PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on spearfishing

scoocer101
01-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey all ive read some posts here on ausfish on spearfishing and hav found that most people are dead set against it. I was just wondering why that is? I lov my fishng and atm im getting into a lil bit of spearfishing and its not as easy as every1 says it is. I no there are some idiots out there that make it bad for the rest of us that dont do the right thing taking more then they need but this shouldnt apply for the rest of us.
Ive read cases on here where u might be fishing and some spearos pull up near u and start spearing and i admit thats wrong but ive had it that i was spearing off the rocks and some fishermen start fishing directally infront of where i was. I dont no whos entitled to stay but i didnt want to cause trouble so i packed up and moved 100m further down the beach.

Whats your opinion on this?

jtpython
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Mate never worries me i have a lot of mates that do it and find nothing wrong with it as i do it myself at times but not in deep water as i am scared terribly of sharks
JT

coucho
01-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I personally love sperfishing its a totally awesome sport i never spear near fishos although I have had people come and fish near where I am spearing and get stroopy with me when I was there first but there is just no pleasing some people. If you enjoy it don't worry about what anyone else thinks and just continue to enjoy it.

geoff72
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
i dont find anything wrong with but there are some bad bad apples out there that do give spearfishos a bad name.i know of one spot where people were fishing,spearfishos arrived and speared 4-5 very large jacks in the area they were fishnig,that gets on my nerve hearing that but aslong as everyone can do there own thing and not ruin it for everyone else,well good luck to you all,happy spearing.

_Dan_
01-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Warning im on my soapbox....

I think the majority may do the right thing and some of them are a disgrace especially in the past. Why was it band along rock walls in QLD and NSW?

Spearfishing gropers for example which are curious and usually come up to them when they are swimming around, so they try and wipe them out??

Spearfishing on blue gropers was banned 30 years ago and there population has still not recovered, and the spearos will never be let loose on them again?? What does this say about the majority... seeking easy prey

Yes i do understand that some fisherman plundered the seas, but IMO nothing anywhere near that level and if it was bought under control when it was, and that is one species of fish.

PS these are my thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

mattooty
02-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Personally i believe if we are looking at this from an environmental point of view then
spearfishing is actually leaps and bounds ahead of line fishing. Being able to actively target exactly which fish to take, selectively allowing several fish to pass before taking the shot on one desired fish. When compared to line fishing, we cannot actively target a specific fish from a school, which means that even though we release undersize and unwanted fish, there will never be a 100% survival rate.
We might still get that desired fish, but in the process have most likely negatively impacted the populations.

nigelr
02-05-2008, 09:17 AM
Scoocer 101, don't be disheartened mate.
In regards to spearfishing, I think you are making a broad generalisation by saying "most people are dead set against it". In my time on here, and as both a spearo and linefisher myself, I've formed the opinion most linefishers are very easygoing about spearos, as long as common sense and respect prevails.
Certainly there are bad apples in every bunch as far as behaviour goes, whether they be spearos or linefishers.
To me personally, spearfishing just for the 'sport' of trophy hunting is as reprehensible as its' counterpart in line fishing, or shooting. All three are very popular pursuits however, and totally legal, I'm quite happy to accept that my opinion is perhaps out of touch.
As a means to gather a fed however, the fact that spearfishing is target specific does, as Mattooty suggests, puts it ahead of linefishing in terms of sustainability.
Regarding the scenario you described, IMHO good on you for doing the right thing and showing both maturity and leadership by avoiding a confrontation.
I do think most people would agree, 'first in best dressed', irrespective of whether one is linefishing or spearfishing.
However, common sense, decency and ability to respect others are unfortunately lacking from the personal make-up of some people!
Cheers and enjoy your spearing, good on you for being concerned to limit your bag, rather than bag your limit!

Scott nthQld
02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I love spearfishing, I used to be right into it off the Shellharbour and Wollongong headlands. Once I moved up here though, I havn't been able to muster the balls to jump in with all the crocs, tiger sharks, and stingers, jusst to name a few. I will definately give it another go soon though.

