PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear about a collision on the Sunshine Coast ?

fishing111
29-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Pulled this off another forum,

http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/templates/subSilver/images/icon_minipost.gif (http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=825822#825822)Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:51 am Post subject: Big boat drivers apathy http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/templates/subSilver/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gif (http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&p=825822) Hi everyone

Just received details of an shocking case of driver negligence that nearly injured/killed 3 people on the sunshine coast.

A mate of mine and 2 others were fishing on a near new Bar Crusher 560C on the sunshine reef on sunday, beautiful clear day 8.30am flat sea, 2 coral trout on board and life is looking good.

they then see a large fleet of over a dozen Riviera cruisers coming their way hugging the coast line, there are about 5 boats scattered at anchor fishing as well. The lead boat shows no sign of changing direction or speed and continues to advance. The guys on the BC start getting a little concerned and start to wave trying to warn the craft to change direction, boat continues directly at them, too late to move they did the only thing possible and jumped for their lives.

40+ foot riv hits the bar crusher 560 broadside on the passenger side,bow climbing up the hull ripping part of the roof, boat almost rolls over taking on a fair bit of water but doesnt go under, owner of the BC is almost crushed under the hull, the last thing 2 on board the BC saw was the skipper of the cruiser at the helm with his back to the bow with the autohelm on admiring the sight of the other dozen or so cruisers following and had no idea there were anchored boats in their path.

When they did stop to render assistance one of the women on board tried her best to minimise the seriousness of what had just happened by offering the owner of the BC a bottle of scotch(which he told her where she could stick).

All on board including my mate are as of last night when I last saw him are still in shock. Thankfully no one was seriously injured and the Bar Crusher was still seaworthy enough to limp back with the bilge pumps working, However I think its safe to say that insurance will be giving him a new hull as it would cost a fair bit to try and open up the boat the full length of the port side and fix the damage. The Plate Alloy bent in about 10inches in for the impact which is pretty good for a hit from a 40ft boat travelling at cruising speed which was around 20knots.

I sincerely hope that the water police caught up with that mob and charges are laid, as what happened was downright idiotic. and the icing on the cake, they lost all the rods reels tackle box, Lure bag and the 2 Coral Trout

Cheers
Russ

Dantren
29-04-2008, 07:16 PM
WOW,

Sounds like your mates are very lucky to be alive.

I hope the water police were called immediately to investigate and breathalyse all people involved.

Such "accidents/negligence" are so easily avoidable if people pull their head out of their arse.

Glad to hear no-one was hurt.

Dan.

SummerTrance
29-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Holy crap, that is rank!!!!!!! how does someone not see 5 anchored boats in their path. even with auto pilot, they should still be watching where they are going.

Those guys are lucky to be alive, and should be pursuing the skipper of the riviera for lost costs of fishing gear, if their insurance doesnt cover it.

fishing111
29-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Dantern, not my mates, I don't know them, though I do feel for the poor bastards if it happened like that.. I don't blame the guy for telling them what to do with there scotch.
A horn is definately on my shopping list after reading it..

Keechie
29-04-2008, 07:32 PM
holy shit!!! thats unbelievable i can't bwlieve that actually happend best of luck to your mates and i hope the guys in the 40ft cruiser get some bad karma.

regards,
keechie

Black_Rat
29-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I heard about this this afternoon from another Ausfish member in an email that saw it.

Sounds pretty serious :o

Fish Guts
29-04-2008, 07:57 PM
bloody gold coast boats

Spaniard_King
29-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Must be a runout sale on them, I see there downsizing their staff levels.

That skipper should be dealt with in a court IMO

Reel Nauti
29-04-2008, 08:01 PM
If it was as it has been told then the skipper (he doesn't deserve to be called that) of the Riv ought to be charged with a bloody multitude of offences. Not the least of which should be driving without due care and attention resulting in grievous bodily harm.

