fish the SUKI area of the Fly River in 2005 the locals just couldn't understand why we were catching the fish and then letting them go back into the water. They were mind-boggled at first until we explained that the fish were still there, and maybe we could catch them again some day.

Of course, to the locals fish are FOOD for the family. They rarely catch large fish themselves as they don't have the means. They are usually content to catch the small ones (whatever bites) on light handlines. They don't have access to decent fishing tackle & lures etc so when they see us with all our flash gear, hauling in the big-uns of course they want us to give the fish to them.

In the early part we used to hand a few over so they could feed their families and to establish some 'good-will' but after a while our perseverence with 'catch & release' paid off. Now they generally accept the practice as a positive thing. As the people are trying to build up a tourism project based on bird-watching & fishing it in their best interests to keep the fish stock up high so that the place doesn't end up 'fished out'.

Last year our fishing club started a program involved with tagging Black Bass. So far the club has tagged around 70+ fish. One was re-caught after six months and it had grown 6cm in length.

Our club policy is to release 100% of the black bass that are caught. In the early days we used to keep a few of them too for the barby, but not any more.

If the barra happen to be on, we usually keep a couple for the hotplate and give a fish or two to the driver & deckie (for their family's dinner), but the majority of barra are returned to the water.

In the early days of fishing this area (ie 2005/06) the guys that did catch their first ever metery - including myself - kept the fish. But now, as a club we have imposed size restrictions on the barra we are allowed to keep. Thus the larger ones will always be released. The Suki area is a natural wetlands region and it is an amazing place - complete with herds of wild (ferel) deer splashing around the place.

When I head up there for a trip in late July I'll be accessing some new areas; very remote and previously unfished with lures. So hopefully there'll be plenty of catch & release happening with a spot or two of evening char grill.

PNG1M
17-05-2008, 10:15 PM
If you happen to be in East Africa, Uganda and are prepared to dodge the LRA bullets (Lords Resistance Army) there are fishing permits available to fish the Nile River up at Murchison Falls National Park.

That's where the Nile River narrows and squeezes through a small gorge opening a few metres wide, known as Murchison Falls. I've been there but didn't brave the fishing option. The water looks so wild and filled with fishing potential.

The LRA rebels wouldn't be your only obstacle though as the place is teaming with hippos & crocodiles and I saw six lions patrolling the shoreline - not to mention the occasional marauding bull elephant. But, if you are an adventurer and want to fish a seldom fished before African hot spot - try there!

These blokes took a chance at it - check out the Nile Perch (or click the link to see the pic)!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:QviY31pQV20J:www.sea-angling-staithes.co.uk/images/51kilo_Nile_Perch_caught_at_Murchison_Falls.JPG
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:QviY31pQV20J:www.sea-angling-staithes.co.uk/images/51kilo_Nile_Perch_caught_at_Murchison_Falls.JPG (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sea-angling-staithes.co.uk/images/51kilo_Nile_Perch_caught_at_Murchison_Falls.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.sea-angling-staithes.co.uk/ams/interestingphotographs.html&h=2112&w=2816&sz=448&tbnid=QviY31pQV20J:&tbnh=113&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmurchison%2Bfalls&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=3)
http://www.galenfrysinger.com/africa/murchison02.jpg

BR65
18-05-2008, 09:10 AM
2 good posts PNG1, the July trip sounds awesome, one I have promised myself I will do, the other is a trip on Nomad into the coral sea.
Looking forward to some pics and a report on your trip
cheers
brian

rod harrison
18-05-2008, 03:38 PM
It's worth remembering that Vic McCristal fished the Suki region of the Fly river back in the 1960s. He was the first to document the presence of the black bass.

There are no spottails along the Gulf of Papua rivers. They only come in east of Mullens Harbour where the barra taper off. During trips into the Aramia and Bamu, which drain off the same swamp complex and the Fly system, we caught bass, barra, toga and sooty grunter in the same session. On one trip there were stacks a dead fishwe figured were killed by pollution from the OK Tedi mine. The cleanup bill is now bigger than the remaining deposits.

And over on the Kikori, bigger and tougher water, I fluked a 6 pound jungle perch while filming a commercial on ABU/Garcia spin reels reels for American TV. It was useless, they wanted a bass. Ten or so reels later. they got one.

Black and spot-tail were identified by Dr. John Paxton, curator of fish at the Sydney museum, as freshwater members of the worldwide snapper family (no relation to our red nobby of recent soft plastics fame) after I delivered specimens to him circa 1970s.

