PDA

View Full Version : Which Weather Station do you BELIEVE????

T1
30-04-2008, 09:40 AM
So, which one of the 2 below do you believe? Both measuring at the same Marker yet one says it was 6kn @ 9.00am and the other says 14kn! At least they got the wind direction right (if that's any consolation)...

Take Care T

Greg P
30-04-2008, 09:51 AM
When you are selling kites I suppose you need to believe you can go fly them :-X::)::)

I knew that Seabreeze uses a different forecasting model than BOM but I thought they would have been pulling the same data from the weather stations.

Roo
30-04-2008, 09:53 AM
T,
I think the remote stations send sample info in bursts so what ever it is blowing at the time of the sample is taken is what you are seeing here, just like some stations show data with average wind and max. wind gust values. also not uncommon for timed samples to show variations as a system moves over an area. on Anzac day I checked the surf on one point (light SW breeze) then checked another beach about 10ks north of this to find a strong NE seabreeze making a mess of it, so i returned to the first point and i could see the NE breeze moving down the beach towards it. I then checked another beach about 2km south of this and the NE breeze never made it there for quite a few hours. it stayed SW all morning untill the system moved in around lunch time.

Cheers Roo.

wags on the water
30-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I look at a few sites before making any decision to go wide. Seabreeze, Coastalwatch and BOM. Bouyweater also gets a look in.

Cheers,
Wags

Silent
30-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Umm... could you go there and confirm which one is correct...:P

Anybody has been go there this morning and verify which one is correct...

FNQCairns
30-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Umm... could you go there and confirm which one is correct...:P

Anybody has been go there this morning and verify which one is correct...

You might be able to chase it up here:

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/station.jsp?lt=site&lc=31011&list=ob

Look for the 24h 10minute obs for the place you need, they are BOM obs.

cheers fnq

Reel Nauti
30-04-2008, 02:19 PM
You can't believe nor rely on any of them T, in my opinion. They are so often hopelessly wrong that their word has to be taken with a grain of salt. We all need to rely more on the teachings of old............cloud patterns, rings around the moon, cold snaps etc etc. Sailors and fisherman in bygone days survived very well without these modern chest thumping clowns. Next they'll be telling us there's a hole in the ozone which has been caused by us and the world is getting warmer thanks very much to the industrialised world!!

Yeah right.

Dave

ronnien
30-04-2008, 03:19 PM
do what i do & go down the beach & have a look, this way i'am not getting lied at!

ron.

Poodroo
30-04-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't believe any of them T. But I use Seabreeze as a guide and pull out some old mathematical skills when I use their site. It's quite simple really. Here is an example:- Predictions for any day I have off there is a 99% chance that the winds will exceed 25knots whether or not Seabreeze say so. If they say that the winds will be SSE at 10-15 knots then multiply 15x100=1500 then divide by 60 which gives me the right answer. :P

Poodroo

SeaHunt
30-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Seabreezes 7 day forcast is pretty ordinary to say the least.
Last Saturday was a good example, forecast of 10 to 15 and I reckon it was blowing over 20, by time I anchored.
If you were planning weekend trips from Mondays or Tuesdays predictions in Seabreeze you would have shot yourself by now.
At the moment it is saying under 10 knots for all day Sunday, lets see what it says Saturday arvo and then what really happens when I get out there.

PinHead
30-04-2008, 04:59 PM
learn to read and understand a weather map..follow that and it will give you the best indication

Poodroo
30-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Actually I used this link often too. It gives me a pretty good idea of what weather patterns Australia wide are influencing our patterns here in the sunshine state.
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDE00902.loop.shtml

Poodroo

Oh Gee
30-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I dont beleave any of them but I do look at them and take in the info, make all the mental calculations, but then look out the window to make sure. If there is any movement in the trees 4:30 am or blowing more than 15 kts at Cape Moreton, I go back to bed.

Reel Nauti
30-04-2008, 10:15 PM
It certainly says a lot for their expertise if the rest of us also need to learn how to read a weather map???? And who draws the weather map???

Dave

r3volt
30-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Seabreeze is good, but you cant check it the night before you go out to make a decision as the graphs change, and do change alot sometimes between updates. Always check just before you go out everywhere you can, including the sky outside :)

T1
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys however i was merely highlighting the discrepancy! Ultimately, it us up to each person's knowledge and research to ascertain whether it is safe or not to venture out comfortable...

Take Care T

littlejim
01-05-2008, 05:27 PM
A have subscription to Buoyweather.com and also look up Seabreeze. I like Seabreeze better because it gives more frequent readings. Both sites are usually in agreement, or close to it. BOM also has sites where you can look up current and past wind speed readings for 24 hours or more..
Before I took a sub to Buoyweather I compared its predicted winds to the actual readings at Point Perpendicular, from the BOM site, for a fortnight. I was most impressed with how accurate Buoyweather was.
But you have to be prepared to accept that the timing isn't going to be perfect. If I want to go out for the day I don't mind if they are out by an hour or so and a few knots. I basically want to know if the day is going to be a write off or a goer.

I remember one day out in perfect conditions when BOM had a gale warning current for Jervis Bay. The low didn't quite get as far north as they thought; the gales stopped around Gabo Island or thereabouts.

Both Seabreeze and Buoyweather give you a better idea of what is going to happen than the BOM weather forecast on the radio which covers a huge area, usually not where you want to fish.

Try the comparison of their predictions with the BOM wind readings and see if it works where you go fishing.

vb4me
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
I checkout weatherzone and BOM before I go out. Then I look out the window:D. I think just use these sites as a reference dont worry about the exact kmh and direction as the forecasts are fairly broad. Basically I agree with OhGee.

Jackinthebox
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Learn to read the synoptic chart boys.

The weather patterns are very predictable if you have lived here for a while. (SEQ)

I never look at any of these sites except the synoptic charts on BOM & i had no choice but to get it right, I used to fish outside in a 3.5 mtr bass boat!!!!

Mick