PDA

View Full Version : Advice please on tinny and motor

macman
01-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi

The question has been asked many times but I have not found an exact match so I will ask.

I have a small family with 3 kids under 5 years old. We live near a lazy river which we want to explore by boat. I know that our needs may change as everyone gets bigger and as our experience grows. As much as possible, I want the boat we buy to satisfy all our current and future needs but the emphasis needs to be on current as it may not be possible to do everything. Our budget is about $5500 (I hear you groan).

We would like something that can get us around quietly. Therefore, it seems that a four stroke is necessary. As these are rare second hand, it may have to be new.

I would like the option of taking my family and another adult and child out. I think this would probably be possible with a 395 but nothing less. For this sort of boat, I imagine a 20HP would be the minimum. Could I go lower?

Also, I understand the tradeoff between flat and v bottom is stability in calm versus ability to cope with a bit of rough. The kids would like it better being stable but I think it would be better to learn to cope with the calm instability in favour of a more versatile boat.

We also will need the safety gear and would like a binimi. Given all of this, if we need to compromise, on what points should we compromise? eg smaller boat, older boat, smaller engine etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BaitThrower
01-05-2008, 12:10 PM
You're gonna need a bigger boat!

If you want to take your own family (2 adults 3 kids) + 1 more adult and one more child. That's 3 adults and 4 kids... The kids count as half an adult in terms of boat loading because of their ages, so that makes 5 adults. For that number you will need a minimum 4.5m boat to meet general safety obligation (in Qld at least). For 5 adults, 20hp will be ok for slow cruising, but probably no chance of getting on the plane on a 4.5m boat with equivalent of 5 adults on board. I'd suspect at least a 40hp or 50hp would be needed minimum. Unfortunately your budget would not even cover the cost of a motor this size 4-stroke new....

You will have to compromise quite a bit I think... To start with, unless u find a whopepr deal on a second hand 4-stroke, you will have to go 2-stroke. Then you have to find a hull in good second hand condition, on a trailer big enough for probably less than $2,000. That will be a task. Then factor in at least another 1k for accessories and fitout.

This is not to say you wont find something suitable, and there are indeed boats out there for sale right now that will fit this criteria, and even your price, but they are going to be older with older motors.

You would need to at least double your budget for something semi-decent second hand I suspect. :( :(

macman
01-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Hi. Thanks for your reply.

The budget to go to that size just isn't there. So, with the kids at 0.5 of a person, we have 3.5 people. Therefore, we need the 3.9, don't we?

The friends will have to get their own boat. :)

Now, for the 3.9 with 3.5 people, can we get away with a 15HP? Should we go v or flat?

Cheers

STUIE63
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Macman the 3.9 will do your family at a squeeze . I used to do it when I was a kid .a 4.0m boat is a lot bigger than a 3.9 so maybe look at these as well . I think a 20 will work but a 25 would be better. there are alot of tinny's out there at the moment . bring someone that really knows boats to check it out . and insist on a water test. motors can run fine on muffs but not when they are launched and pinholes show up better when the boat is on the water .have fun looking and don't buy the first boat you look at . welcome to ausfish mate
Stuie

macman
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks Stuie

What would you recommend re flat or v hull?

Plastic_Magic
01-05-2008, 03:53 PM
MACMAN

Mate the perfect boat would be a 385 Quintrex Explorer with a 20hp Yammy 2-stroke..........These boats are very stable and produce a great ride in that little bit of chop.....They also are very beamy which gives them alot more stability......i have fished in won at awoonga dam and we had 3 Big fellas (all bout 100kg) and were throwing lures all day and it was reall good.......thay come in at around$5000 with trailer, safety gear, and a 2005 model 20hp yammy.(Well the one that is for sale up here at the moment)....hope this helps...

Cheers Plastic_Magic

STUIE63
01-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Mate definately if you want to head out into waves get a v . have a read of this thread it might help http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=116008&highlight=synful
Stuie