Dave

Bros
29-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I hope they reported it.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Marine_incidents/
(http://#######.com/45geoh)

champion
29-04-2008, 08:20 PM
no doubt the the riv owner just has too much money and not enough boating experiance......
good too see the boys are ok (just).
we heard it on the radio...and couldnt figure out how it happened.

stuartym
29-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Guys,
I had the pleasure of meeting the 20+ Rivs arriving into Mooloolaba mouth on Saturday interesting in a 4.29 tinnie. They did appear to be moving a little quick
although I suspect they need some forward motion............I'm so glad they didn't smash into us......Where are the water police when you need them long week-end and all.. I cannot beleive the person in control of a boat that size can let that happen ABSOLUTE disgrace......Charges pending I hope.
I hope all in the BC are ok and the insurance company is honorable......

Stuart

Stuart

Reel Nauti
29-04-2008, 08:39 PM
In the event of a car accident if the damage is in excess of 3k (I think) then the police must be called. Wouldn't it be the same on the water? Surely you can't be involved in an accident of that magnitude and just bugger off???

Dave

Black_Rat
29-04-2008, 08:48 PM
I thought any collision on the water must be reported to Maritime Safety QLD ?? :-/ & an investigation must be done if reported ?

More info here: - > http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Safety/Marine_incidents/

Reporting marine incidents
Under the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994, a marine incident is classified as an event causing or involving:

the loss of a person from a ship
the death of, or grievous bodily harm to, a person caused by a ship's operations
the loss or presumed loss or abandonment of a ship
a collision with a ship
the stranding of a ship
material damage to a ship
material damage caused by a ship's operations
danger to a person caused by a ship's operations
danger of serious damage to a ship
danger of serious damage to a structure caused by a ship's operations.Maritime Safety Queensland has responsibility to collate and analyse the marine incident data provided by people involved in marine incidents. This information is gathered into reports by the Maritime Safety Branch, which produces two main reports each year: the annual Marine Incidents Report (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/Publications/Marine_incident_annual_reports) and the National Marine Safety Committee (Queensland jurisdiction) report.
How do I report a marine incident?
A marine incident must be reported to a shipping inspector within 48 hours of the incident, unless there is a reasonable excuse. Shipping Inspectors are marine safety officers (located at Maritime Safety Queensland marine operations bases), and officers of Queensland Water Police and Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol. If you are unable to access one of these offices, contact a Shipping Inspector (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/About_us/How_to_contact_us/Regions) by phone. They will advise you what to do next.

The report must be made on the approved form marine incident report form (PDF**, 37KB) (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb59d20ff992c79/Pdf_f3071.pdf). These forms are also available from Queensland Transport customer service centres (http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home/About_us/How_to_contact_us/), Maritime Safety Queensland regional offices (http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Home/About_us/How_to_contact_us/Regions), Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol and Water Police offices. This form is used to report all incidents, no matter the type of ship involved.

The form may be completed with the assistance of a shipping inspector to ensure the information is accurate, unbiased and as reliable as possible. It is important that the form is filled in completely, with the incident described in as much detail as possible. The shipping inspector who receives the form will check to ensure it has been correctly completed.
If the initial report is not made in the approved form, the owner or master must make a further report to a shipping inspector in the approved form as soon as possible. The master would normally report a marine incident but the owner would report if the master, for some justifiable reason, was not able to make the report. Each marine incident reported will be investigated by a Shipping Inspector and the results of the investigation reported in the approved form.
The investigation may be as simple as a thorough examination of the marine incident report form and a decision that no further action is required, or it may require an investigation complete with interviews, statements, surveyor's reports and the preparation of a prosecution brief.

Greg P
29-04-2008, 08:52 PM
I thought any collision on the water must be reported to QLD Maritime Safety ?? :-/ & an investigation must be done if reported ?

Damo - absolutely right. How anybody was not killed is a miracle.

A bottle of spirits to quieten down - jeezus :-X:-X:-X

BaitThrower
29-04-2008, 08:54 PM
more money than sense.

Black_Rat
29-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Damo - absolutely right. How anybody was not killed is a miracle.

A bottle of spirits to quieten down - jeezus :-X:-X:-X

A carton of 700ml Bundy's maybe ;D but nah ! Skipper was in the wrong and hopefully they catch up with them

I could imagine the outcry from the owner if the Rivira got run down by a freighter :-X ;D ;D ;D

Angla
29-04-2008, 09:24 PM
The operator of the riviera should be held accountable by the appropriate authorities. What a bloody knob.

