PDA

View Full Version : balance problem ??

bar raider
30-04-2008, 06:15 PM
father in laws boat sits nose high is this normal? does it need a hydrofoil?

fivefishes
30-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Bar Raider,

I know from experience a hydrofoil will certainly provide lift and therefore pop you up on the plane quicker, i'd be checking everything else before going for the hydrofoil though, it seems a bit slow out of the hole still. A hydrofoil fitted to my creek boat, 12' 8hp Tinny popped it up heaps quicker and added about 5k's/hr to top speed, nothing special but def planed easier.
Don't need one on my 4.5m so haven't fitted one.

Matt

P.S i know doesn't answer all your questions but certainly should help if considering a hydrofoil.

Matt

bar raider
30-04-2008, 07:43 PM
thanks five, never been in one before and it sure seems wrong

peterbo3
30-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I think he might be light on HP. How did it run on the sea trial before purchase?
Dealers have been known to fit the wrong prop & set the donk up incorrectly but it seems to be underpowered.

bar raider
30-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I think he might be light on HP. How did it run on the sea trial before purchase?
Dealers have been known to fit the wrong prop & set the donk up incorrectly but it seems to be underpowered.

he did get a rundown on driving the thing (after purchase) but he has only been in a boat once or twice so wouldn't be in a position to tell/know the difference.

"seems" to be OK powered, gets up and goes alright. might be short in the gearing so to speak (prop) as you have suggested.

bar raider
01-05-2008, 06:59 PM
he wont talk to the dealer or move some stuff around so its up to me to sort the problem by my self , i might have a chat to the dealer myself.

will check the prop size on weekend and report back.

Kleyny
01-05-2008, 07:53 PM
when it comes off the plane does it dig the bum down?
take a few photos of the boat and where things are positioned and the motor leg height and this will give people a better idea.
How heavy is your father inlaw?
what is the recomended HP ratings? dealers are well known to put a smaller motor on the rear to keep the package prices down.

neil

neil