PNG1M
19-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info Rod,
Interesting to hear that the Suki area was fished in the 60's.
20kms north of Suki up the Fly there's a creek & wetlands known as Kwima (makes Suki look like a metropolis). Currently 4 of the IGFA WR black bass have been caught at Kwima.

A bit further up the Fly past Kwima there are more small creeks and a couple of large semi-landlocked lagoons that used to be bends in the river. We'll be testing those out at some point...and the adrenelin is starting to tingle just thinking about it.

Between my Jap version CT 400 Calcutta on the Loomis; my TE Conquest 300 on the Egrell and my new Curado DSV 300 on the t-curve all spooled up with YGK Ultra x8 it should be a matter of just 'reel'em 'n in'.... I won't dwell on my tried & tested Blacksheep 300 or my Penn 965 as my mates'll be using them.

And here I am complaining to my wife that she spends too much when she goes out shopping...!!? How many other blokes have smuggled their recent tackle aquisitions into the house or shed while the other half is otherwise occupied?

Then we quickly stash it with the rest of our stuff; strategically dispose of the packaging (if we didn't already do it on the way home) and when she sees you with the gear later on - we pretend we've had it for ages...hmm, been there done that?? (Then the temporary guilt trip hits when you get a mental flash of your remaining bank balance)....shiiiiish!

rod harrison
19-05-2008, 03:15 AM
At the height of the pax australia in PNG a lot of the kiaps fished. Steamships in Morseby were the ABU agents and they imported everything, I mean everything. So state of the art tackle - that of the day, anyway - was easy to secure. The hi-lo and killer (a run made under contract by Pradco were the ones) were the gun lures.) There's not a lot of water along the gulf that hasn't seen a lure at some time or other.
Anyone still able to fish up there, is very, very fortunate.
Wish I was.

McCristal seems to be forgotten in today's "look at me"
style of fishing media. He was doing bream on lures, and
Nic Creme stuff (he invented the soft plastic) before a lot of todays soft handed fancy shirts were a backlash in their old man's ball bag.

BR65
19-05-2008, 07:47 AM
At the height of the pax australia in PNG a lot of the kiaps fished. Steamships in Morseby were the ABU agents and they imported everything, I mean everything. So state of the art tackle - that of the day, anyway - was easy to secure. The hi-lo and killer (a run made under contract by Pradco were the ones) were the gun lures.) There's not a lot of water along the gulf that hasn't seen a lure at some time or other.
Anyone still able to fish up there, is very, very fortunate.
Wish I was.

McCristal seems to be forgotten in today's "look at me"
style of fishing media. He was doing bream on lures, and
Nic Creme stuff (he invented the soft plastic) before a lot of todays soft handed fancy shirts were a backlash in their old man's ball bag.

just picked myself up off the ground after laughing so hard at the "backlash in their....." line, thas gold.;D

NAGG
19-05-2008, 07:55 AM
just picked myself up off the ground after laughing so hard at the "backlash in their....." line, thas gold.;D

You just have to love that Harro style;D

Whitto
19-05-2008, 04:58 PM
You just have to love that Harro style;D

Never let it be said that Harro has not got a wonderful command of the Queens English........Priceless.......Cheers Whitto;D

Steve B
19-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Tell us how you REALLY feel Harro;D;D;D

Love the backlash in the ball bag!!
I'd better go moisturise hands and iron my shirt...going fishing tommorrow.;);D

Got get me a cover shot;D

Steve

PS I am actually hanging S$%t on myself and the current fishing era in general. I agree with you. Pioneers are sometimes forgotten...or there legacy is not passed on for one reason or another..so thanks Rod for the fishing history lessons. For a relative young bloke, this info is much appreciated and great to learn.

borisdog
21-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Harro and others.

The article on Nile Perch mentioned above was from Andrew Blake, published in July '89 edition of Modern Fishing entitled "Jade Sea Giants".

It's a great read. For interest sake and those that remember that edition it's got a series of 6 photo's in it of a MASSIVE giant bluefin Tuna of 8 - 900 lbs trying to eat a tailor.

Dick , the penny drops with what you're talking about re spillway - They lifted it huh?

