PDA

View Full Version : Reply from Mike Horan

castlemaine
29-04-2008, 02:57 PM
I wrote to Mike Horan on the 7th March 2008, to find out the Oppositions view on the EPA closures. I'm sure he gets heaps of emails so I'm not worried about the promptness of this reply ...

17 April 2008

Horan calls for commonsense on Moreton Bay

Shadow Minister for Primary Industries & Fisheries Mike Horan has called for commonsense in the drafting of the Moreton Bay Marine Park structural package.

In a speech to State Parliament, Mr Horan said drafting of the ‘structural package’ for commercial fishers and crabbers whose livelihoods and businesses were affected by Moreton Bay Marine Park closures needed commonsense and input from industry and the DPI&F with zonings based on sound science.

“There needs to be a committee that includes people who are involved in the fishing industry and who are active on Moreton Bay,” Mr Horan said.

“The committee must also have representatives from DPI&F because they are the ones responsible for sustainable management through the regulation of commercial and recreational fishing.”

Mr Horan said any fishing licences issued after the final plan was in place must be done under the DPI&F and not under Marine Parks’ legislation, because DPI&F had legislation that recognised the proprietary rights of commercial fishermen.

He said any decisions on Moreton Bay Marine Park zonings must be made on sound science, not philosophical beliefs or politics.

“The plan put forward by the Moreton Bay Alliance who represent recreational and commercial fishers, boating and associated industries is based on independent and professional science.

“In particular, it provides better protection of the sea grass and estuarine environment while still allowing for reasonable and sustainable access to the bay.”

Mr Horan emphasised it was time for the Bligh government to use independent science and not “philosophical straight lines and guesstimates” in setting the bay zonings.

Media contact: Mike Horan 0418 982 271

Hansard Wednesday, 16 April 2008

Speech by
Mike Horan

MEMBER FOR TOOWOOMBA SOUTH
MORETON BAY MARINE PARK ZONING PLAN
Mr HORAN (Toowoomba South—NPA) (11.49 am): We are reaching the final stages of theexamination of the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan and I want to speak about three things in the twominutes that I have. The first is that when an eventual structural adjustment package is put together it isabsolutely essential that the committee that oversees that package includes fishermen who know
intimately Moreton Bay and what effect these closures will have on their industry, people who represent therecreational and boating industries, and also someone who represents the Department of PrimaryIndustries and Fisheries because it is responsible for sustainable fishing in the bay.
Secondly, I want to talk about the issuing of licences. This draft plan has been put forward under theMarine Parks Act 2004. It is essential that licences which are issued once this plan comes into force areissued under the Fisheries Act, because that act has regulations which enshrine the property rights offishermen in this state. It is the department’s responsibility to ensure the viability and sustainability offisheries and to oversee commercial and recreational fishing, so it is essential that those licences comeunder that particular department.
Finally, this Moreton Bay zoning must be based on proper science. It cannot be based on
philosophy, or warm and fuzzy feelings, or taking a straight 10 per cent, or drawing straight lines. It must bebased on science. The Moreton Bay alliance, representing commercial, recreational, boating and on-shorefishing in Moreton Bay and associated industries, has done some marvellous work with the science. It hasdone a better job with regard to riverine, estuarine and seagrass areas—which are the most importantparts of the environment of the bay. I am asking the minister for sustainability to take notice of this verycorrect and accurate scientific study.

Mike Delisser
29-04-2008, 04:17 PM
A couple of months ago I also contacted Mike Horan and asked him
"Sir I'd like to know your position on the Moreton Bay Draft Plan and should it be implemented in its current form would a Nat/Lib Qld Government overturn it when they next win office? Thankyou."

He sent me this press release. He seems a little more weighted toward the commercial sector than the rec fisherman (understandable for Nats with pro's being classed as primary producers) but I'm dissapointed he wouldn't tell me what the Nat/Libs would do when they next win office. He does say he is concerned though, twice in fact.