Jackinthebox
02-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I didn't used to think much of spearos as most of the guys i had come into contact with were young blokes who just wanted to shoot stuff & didn't give a rats about anyone. I also watched the shark net contractor & his mate pull up next to where I was fishing one day and proceed to spear a bunch of big jacks one after the other. Now i don't mind keeping the odd jack for dinner but watching this did make me cringe a bit.

In recent years, I have watched some of the spearo vids and it is very selective and not as easy as everyone thinks. These guys were very responsible and pushing the sustainable/selective line.

However, many spearos also think that fishing is easy as a few have said to me that they can't understand why we can be in the same spot as them and we get nothing while they get heaps.

Plus, you've got to factor in the dangers such as sharks, shallow water blackout and a few other possibilities and it will always be a sport for the young, fit & adventurous.

If we get some artificial reefs built for the fishos, it'd be good if the spearos got involved and had a reef or two just for themselves to separate everyone out a bit.

Cheers,
Mick

P.S - just like fishing, it's the rank outsiders or once in a blue moon grubs who see it as an excuse to get pissed & have a line in the water while throwing rubbish everywhere, who aren't really serious about the sport that cause problems because they don't appreciate the rules of etiquette or impacts they have.

Jetskiers, now there's another story - don't get me started on the incident yesterday! Another one to add to the collection of di^khead encounters.

mattooty
02-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I think that what ius difficult about conflicting parties of fishermen and spearo's is that alot of the time visibility is often quite hard. I know that when I'm diving or snorkelling (i've only done a very limited amount of spearing and nothing of the calibre that we sometimes see on youtube video's) that it is really hard to someone back on shore, eg fishing. And the reverse is the same, from the shore, a spearo only looks like an annoying snorkeller swimming through prime fishing spots! It is really quite easy to see how arguments start with this, unfortunately its just a fact of life.

TimiBoy
02-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Spearos are, on the whole, fine, just mad. It's live baiting sharks, without a hook! :o

Had one on my sounder without knowing he was there the other day! Man, I thought I was about to catch the BIG ONE!

See my signature.

BARRAkid
02-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I love to spearfish BUT because of the water clarity i hardly ever go.
Out off about 100 fishing trips this summer i went spearing about 10 times.
And the next few weeks will be the last times i go because it will be getting a bit cold for me.
I target what i want and leave the rest off the fish swimming ;)

mono
02-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Curiously, why have all these Marine Parks been set up in NSW the past few years?

Why have we been stopped from fishing in these areas?
To protect the bloody Grey Nurse Shark!
Why are they now endandered?

SPEARFISHING for GNS was all the rage 20-30 years ago.

And yes before anyone asks, I do know people personally who did it and have seen their photos of dozens of them dead on the beach. Back then it was called sport and they were of the impression that all sharks were dangerous, so get rid of them!
Fair enough I suppose back then, BUT I'm getting sick of the authorities blaming anglers for their demise.

Spearfishing- not for me, sorry.

Food for thought!

Cheers

coucho
02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
mono blame the spearo's all you like but a fair amount of those greynurse sharks went make shark fin soup in japan and it wasn't the ones the spearo's knocked over. I do agree though that it was senceless slaughter but as you say those days are gone.
Oh and I have a very nice set of grey nurse jaws from 1970's curtiousy of the one of the pro fishers who used to do it. Bottom line is anything much deeper then 60 feet and its out of nearly all spearo's range.

Lucky_Phill
02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Congratulations to all that have replied.

This thread is 13 posts long and no ' biffo ". Simply opinions and positive feedback.

Keep up the work work people.

Cheers Phill

nigelr
02-05-2008, 03:21 PM
With respect Mono, spearos were the first to call on the NSW Fisheries for protection of the Blue Groper. Concern about the ease with which these fish could be taken on the spear led to the NSW Govt introducing the first ban on the taking of Blue Groper in 1969. This ban has remained and is still current today.
Having said that, I too am aware of the 'macho' slaughter of sharks, thankfully spearfishing and indeed linefishing have both moved forward very considerably since then.
As for GNS, I believe spearos are calling Bull$#tt to the supposed low numbers,
from vague (sorry) memory I believe there has been a fair bit of recent anecdotal evidence given by spearo peak bodies to this effect.
But hey, MPs are a whole 'nother can of (political) worms.::)
Cheers.

