PDA

View Full Version : Power Trim

Titanic
30-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Anyone had this? power trim for no explained reason lowers to the lowest level and trim motor is still operating . Hitting up on toggle switch stops trim motor but does not move engine upwards. So you disconnect battery wait a while and try again this time it works but more than often it does not. Now to me it would seem that the toggle switch has a poor connection or maybe the switch is breaking down internally. Would disconnecting the switch on the toggle motor just allow the trim switch on the throttle control to operate ? Could it be more than the switch ?

BILLY THE KID
30-04-2008, 08:33 PM
have you checked the trim relays havent got salt corrosion on them

Outsider1
30-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Is there a trim/tilt switch on the motor to test your theory about the switch on throttle control being the problem?

Cheers

Dave

DJ77
30-04-2008, 08:43 PM
sounds like the lowering valve is energised or stuck open is the motor running as it is lowering if yes its probably an electrical problem if no its probably a weak or broken spring or some rubbish stuck in the lowering valve

Titanic
30-04-2008, 08:45 PM
No it is actually the switch on the motor I am using which locks the trim motor in down mode intermittently.

Titanic
01-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Last thing last night the trim motor was still operating all by itself in the downward direction so I disconnected the battery. This morning put the battery back on and its back to normal. Took it to my dealer who tells me he could not fault it after an hour of looking for the problem . Now I heard it, my wife heard it and so it did exist but of course as we all know because this is an intermittent fault it will not happen in a workshop. So I am waiting for it to happen again because unless the dealer found something he did not tell me about or just happened to tweak a connection it is going to happen again. I now at my request know which cable to disconnect so at least when it does it again I can stop it . Ain't it fun !