Hope the guys in the Bar crusher get everything compensated to the fullest extent after what they experienced

There just is no need for this sort of thing to happen

Chris

tunaticer
29-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Has anyone got any details of the Riviera boat and its skipper and passengers? Or any of the other boats in thier flotilla??
It is all very good to say I hope this and that but unfortunately all too often essential details are overlooked in the heat of the moment and stuffs up charges being laid and compensation claims.

I think the police should have been called out immediately rather than anyone limping back to port with a damaged boat or letting the riviera motor away.

I really hope nothing has been compromised in this incident.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS involve the coppers in anything that could lead towards some charges or compensation claim IMMEDIATELY and let nobody leave the scene except in an ambulance.

Jack.

Noelm
30-04-2008, 09:01 AM
so are you saying that the guy in the big Boat did not know he had hit the smaller one?? as you say the "last thing they saw was the driver with his back to the bow" I would think that unless you were in an Aircraft Carrier, then you would certainly know you ran over a Fishing Boat, I am not taking anything away from the Negligence of the skipper or looking for excuses, it just seems that it would be odd not to be crapping your pants after hearing and feeling the crash (maybe) I have been in big Boats and hit a trap Bouy and you hear and feel that.

TimiBoy
30-04-2008, 09:14 AM
He's probably the same bastard who steered a 40 foot Riv within 10 metres of us (we were anchored just NE of Dunwich, fishing) at about 15 knots. Scared the living sh^t out of us, and he didn't even look my way as I yelled at him. He was one of a crowd of big boats coming into the anchorage, but the others behaved. We're in a Cruisecraft 685, and I swear he nearly rolled us.

Never... even... saw... us...

Fish Guts
30-04-2008, 09:18 AM
the poser boats shouldnt be allowed to leave the broadwater.

Greg P
30-04-2008, 09:46 AM
the poser boats shouldnt be allowed to leave the broadwater.

Wasnt there another Jetski fatality down there over the weekend?

groverwa
30-04-2008, 10:31 AM
There was case in the south west of west aussie about 2 years ago where a pro cray boat was on auto pilot coming back to mooring from the sea, not having a lookout and ran over a small dinghy with a man and child on board. The child was killed. From memory the skipper got a smack on the hand for his actions.

Getout
30-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I've known of a couple of similar instances recently. The skipper of one boat ended up in court and scored a big fine or jail sentence.
I often think about the possibility of getting run over whilst at anchor. I have had a few close calls. At night, I hoist a radar reflector off an upright outrigger and if I see an impending distaster unfolding, I start the engine and prepare to hit the throttle while the anchor is still fast. I figure the slack in the anchor line will be enough to give me a fair chance of avoiding impact.

Fish Guts
30-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Wasnt there another Jetski fatality down there over the weekend?

yea a 'hire' jet ski ran into an anchored boat at Labrador on monday. Driver, a doctor from uk died but his wife survived. Interesting to see the recommendations from the inquest. I think they will ban the hiring practice where they are given a set area to hoon around in. If sydney harbour can ban them why cant the broadwater !

death_ship
30-04-2008, 02:22 PM
i watched those Rivs go right through a group of boats at cape moreton on the weekend, scary stuff.
wouldnt surprise me if the skipper was drinking as well, should of called the police for sure.

coucho
30-04-2008, 02:46 PM
There was case in the south west of west aussie about 2 years ago where a pro cray boat was on auto pilot coming back to mooring from the sea, not having a lookout and ran over a small dinghy with a man and child on board. The child was killed. From memory the skipper got a smack on the hand for his actions.

same thing happened on the Clarence quiet a few years back now a trawler ran over boat anchored in the channel skipper never even saw the dinghy one man in the dinghy died the other survived. From memory the skipper of the trawler done time for man slaughter.

again a few years ago now one of my friends and his dad where workin a trawler off the coast from Yamba the trawler was run over at night by a ship. Ship never stopped he spent over 18 hours floating at sea before he was picked up late the next arvo buy another trawler on its way to work. His dad wasn't as lucky and went down on the trawler. Skipper of the ship got a 1500 dollar fine and they said they never even knew they hit the trawler killed one man and left another for dead 15 mile off the coast and got a $1500 dollar fine what a joke.