His reply / press release
Moreton Bay closures will devastate fishing industries
The Queensland Coalition fear fishing bans proposed for Moreton Bay could devastate fishing and boating industries and inflict more financial pain than the State Government anticipates.
Shadow Fisheries Minister Mike Horan and Shadow Sustainability Minister Rosemary Menkens said the Queensland Labor Government had seriously underestimated the social and economic impact of their proposed Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan.
"The marine park zoning needs to strike an appropriate balance between protecting the natural environment and marine life, and allowing families to go fishing on weekends and commercial operators to catch the fresh local seafood we all love to eat," Mrs Menkens said.
"I am concerned the draft zoning plan could actually place increased pressure on fish stocks as boaties and fishers are crammed into smaller and smaller areas to go fishing."
Mr Horan said he was concerned the State Labor Government's rezoning decision was based on which areas were the best fishing spots and which areas were easy to close, rather than on science and protecting the marine habitats that actually need protecting.
"This plan will really hurt commercial operators who will lose access to more than half of their most productive fishing areas, while the State Government's estimate of a $4 million annual loss ignores the flow on impact to associated businesses," he said.
"I also fear many families will decide going out on the Bay in a tinnie to cast a line out every now and then is just too hard if they have to rely on expensive GPS tracking systems to navigate the patchwork quilt zoning and ensure they adhere to the law."
Mrs Menkens said she expected the State Government's proposed $14 million adjustment package would be manifestly inadequate given the experience after the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park rezoning.
"The Queensland Labor Government inflicted enormous pain on commercial and recreational fishers through complementary zoning in coastal areas off the Great Barrier Reef and through the coral reef fishery plan and offered no compensation at all," she said.
"At least this time some dollars are being put on the table to help fishing industries adjust to the changes, but it is likely to be a drop in the ocean of what is really needed to compensate people who could lose their livelihoods as a result of a State Government decision."
Media Contact - Mike Horan 0418 982 271 or Rosemary Menkens 0439 705 021

Chris Ryan
29-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I have been told it takes about 12 years to overturn legislation put in place by another Government. So even if they are definitely going to do it, it is 3 terms before it comes about.

I could be entirely wrong (happy to admit it if I am), but considering the high level public servants which will have egg on their face by an immediate change back, let alone the greenie backlash and increased pressure on Ministers and advisros across the board, it would be political suicide as things would get blocked up inside government departments and nothing would move.

Chris

Mike Delisser
29-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Come on Chris ::) Who told you that???
The 1st stage of legislation to remove Work Choices was introduced to Fed Parliament 2 1/2 months into the Rudd Gov's term with the last stage to be introduced later this year. And I think Work Choices is a lot more complex than the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan. Once the bill is prepared it can be done as soon as the Gov wishes if they have the numbers though the more complex the bill, the longer it takes. Struth the Gov just changed the boundaries of nearly every council in Qld against massive public outcry in little more than 1/2 a term from start to finish. I don't think it would be as hard to change the bounaries and uses of the Marine Park zones if they realy wanted to, aren't they to be reviewed every 5 years or something like that? Every state in Australia regularly repeals legislation.

If the will is there they could do it (and have my vote). You shouldn't be making excuses for him, I just wish he could have told me they would at least do their best to do something about it when they're next elected.

Grunter71
30-04-2008, 11:04 AM
If the will is there they could do it (and have my vote). You shouldn't be making excuses for him, I just wish he could have told me they would at least do their best to do something about it when they're next elected.

I agree M62.

If the Libs/Nats were to make an election promise to overturn(like Labor did with Workchoices), then it could happen. If they aren't going to promise that, but only promise to consider it, then I wouldn't expect anything to change.

Chris Ryan
30-04-2008, 01:31 PM
In which case I am wrong and so is the person who told me the information. Like I said, happy to admit it when I am.

Chris

4x4frog
01-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree M62.

If the Libs/Nats were to make an election promise to overturn(like Labor did with Workchoices), then it could happen. If they aren't going to promise that, but only promise to consider it, then I wouldn't expect anything to change.
Whilst it would be great for all involved for the Lib/Nat coalition to overturn the legislation on the zoning of the Bay, who thinks they would actually do it. In these days of be green at all costs, I personally believe it would be political suicide for them to do so and would relegate them to the political dog house for 20 more years.....just my opinion though.
I for one would love to see sensible zoning undertaken, not the knee jerk vote grab the Labor party have undertaken.

rando
01-05-2008, 11:04 PM
The Lib /Nats wont be elected anytime soon, not till they get their "house in order"
IMO

castlemaine
02-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Whilst it would be great for all involved for the Lib/Nat coalition to overturn the legislation on the zoning of the Bay, who thinks they would actually do it. In these days of be green at all costs, I personally believe it would be political suicide for them to do so and would relegate them to the political dog house for 20 more years.....just my opinion though.
I for one would love to see sensible zoning undertaken, not the knee jerk vote grab the Labor party have undertaken.

I have to agree 4X4Frog, in these days if you politically don't lean, even slightly, green you don't have a chance. At the end of the day, politics is not of judgement on sound merit but how best to win votes. The question is 'Is there more informed conservative voters (fishers included) that vote or voters that just want conservation for the sake of it?' If you look at what's happened overseas and I believe we will follow the trend, then we're in for an undeserved 'big kick in the @rse'. Cheers 8-) PS even Kermit the not 4X4 Frog was green.;D