scoocer101
02-05-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the replies and positive feedback. I guess spearfishing just isnt for some people. I see both sides point of view but i do agree its more sustainable spearfishing if u just spear one or two trophy fish but sadly some silly people dont take that into account much and end up spearing way to many fish (more then they need). One way i think about it is netters, longliners and etc would probaly do more damage to the fish and marine life population then fishing and spearfishing put togther.

thanks for your responses keep em coming.

boney-leg
02-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeh I do both and haven't had any problems with people. I had some mates that went trolling in a spot where I was trying to spear mackerel once. I remember watching this gar swimming past my nose and wondering what would have happened if someone decided to set the hooks :) It also happened at flat rock (when you could fish there) but that was a little scarier. We were using the tinnie as a float and drift diving at day break. I could hear these other boats turn up to start trolling but couldn't see them over the swells. Was really hoping they saw the flag flying on the tinnie!!

All sports have their yahoos and I guess it doesn't matter if they spear or angle. There will always be those that take more than necessary or just don't consider others in general.

Dirtysanchez
02-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I love it, and have fond memories of chasing fish around NSW central coast beaches, Oh, and being chased by a hungry grey suit once (eek!)

Actually I saw a huge amount of fish on the gold coast recently, and nothing I could do would tempt them onto the line.. each time I went out there snorkelling I could almost touch them, but could I catch one ? nope.. :(

I would have loved to have a small hand spear, I would have just nabbed one for dinner, and some bragging rights.. but for now, my fishing reputation is as always, in tatters :(

_Dan_
02-05-2008, 08:01 PM
With respect Mono, spearos were the first to call on the NSW Fisheries for protection of the Blue Groper. Concern about the ease with which these fish could be taken on the spear led to the NSW Govt introducing the first ban on the taking of Blue Groper in 1969. This ban has remained and is still current today.

Im sorry i dont believe that is the truth, but what i have read ( australian and new zealand fishing 1973) contradicts this. The motion was imposed by the Amateur Fisherman's Advisory Council, by Chief Secretary Mr Willis in 1969. And this ban included a five year ban by ALL FISHERMAN line and all, because of the damage which was done and they were critically rare.

Mono, i here you mate, two words. Vick Hislop he was responsible for a god dam lot of grey nurse sharks with his propaganda. And he opened a shark museum, what a peice of whatever that guy is....

Cheers

mono
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Really good forum fellas.
I'm not saying to bar spearfishing because I still have mates who are really responsible spearos and love their fishing.
Its just I've had my share of confrontations with the yobbo element, particularly one group in camo wetsuits from the Goldie who must eat A LOT of fish (approx 35 wahoo in three days! Approx 525 kilos @15 kilo each fish, thats being conservative, there were some up to 30kg!) and have no reguard for other boats-anglers.
As you can probably tell I am not a big fan of spearos but each to their own and if we all stick to the rules, use some common sence and eticate we can all get along just fine.

Cheers

disorderly
02-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I Vick Hislop he was responsible for a god dam lot of grey nurse sharks with his propaganda. And he opened a shark museum, what a peice of whatever that guy is....

Cheers

I think you are mistaken,Dan...Hislop killed plenty of sharks...but the ones he targeted and displays in his museum's are the maneaters..not the harmless species.

Scott

mono
02-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Scott I think Dan means all the propaganda and scare tactics Hislop used to promote his bussiness! Encouraging people to target them ect.

Cheers

disorderly
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Scott I think Dan means all the propaganda and scare tactics Hislop used to promote his bussiness! Encouraging people to target them ect.

Cheers

Uh OK mate...got it now..http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif.
I guess we can lump Steven Spielberg in here as well...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Scott

boney-leg
02-05-2008, 09:20 PM
the yobbo element ... who must eat A LOT of fish (approx 35 wahoo in three days! Approx 525 kilos @15 kilo each fish, thats being conservative, there were some up to 30kg!) and have no reguard for other boats-anglers.

Unfortunately that element aren't just confined to spearfishing. I watch plenty of line men hit the mackerel the same way in my neck of the woods:furious2:

_Dan_
02-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Scott, mono has it. I meant the hysteria caused lead to a target on these species, included with all other sharks as well.