stuartym
30-04-2008, 03:59 PM
When I saw the pack of Rivs, Sox & Blondes was the the lead Boat

Stuart

Stuart
30-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Not the first time something like this has happened on the Sunshine Coat. I call these types of cowboys “weekend wankers”. I almost got run over by a riv years ago, wont mention the name of the boat but he refused to move even though we where at anchored, had to cut the anchor rope and make a bee line. He almost rubbed off our gel coat. Let’s just say he coped it when we got back. Found him cleaning the boat back at harbour and we sorted it out on dry land. These guys are to busy hob knobbing it on the bridge they simply don’t belong on.

Stu

FNQCairns
30-04-2008, 05:40 PM
When I saw the pack of Rivs, Sox & Blondes was the the lead Boat

Stuart

Sounds like a little Bonfire of the vanities would not be un deserved.;D

cheers fnq

Oh Gee
30-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Bother of mine was out around Caloundra 12mile on sat and said the buggers passed several hundred metres away. A few minutes later the sea went from calmish to being like it had been blowing SE at 30 kts for days then back to calmish.
People with to much money, to much spare timed, and hardly a hand full of brain cells between them.

dww13
01-05-2008, 09:31 AM
"passed several hundred meters away"

This would be a good thing wouldnt it????

Lets not throw all boats into the same basket hey. Obviously the skipper involved in the incident deservs to get run through the ringers and hopefully he does and or has been.

Its very hard to believe that a boat was hit at 20 knots by a 20 tonne boat and they were able to motor in on their own. If so they are very lucky i think.

Even harder to believe is that the skipper of the small boat and the large boat didnt disscuss the incident. Offering a bottle of scotch??? i think this line either shows that the collision was much less then described or it didnt happen at all.

I have personally seen a 40ft boat run over a much smaller hains and there is no way that either boat could keep on going their own way.

And its not only the weekend cowboys or wankers in the bigger boats either. What about all of the smaller boats running around before light with no lights and cutting through navigatted channels etc. The mooloolaba river mouth at the moment is a perfect example.

Regardless of boat size it seems that there are a huge number of people out there that think the water is a safe haven and although they have a rec ship masters licence very few of them actually have any understanding of the col regs or bouyage system.

Maybe reporting of all these incidents will see the authorities step up the requirments for attaining a rec ship masters licence and make it a safer place for all.

Daniel

Noelm
01-05-2008, 10:06 AM
some of what you say is correct, but also it would seem that we are branding ALL Riviera owners as being wankers, inept, drunks and a host of other stuff! seems to me that there might be a host of big Boat Owners/operaters that are very good Skippers, and some might even be Riv owners as well, lets not be too specific in our labeling!

PADDLES
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
i agree dan, the initial story does sound a little stretched. if someone had hit me with a boat that big at 20knots there would be massive destruction and if i survived it, i would be waiting in their boat at the scene for the water police or coast guard to arrive. noel is right too, not every gin palace owner is as thoughtless as these guys may or may not have been. leaving a few hundred metres space at the 12 mile seems pretty thoughtful to me.

death_ship
01-05-2008, 03:26 PM
some of what you say is correct, but also it would seem that we are branding ALL Riviera owners as being wankers, inept, drunks and a host of other stuff! seems to me that there might be a host of big Boat Owners/operaters that are very good Skippers, and some might even be Riv owners as well, lets not be too specific in our labeling!
more to the point how many have you met that werent drunks, wankers, etc???

Taroona
01-05-2008, 03:43 PM
I for one have seen on many occasions smaller craft in the 4 to 6metre size under the control people that had no clue at all.

You know, lying at anchor over at peel and a power boat goes thru at 10 knots only 4 0r 5 meters away and amongst people swimming.

What about the wankers you have seen on many occasions who have no idea about distances from other vessels and the six knot rule.

Just because somebody has a larger than your boat doesn't mean they are wankers or don't know what they are doing.

