PDA

View Full Version : snapper on soft plastics

paul cooper
30-04-2008, 08:21 PM
last year i started fishing for snapper on soft plastics the first 3 or 4 times i came up short every week. the frustration was unbearable.but i persisted i took all of my mates out one by one and they all capitulated, couldnt handle the long stints in between not catching fish. when i mentioned plastics fishing every one had something else to do,then one morning mid november i can remember it clearly i threw a 7 inch flouro jerk shad out and let it float down as i had done a hundred times before. then WHAM i nearly had the rod pulled out of my handS. After about 5 minutes i hauled in a snapper about 5.5kgs. then during the morning another 3 hit the deck. i soon realized that i was under gunned when i was blown away by a big snapper then another. i upgraded my gear from an old 3500 bait runner with an el cheapo 4 kg shimano stick. to a strudwick blue water 8 to 10 kg stick with a shimano stradic 5000 using 6 kg braid and a 10 kg leader 3/8th oz jig heads with 7 inch jerk shads pink after that i had quite a few good sessions until the snapper went back into thier deep hiding places then the rain hit and the wind came and stayed . its almost may and ive been out 4 times since christmas.
the water clarity and fresh have sent all the fish scattering off the inshore reefs. ill be patient when its nearing november and the snapper come into the shallows ill be ready this year ill know where to go the gps never lies and im looking forward to that first screaming run and the excitement of looking at a nice snapper slipping into the net and yes ill be by myself with no self doubters spoiling my session to all who like to wet a line i reckon its better than sex but at 55 who cares any way. if theres any one out there that is passionately consumed by plastics fishing dont be afraid to come out of the closet joke joyce by for now coop

BARRAkid
30-04-2008, 08:38 PM
good onya mate plastics is the only way to go i recon alot more active.

Leighton
30-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I hear ya mate, not sure if its better than sex though.
One of my mates famous lines was " you cant catch fish on rubber bands ". I believe a positive approach is worth its weight in gold.
With a decent combo in his hands, I put my mate onto his PB Snap of 60cm, he noe pesters me to take him fishing