I guess my point is, i have never read an article were recreational line fishos were responsible for the direct decline of a species, like spearos have in the past. I guess it all boils down to me fishing with my son and hes son if i am lucky, like i did with dad and my grandad.

Maybe i am too passionate about the cause.

Cheers

Dan

mattooty
03-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I guess my point is, i have never read an article were recreational line fishos were responsible for the direct decline of a species, like spearos have in the past.

Unfortunately Line fishermen can be directly responsible for such a large decline in fish stocks that its almost on the verge of impossible to specify a single species that was decimated as compared to another. Spearo's were largely blamed for the near demise of both blue groper and GNS but line fishers are solely responsible for a larger broad scaled decimation of fish stocks.
But as previously said, none of this is nearly comparable to the effects of certain unsustainable commercial activities. Netting; pocket netting, gill netting, trawling, trapping and longlining will long be one of the worst threats to our fish stocks. The absolute devastation caused by prawn trawlers in the rivers has to be seen to be believed. Its honestly heart breaking stuff.
Different strokes for different folks, some spear, some fish, some do both. It all comes down to the individual as to how they fish and what their attitudes towards what fish they catch are. I believe that no one style of fishing can be tarred and feathered purely by an experience we have had with someone who fishes this way. There will always be a scumbag element in any style of fishing, there will always be the fishermen/women, spearo's, who take that 35 wahoo in 3 days. If they could catch it from a boat, chances are these same people would have kept them anyway.

Cobia Kid
04-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Why have we been stopped from fishing in these areas?
To protect the bloody Grey Nurse Shark!
Why are they now endandered?

SPEARFISHING for GNS was all the rage 20-30 years ago.

And yes before anyone asks, I do know people personally who did it and have seen their photos of dozens of them dead on the beach. Back then it was called sport and they were of the impression that all sharks were dangerous, so get rid of them

Still, you wouldnt get me spearing any shark,
THATS CRAZY!

banshee
04-05-2008, 09:22 AM
Still, you wouldnt get me spearing any shark,
THATS CRAZY!

What needs to be understood CB is that these 'fishermen/fisherwomen' used powerheads,which were a spear that housed a chamber on the end carrying a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge,the method was basicly swim down hit a number around the head and watch them spiral off quivering with nerves then go tailrope them and drag them to the surface for the obilgatory photo session,the photo session was then followed by trophy taking and the dumping of the remains.
As for spearfishing in genneral today,I don't know anyone who does it,I have never tried it,but I don't like it.

nigelr
04-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Cobia, many of the sharks were taken with 'powerheads' ie a spear with a live round of rifle ammunition on the end, which detonated when it hit the shark.
No contest at all really, especially against the docile GNS.
Great to see the 'macho' mentality has eased to a large extent, and powerheads are illegal in NSW and have been for some time, as far as I know.
Organised spearfishing has cleaned it's act up considerably over the years, thankfully. It had a very poor image in the not too distant past, but the peak bodies have worked hard to reverse this.
It is probably worth mentioning that in NSW at least, spearfishers are required to hold the same licence as a line fisher, and are bound by the same rules.
They are specifically excluded from taking blue wrasse (groper).
Cheers.
PS - sorry banshee, you just pipped me to the post with your reply!

disorderly
04-05-2008, 09:58 AM
What needs to be understood CB is that these 'fishermen/fisherwomen' used powerheads,which were a spear that housed a chamber on the end carrying a 12 gauge shotgun cartridge,the method was basicly swim down hit a number around the head and watch them spiral off quivering with nerves then go tailrope them and drag them to the surface for the obilgatory photo session,the photo session was then followed by trophy taking and the dumping of the remains.

Well described ,banshee.
I remember reading an interveiw by Ron and Valerie Taylor and when asked about the early days of powerheads and Grey Nurse Shark's, Ron replied...."Unfortunately in the 1950's and 60's we killed a "few" GNS because we thought they were dangerous..."
I think a 'FEW" might be an understatement.
I was under the impression that they and there ilk actually decimated colonies of them in places like Seal Rocks on the mid north coast of NSW.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif

Anybody who has actually dived with them(GNS) will be well aware of what a placid natured animal they and just how easy they are to approach and what a piss easy target they would be to a spearfisherman armed with a powerhead....
Ron and Valerie were obviously slow learner'shttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/tongue.gif.