PinHead
01-05-2008, 05:32 PM
more to the point how many have you met that werent drunks, wankers, etc???

a hell of a lot more than morons in tinnies that seem to think the rules don't apply to them..you know the ones..no wash within 30 metres of an anchored vessel does not apply to them...the numerous that have been complained about on here that anchor at night without lights on.

seems like you probably don't know any at all...jealousy can be a cruel thing at times.

death_ship
01-05-2008, 10:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4GuNBPg7vk song for pinhead

mik01
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
AHHHH... the Ramones. what a classic!!!
I don't wanna grow up...

(poor old Pinhead!)

uripper
02-05-2008, 04:11 AM
...... At night, I hoist a radar reflector off an upright outrigger and if I see an impending distaster unfolding, I start the engine and prepare to hit the throttle while the anchor is still fast.

Getout - like that idea - pls excuse my ignorance - pls describe what is a radar deflector - thanks, MalM

PinHead
02-05-2008, 05:44 AM
AHHHH... the Ramones. what a classic!!!
I don't wanna grow up...

(poor old Pinhead!)

don't worry, I have grown up..I am sick of hearing of one group of people all labelled with the same brush..like saying all fishermen catch fish and they are all environmental vandals.

PS.."I don't want to grow up"..Tom Waites originally wrote and recorded it.

Black_Rat
13-05-2008, 11:47 PM
I had a call from an old workmate that read this thread and allegedly the vessell at fault involved resides in Manly ! :-X :-X :-X

Getout
14-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Getout - like that idea - pls excuse my ignorance - pls describe what is a radar deflector - thanks, MalM
Radar reflectors come in many shapes. In essence, they are device that returns a radar beam in the direction from which it came, just like a light reflector. Yachts carry them because the surface of their mast doesn't present a reliable reflection due to the round surface.
Mine is about the size of a small cylindrical fender.

From sailgb.com:
Passive Radar Reflectors comprise an array of Reflectors which reflect another vessels radar signal. The quality of the reflected radar signal determines the size of the pattern on a ships radar screen.
A ship making 20 knots will cover 3 miles in only 9 minutes - any steps you can take to give a vessel more time to avoid you are a must!
Passive Radar units may be open, inflatable or enclosed in a glassfibre or polyethylene case. At each end, fixings may enable a standing rigging or halyard hoist or mast mounting.

Blackened
14-05-2008, 06:02 AM
a hell of a lot more than morons in tinnies that seem to think the rules don't apply to them..you know the ones..no wash within 30 metres of an anchored vessel does not apply to them...the numerous that have been complained about on here that anchor at night without lights on.

seems like you probably don't know any at all...jealousy can be a cruel thing at times.

G'day

Spot on Greg. I've dealt with many an owner with a bigger boat, and 90% of them are champions. It IS the smaller raft skipper that you have to watch most of the time

Dave

sharkymark2
14-05-2008, 08:28 AM
If you have an accident on the road it still has to be reported. If its an expensive accident the police have to be called to the site. I was almost charged for late reporting of an accident.

tunaticer
14-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Has there been any results from this collision??

I am still yet to see anything about this apart from in this thread.

I would have thought it to be at least newsworthy these days.

Jack.

Getout
14-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I talked to a mate of the owner the other day. The boat was a write off. In some cases under investigation, keeping it out of the news is an advantage.

tunaticer
14-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I hope he gets a good outcome in this bastardly event.

Your mate is bloody dead set lucky to be able to keep things like this out of the media.

Has the other boat surfaced yet for repairs anywhere?
Be interested to hear the extent of damages he suffered.

Jack.

Fish Guts
14-05-2008, 09:01 PM
agreed Jack,

was out off cal wide 3 weeks ago and within an hour of a guy putting in a call for assistance from the coastguard (had engine probs, and slight leak i think). the news chopper was on the vhf trying to scavenge for a story. was amazed nothing was written up about this. hope it all gets resolved.

cheers

fish guts

dreemon
21-05-2008, 10:21 AM
I think I'll buy a horn aswell !! seems to me the A-Holes with the money have their eyes painted on !

johnny roger
21-05-2008, 04:41 PM
BLOODY IDIOTS. can't put it any other way....well i can, but...>:(
I hope your mate is recovering now and all is well.
John