Cheers, Darryl

the_matrix
22-05-2008, 06:59 PM
It's a great read. For interest sake and those that remember that edition it's got a series of 6 photo's in it of a MASSIVE giant bluefin Tuna of 8 - 900 lbs trying to eat a tailor.
Cheers, Darryl
Darryl,
Yep remember that article vividly.
That sequence shot you mention is still the best of its type I have ever seen. I remember how much I used to stare at that sequence, putting myself on that boat and wondering how I would have reacted to it.
That "thing" was a bloody behemoth, an awesome fish in its wild environment chasing a snack with such ferocity, god it got my brain ticking!
Fishing for Yellowfin on the South Coast of NSW was never the same after that.
Thanks for reminding me.
Cheers
Jas

Brian Delandre
13-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to post a picture of a 125cm Barra caught in Peter Faust at Proserpine by myself and mate Victor Whitfield on 25-10-08

Brian Delandre

Peter4
13-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Can anyone explain to me how to post a picture of a 125cm Barra caught in Peter Faust at Proserpine by myself and mate Victor Whitfield on 25-10-08

Brian Delandre

Brian,

Write your story using the Go Advanced mode, scroll down and click 'manage attachments'. Then click on 'browse' and select the pic from wherever you store it in your computer. Click on the piccy. Then click on 'upload'.

Repeat process for more pics then either 'preview post' to make sure it's OK or 'submit reply' to finish.......

2manylures
13-11-2008, 10:07 PM
My only benchmark is very simple. That is to catch & release fish on every outing.

With that comes fish of all sizes, no-one can catch bigger fish on every trip.

Consistantly catching is much harder than catching the elusive monster.

I had my 1st failure in 16yrs just recently which devastated me yet I bounced back with a cod just shy of a metre.

I find this benchmark much more of a challenge than bettering every fish.

Raising the bar is fine but if some southern impoundments can be used as a guide then the longer they're stocked & good fish are being caught regularly then many more of the larger specimens will be extracted & kept by anglers seeking physical proof/glory.

The fish will then inevitably get smaller on average for those consistantly fishing these impoundments.

Impoundment haydays don't last forever.

Examples would be Lake Pedder, Lake Purrumbete, Lake Bullen Merri & Dartmouth Dam just to name a few. Gone are the days of 20Lb plus Trout being caught regularly in these & like impoundments.

Lake Mulwala is virtually peaking at present yet angler pressure & the taking of larger specimens which is inevitable will certainly put a stop to the trophy fish on a consistant basis.

The threat isn't the hard core angler or sportsfisherman but the once or twice a yr fisho who keeps & kills everything he catches. These people catch their fair share of trophies others only dream of.

Colo77
13-11-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't mean to start any rumours but recently, 140cm barra at Kinchant.:o I have no physical proof but "apparently" a work mate of the dad in laws showed him a pic of a 140cm barra he caught there about a month back now (last full moonish). All hearsay at the moment.The in law says he'll hook me up with this guy, sweet! Hopefully I can get a copy of this alleged pic to post (or post my own pic).

The guy claims to have boated 16 fish for the night, only 6 less than 100cm, the largest 140cm all on the troll, dropped 10 fish. The night started very quiet & the action kicked in about 1am.

Prior to this, the largest barra I'd heard of was a 130cm salty in the causeway at Yeppoon. What's another 100mm for an overfed, underexercised, fat North Qld dam barra.8-)

Ihavn't even joined the metre club personally but I don't think 120cm is unreasonable for a new bench mark for impoundment barra, especially if there are more of these "lochness monsters" around.

Colo

Brian Delandre
22-12-2008, 10:10 PM
I still want to know how to post a pic of a 125cm Barra caught by myself and Victor Whitfield from Gunna Go Caravan Park in Proserpine on our first outing to Peter Faust Dam in November

Dick Pasfield
23-12-2008, 02:40 PM
Brian

Hit 'post reply'

'Go Advanced'

scroll down to below the message window to 'Attach Files' and click 'Manage Attachments'

Click 'Browse'

from there search through to where you keep your pics, select the one you want to show and press 'Open' in the 'File Upload' window

It should then revert to the 'Manage Attachments' window, all that remains is to press 'upload' and job is done.

Please note that at the bottom of the 'Manage Attachments' window it tells you the maximum length and width of a pic is 600 and the file size must be under 100kb.

If you need to work out how to re size to those dimensions let us know.

eotbmg
23-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Hey Dick
Lovely photo that one.
Hy heart lays somewhere in the Kimberlies. Spent about 8 months there in 05. The wifey had to drag me out cos the big dollar was looming short.
Every time i see one of your posts, i get really excited as it brings back fantastic times and memories, so a BIG thankyou, please keep the pics and stories coming.!!!!
Where abouts are you based???
Merry Christmas mate
Cheers
Ben

Dick Pasfield
24-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Where abouts are you based??

Kununurra;D