PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a special jack for the trailer?

the gecko
01-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Having changed a few flats and bearings now, Im wondering if I should buy a special jack to suit the trailer. Luckily, the wheels changed were done at home, and I used a trolley jack (hydraulic). Ive never tried the cars Ford swivel style jack on the trailer. Are these jacks fine for a trailer?

The trolley jack only seems to lift about 2 inches, and so series of lifts, with bricks to chock it and relift, is needed.

Theres gotta be a better way. What does everybody else do?

cheers
Andrew

Didley
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Get your self a Holden, Andrew, you'll be better off in all ways;D

Noelm
01-05-2008, 02:18 PM
I use the Landcruiser jack for my trailer, it works OK, one thing to be sure of though, is make sure it fits under the Trailer when it has a flat tyre, some do not go small enough, those silly Ford/Holden scissor types do, but they are a tad dodgey to use.

marty+jojo
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I carry a 3 inch thick block of timber to sit the scissor type (HOLDEN) jack on,,,, works fine.
Marty.

tunaticer
01-05-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&partNumber=9071&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

best thing in the world that does not swim.

Jack.

littlejim
01-05-2008, 05:51 PM
i use the screw type car jack that comes with the Prado, but learnt the hard way it doesn't lift the trailer high enough to change the wheel. Now carry a block of wood too, to get the extra lift. Obviously makes sense to have a praccy at home and see how it goes.

the gecko
01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Tunaticer,
thats an interesting unit. Have you used them? How does it work? Do you still need another jack?

cheers
Andrew

Essence
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Have a 22yrd old nissan patrol red 2t jack. Can still get them from wreckers its heavy solid and fits in a tiny space!

tunaticer
01-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Gecko, Yeah bloody handy indeed, shortens a wheelchange down to about 2 minutes flat. They used to be available in another brand several years ago in a larger size that would suit a cruiser too, mate has one and its all he reaches for out scrub. Mine is as per the advert and use it on the 4x2 ute and trailers on trips away.

Simply put the U-shape notch to the axle and either drive forward or back till the wheel comes off the ground and put the park brake on. Dead set easy.

Jack.

Tangles
01-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Got an exhaust jack, probably overkill but its for the patrol and should double for the trailer.

mike

the gecko
02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks tunaticer, thats how I guessed they would work.
Im gonna order one.

cheers
Andrew