PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Brisbane River mouth please

SummerTrance
29-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey,

For my next trip im planning on launching at whyte Island ramp and heading to Mud Island. I usually fish the southern bay and launch at Raby Bay, so I have never lauched from whyte or travelled out the Brisbane River mouth.

Is there anything I should know about the bris river from whyte island to Mud ? Is that area of the river 20 Knot speed limit? any special rules relating to the wharves or container ships ?

I've had a look at the beacon to beacon and on paper it looks pretty straight forward.

If anyone had any tips that only a local would know, that'd be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Keechie
29-04-2008, 07:18 PM
as you said its pretty much straight forward and nothing complicate that i know of. i know in southerley's i think they are there is a bit of lift in the waves.

regards,
keechie

Dantren
29-04-2008, 07:26 PM
When you head back from Mud, look out for the Port rock wall.
It's poorly lit at night, & has claimed several boats & lives recently.

The smell at luggage point is deadly too!!!!!

Good fishing at mud though.

Dan.

rakinray
29-04-2008, 09:15 PM
G/ day S/T just a few things to be aware of when heading to Mud from the Whyte Island ramp 1. look for objects hitting the bridge when the tides high. 2. Stay as close to the Water Police/ Moreton Flyer/ Tug Jettys on the way out due to very shallow on the other side. 3. Keep to the middle of the river (deepest channell ) and the Port Security will send you away from the ships and the wharf. 4. I always stay in the shipping channell untill i go past the first coffee pot marker then head to Mud (this keeps you away from the rock wall and shallow areas out from it.) Hope you enjoy your maiden trip ! (What am i doing ::) encouraging another boat to fish Mud ! )

CHEERS RAY.:D

SummerTrance
29-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks Ray, dont worry you wernt encouraging me any further, just giving good safty advice. I was going regardless. Fished there last week, but drove the boat up from Peel.

Thanks again!

BILLY THE KID
29-04-2008, 09:38 PM
roughly the same distance from whyte island as it is from wello pt ;)

mik01
29-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks Ray, dont worry you wernt encouraging me any further, just giving good safty advice. I was going regardless. Fished there last week, but drove the boat up from Peel.

Thanks again!

ST - I often head out the mouth from Colmslie to Mud.
Stick to the middle and you have no worries - just be aware of the increased traffic in a narrow space compared to the wide open bay (in case you haven't hit the river yet).

If its dark, slow down and keep lookout for channel markers - can be hard to spot against the lights of the various industries that line the shore.

the mouth can cut up very badly in a nthrly or sthrly wind - like a washing machine!!! I'm not kidding - it can get rough! just slow down again as above.

also, watch out for tankers and especially tug boats - they really move and have a huge wake to deal with if they are heading out to bring a tanker in.

other than that - no worries! just make sure you follow the channel markers in and out to avoid the sand bar on the airport side, and the rock wall on the south side.

ps - only speed limit I know is the 6knt no wash limit under the Gateway bridge.

Fatenhappy
30-04-2008, 12:54 PM
From personal experience ....

The port autority (or rather Customs) is pretty posessive of your getting anywhere near the conatiner ships there ... stay well away, the further the better (middle of the channel) otherwise you'll get an unexpected visit from a pretty quick RIB with flashing lights ...