Scott

Scott

NAGG
04-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Having done a little in years gone by (not that well!) I'm neither for it or against it ...... specially if it is done with some common sense
Without a doubt they have a bad rap due to some species that were targeted in the name of sport ( particularly GNS , groper , wrasse etc) .... most of which were easy targets .... & of course lead to the decline of those species in certain areas.

It seems to me that some of the regulations that govern their sport .... have lead to the decline in the spearfishoes::) ..... banning the activity in bays , rockwalls etc

The one point that stands true .... is that it is very much TARGET orientated ...... you choose to kill a Target or not! ...... There is no C&R !

Then, I hope that their target is taken for the table!

Nagg

Bloody Grinner
04-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Plus, you've got to factor in the dangers such as sharks, shallow water blackout and a few other possibilities and it will always be a sport for the young, fit & adventurous.

very good read this thread. it helped me understand a lot about the past and present of spearing.

I don't know what "shallow water blackout" means. Can anyone explain this please?

cheers,
BG

boney-leg
04-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Shallow water black out occurs when divers hyperventilate to get depth in their dives or in effect stay down for longer. The urge to breath is lessened by hyperventilating.

Nagg - as you say ... there are those that have no regard for laws and others. The vast majority of spearos do target fish to take home - not many of us want to bring the grey suits in for no reason. I accept that in the bad old days people like Ben Crop and Rod Taylor were killing sharks before picking up their cameras and now championing them - those days have gone. Game fisherman were just as bad in their day too - killing their catches so they could be weighed and photographed. No one would like me to label all line fisherman after Vic Hislop or the tuna boys down south ;) In fact pro mackerel fisherman don't mind knocking off sharks still. There is a lot of conjecture as to how well SOME fish survive catch and release especially when hooks end up ripping gills or foul hooking. Because spearos target fish there is no by catch and it is environmentally friendly if you accept that they don't use bait. If I see a coral trout I know whether it is legal size and whether I should take the shot. Don't judge us all on the bad deeds of the minority.

GazzaB
04-05-2008, 11:53 PM
i dont think its bad, i would even love to give it a go, its like anything the dicks fu@# things up for everyone else! i've some boat fishos that behave fare worse than some spearos!

spelchek
05-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Shallow water black out occurs when divers hyperventilate to get depth in their dives or in effect stay down for longer. The urge to breath is lessened by hyperventilating.

Just FYI - you don't need to hyperventilate previous to submersing to suffer form shallow water blackout.

MTAQ/BTAQ
05-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Shallow Water Blackout has a lot to do with the "breathing reflex" - that is, while you are sound asleep at night your nervous system is "instructing" the brain/lungs to breathe for you based on the percentage of carbon dioxide in the lungs (which is returned to the lungs via the blood stream).

Now when you over exert your self on a deep dive (trying to get that fish which is deep) or try to outdistance your mate underwater in a shallow swimming pool ( so warn your kids about this one) - you are using up great amounts of oxygen which are being transported to the body and brain via the bloodstream. Now that oxygen just does not taper out but ends with a full stop without any warning and you become unconscious.

Now humans do not breathe water very well - so the breathing reflex now comes into play, the brain tells the lungs that you have gone to "sleep" (really you are unconscious due to "shallow water blackout" - no problem if this happens on land because we are in an ocean of air)) then based on the percentage of carbon dioxide in your lungs (remember you heart is still pumping and sending carbon dioxide back to the lungs) you then start to breathe but you are breathing water and the end result is that you drown.

A couple of years ago 2 spearos off Noosa succumbed to SWB and they found their bodies 2 days later washed up near Double Island Point.

boney-leg
06-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Now when you over exert your self on a deep dive (trying to get that fish which is deep) or try to outdistance your mate underwater in a shallow swimming pool ( so warn your kids about this one) - you are using up great amounts of oxygen which are being transported to the body and brain via the bloodstream. Now that oxygen just does not taper out but ends with a full stop without any warning and you become unconscious.

