PDA

View Full Version : What's the smallest recommended boat for croc country?

Chuck Norris
28-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi All,

With regards to crocodiles is a three metre aluminium boat with a 5 or 8 hp engine to small to explore and fish on the rivers of lakefield national park?

I am heading up that way this season and was thinking of purchasing a small car topper in cairns to take with and then have it shipped back down to sydney when holiday is over.

Or better yet are there any hire places around cairns or cooktown that hire small boats on a multi day basis that can be taken into lakefield?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you.

regards,

Charles.

Flex
28-04-2008, 06:12 PM
I once saw a guy using a 3m punt with a 3hp seagul in a remote river up north. he even took it out the mouth of a creek in a half meter swell to fish another creek..

The boats sides were no more than 6 inches above the water line!! but i rekon he was a few sandwiches short of a picknick.

So I guess you can take any boat up there. But I'd be wanting a 3.5+m boat at least with sat a 15hp to make it safe and comfortable

marty+jojo
28-04-2008, 06:20 PM
I know i would not want to be in anything less than a 3.5mtr and even then i would be worried, but it's your life. Getting chewed on by a croc would be a bad way to go.
Marty.

2iar
28-04-2008, 07:02 PM
You're Chuck Norris. Crocs wouldn't be dumb enough to come near you.

Greg P
28-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Croc skin boat;D;D;D

Wahoo
28-04-2008, 07:26 PM
G'day Charles

when we venture north we take a 3.8 m tinny, i am more worried about them straying at night while we sleep, and they have, you might know this, but during the day while every one is out fishing, keep all the food locked away, damn crows make a huge mess of the campsite ( they love egg and bread)

Daz

Barraholic
28-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I think its more about freeboard than length :o :o :o

disorderly
28-04-2008, 08:21 PM
I think its more about freeboard than length :o :o :o

Yep my feelings are that when you are leaning over the side yanking up crab pots its good to have a solid stable platform...when I was looking for a creek boat I ended up with a 4.3 metre beamy job because I would absolutely shit myself if I were to fall into a croc infested creek...I hate them and they scare the crap outta me..
So IMO the bigger the boat the better.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

But then again you ARE Chuck Norris so perhaps an inflated tractor tyre tube may well be adequate.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Scott

BARRAkid
28-04-2008, 08:29 PM
a 3.7m nomad would be the go with a 15hp they are quite stable stock ;D

Barraholic
28-04-2008, 08:49 PM
As I said FREEBOARD........

Tidas
28-04-2008, 09:44 PM
You're Chuck Norris. Crocs wouldn't be dumb enough to come near you.

:D :D :D :D GOLD !!!! :D :D :D :D

Personally, I would be thinking big enough that if it sank it would still be above water..........................something with a flybridge. ;)

northernblue
28-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I have seen the above photo before, I don't know it's background, but I'm sure it's dodgy.

It is true that crocs are territorial and they respect size [boat or other croc].
I have only once had a croc interested in me and my boat, and thats a good time to try another snag........
3.5m should see you right.

Dick Pasfield
28-04-2008, 10:40 PM
G'day Charles

I regularly fish the Ord in a 4 metre Dinghy, prior to that it was one at 3.7m. All I can suggest is that whatever you choose it wants to be able to get up on the plane quickly so you can leave the scene if required.

Having said that after many hours on the water its only been a couple of times I've been worried. Once when a head like a conning tower surfaced 10 metres from the anchored boat, we left immediately. The second time was when we got a bit too close to Brutus who was hogging a cow in mid stream. He swam directly at the boat with most of his body out of the water. We moved back about 30 metres and he went back to feeding while we looked on.

Here's a pic at a distance we didn't bother him

Why Not
29-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Barraholics picture isn't dodgy. Its one photo of a pro fisherman up here in the NT who appears to be teasing a croc, in another photo the lad was standing at the back of the boat pointing at the croc before it launched at him.
Crocs up here will stalk you if your doing the wrong thing. Cleaning your fish in the river or throwing the frame back in is a no no. Fishing in the same spot every morning or night is a no no. Don't stand too close to the water if you can't see the bottom. Crocs I've seen here in NT will show signs of agression when you get too close to their territory. Shaking their back, arching their back, blowing bubbles under your boat or simply surfacing next to you and giving you a good eyeball. Just keep your distance and show respect. I trawl within 15-20 feet of them here in Corroboree Billabong and most of them don't bat an eye.

TimiBoy
29-04-2008, 06:44 AM
I think the Navy have some ships that may be suitable.

wayneoro
29-04-2008, 07:17 AM
mate hard to say without knowing size of ya nuts and how fast u can paddle lol

maztez
29-04-2008, 07:58 AM
For years I fished the NT rivers and billabongs in a 3 mtr deep v Brooker with a 5 hp Mariner ,and never had a problem with lizards as they had only just stopped shooting them and any that were left were camera shy . We used to swim in the Mary, Daly ,Adelaide and alligators without any problems .
Theres no way I would do that now .As for the pic of the croc lunging at the outboard,a mate of mine had his tinny badly mauled along with the ob at Shady camp by the lovable "sweetheart".This was all back pre and just after cyclone Tracy.
cheers Terry

castlemaine
29-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Was in Cairns this time last year. Went on a tour up the main river with the guide showing us some of the local crocs basking in the sun. Rounded the corner and here's a bloke in a canoe and floro yellow lifejacket throwing lures around. Surely he couldn't be a local??? :-/

FNQCairns
29-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Wife came back from a work trip to Darwin a couple of months ago with the local rag for me because it had that photo on the front page.

Found out later through word of mouth the photo was genuine, the bloke was european and working here for a little while now and was teasing the croc for a bit of entertainment, they still jump the croc's for tourism up there??

The Wilder regions would be safer in the smaller sized boats I guess, less chance of coming across a croc that has been trained to perform.

Cheers fnq

Dicko
29-04-2008, 09:29 AM
That'd be this one.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2008/03/05/11152_hpphoto.html

I canoed the Wenlock & Jardine rivers up the Cape in my 20's.

Now older and (sometimes) wiser in my 40's I wouldn't.

Chuck Norris
29-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Thanks all. Had a good chuckle at a few of those responses! Based on that jumping croc pic I guess I will go for something along the lines of that little naval boat they use in that Sea Patrol show!! Does that thing come with torpedos?

cheers,

Charles.

CT
29-04-2008, 10:18 AM
I've done Lakefield (Kalpower) twice, Chili Beach, Weipa, Sesia (sp?) and most recently Bathurst Bay for 2 weeks in a 3.1 Allycraft with an 8hp Honda. I've never had any problems but mostly trolling.

We saw crocs that were significantly bigger than the boat....one would have been a genuine 5m+ croc....I still think over 6m! Right about then you will think about a bigger boat no matter what you are in!

Interesting to note that we saw many more crocs while trolling with the fourstroke than while trolling with my mates 2 stroke. So if you want to "feel" safe, take a two stroke and rely on "if I can't see them, they're not there!";D

You'll have a blast up there.

Cheers
Craig

Donny Boy
01-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Spot on Timi.....
I'd be taking HMAS Melbourne and dropping a line off the Flight Deck !!!!