You're right that it has to do with the level of co2 that triggers the breathing mechanism but it is a balance between o2 & co2 that triggers it. If a diver breathes normally before going down or in the pool as you mention above then there isn't a problem. What usually happens though is people nearly always try to take a few quick deep (not normal) breathes to increase oxygen intake. They are instead causing low blood carbon dioxide levels (hypocapnia) and thus the reflex is subdued. You are always best just to relax when diving but even after years of experience - if I know I'm going deep I automatically change my breathing style which isn't the best idea :-/

Heath
06-05-2008, 10:27 AM
As long as the Spearos stay away form me when I'm fishing at anchor and annoy Willo I don't really give a rats about em' ;D

Seriously, some of them should do a course in etiquette. They come way to close to boats already fishing a location more often than not.

BeachBabe13
06-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Hey all ive read some posts here on ausfish on spearfishing and hav found that most people are dead set against it. I was just wondering why that is? I lov my fishng and atm im getting into a lil bit of spearfishing and its not as easy as every1 says it is. I no there are some idiots out there that make it bad for the rest of us that dont do the right thing taking more then they need but this shouldnt apply for the rest of us.
Ive read cases on here where u might be fishing and some spearos pull up near u and start spearing and i admit thats wrong but ive had it that i was spearing off the rocks and some fishermen start fishing directally infront of where i was. I dont no whos entitled to stay but i didnt want to cause trouble so i packed up and moved 100m further down the beach.

Whats your opinion on this?

I used to spear fish alot in my Teens..And last year got a new spear but I havnt had the chance to test it out yet.. I havnt been for a long while:o ..So the deep water does worry me a bit, as here we have sighted the ol great whites around coming in after the snappper..So IMO do the right thing..

LeeannP
06-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Watching spear fishos in action on the inside of Fraser Island about 2 years ago was disgusting. There were three spearing and one person on the boat. The guys spearing would come up with their fish, hand the spear to the guy on the boat who proceeded to use the rail of the boat to clear the spear of the fish. Where did the speared fish go? Back in the water... dead. Incredibly intelligent stuff.

Metalstorm
06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
A mate and I were spear fishing off the rocks up the north coast a couple of years ago, anyway we were swiming along the surface, I looked down and behind me and there was this 3 1/2 4 ft Bull shark following, I reached out grabed my mate and by the time he saw what was happening I already had speared it just behind its head (hang on) I was trying to keep the spear in (we use hand spears not guns) by trying to hold the shark against the bottom (about 3m of water) just about to run out of breath when my mate hit it in the gills took about 5minutes. That was a good rush.

Heath
21-04-2009, 09:10 AM
no idea what happened here

kokomo
21-04-2009, 09:44 AM
The most important point is dont confuse the actions of the past spearo's with the current spearo's.

Excluding the minority of F$$$ Heads like there are in any activity

All the spearo's i know preach sustainability and most of the time go spearing to enjoy diving/underwater photography sight seeing etc etc....

Taking fish is often not the goal of the day for me.

The guys that fish off Brisbane would not believe what the botton looks like. the 7's, Shallow Tempest, hutchies, smith's etc etc... Is AWESEOME...

bondy99
21-04-2009, 09:53 AM
I too have been a spearo for a few years and played underwater hockey or octopush , not a spectator sport unless your in canberra as there are glass port holes at the side of the swimming pools for spectators to watch.

Australia has an international team but not widely known or publicised except to those in the sport.

Anyway..to the topic. I choose which fish I want by being selective and also weary about noahs being about, hence an Alpha flag and a long line to which the fish are theaded onto and not on me.

There has been spearos in the past that have been a bit cowboyish but thats like with anything, boys with their toys speedster cars, boats and jetskis to boot. So nothing new there.

Only the extreme greenies or conservationist tend to disagree with us, hence peeing into the pockets of pollies to grab sympathetic votes.

This is my opinion and may not represent the views of others.

Peter

Gilli
21-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey scott_nthQLD,
Mate we go spearing up here in townsville, just off toomulla at the shoals there as there is some really big and nice bombies. only been the once which was about 3 weeks ago but it was awesome.

Got about 4 mates together and we r arranging a trip out to acheron island, goin spearing around a shallow reef out there which has some nice trout and fingermark on it. Ill let ya know when we are going out if you are keen on the trip.

cheers,
Chris