PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Capacity stickers

mangomick
28-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Just had a guy tell me that he was talking to someone who was checked by the fishos and even though his boat was fitted with a builders capacity plate he was told that he still had to have a sticker fitted otherwise it would cost him $120.
I told him that the way I read it if the boat is fitted with a builders capacity plate then the stickers werent required and the stickers only had to be in place if the boat wasnt fitted with the manufacturers plate stating rated capacity.
In which case he would have to measure the boat and fit a sticker with the required capacity number punched out.
Am I reading the policy on the fitment of capacity stickers right or not:-/

BILLY THE KID
28-04-2008, 04:42 PM
from memory if the builders plate has carrying capacity on it AND IS CLEARLY VISIBLE from the drivers chair easily it will be sweet . may be wrong not 100 %

MTAQ/BTAQ
28-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I picked up a Capacity Label ( 1 for the boat and 1 for the jet ski) and a brochure from transport - the brochure states "all registrable recreational ships.....must have capcity label attached.....where they can be seen by the operator at all times".

Fish Guts
28-04-2008, 04:48 PM
if you log onto the msq website they will send you out a capacity label free of charge.

SummerTrance
28-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeh, ya need the yellow capacity sticker regardless of the manufacturers plate

Briannes
28-04-2008, 05:36 PM
My 5.5m boat has builders label for 5, MSQ labels states 6, rang water police Brisbane senior const says have to have label as per MSQ, but as long as you have life jackets for each person you can carry 8 if you like, but it is up to you, if in the event of accident law of common sense applies. it is only an offence to NOT carry or display the label there is no law that states how many you can carry at this time. from Brisbane Water Police.

seatime
28-04-2008, 05:53 PM
This is from MSQ's website:

Determining your boat's capacity
There are options to determine your boat's capacity.

Australian Builder's Plate or manufacturer's plate
Take the capacity information from the Australian Builder's Plate or the manufacturer's plate if fitted to your boat. If your boat doesn't have one of these plates, you should contact the manufacturer for details.
From 1 July 2006, all new recreational boats manufactured in Australia will show an Australian Builder's Plate. Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.
Capacity assessment tables
To calculate a boat's capacity, measure the length and beam (width) and match these dimensions in the tables below. These tables are also shown on the back of each capacity label. Perhaps this info is out-dated?
As already posted the Capacity Labels are free from MSQ and chandlery's, so to save yourself any grief stick one in the correct position.

Reel Nauti
28-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Personally, I can't see the point in them. The dept was handing them out at the t & t show and off you go home and push out the number and put in on the sticker. I believe the water police etc would know full well how many persons a boat that they may be intercepting can legally carry, long before they even say hello. So for whose benefit is the label? Are we considered to be that stupid that we need to look at it every time we take the boat out?

Just my rant.

Dave

Outsider1
28-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I think the capacity label idea came in after a couple of bad boat accidents in the 90's where boats where clearly overloaded. One in particular I remember at Port Stephens I think where a Bridge Deck Cruiser tipped over because of too many on the boat.

I presume it is supposed to be for the benefit of passengers and or drivers who are not also the owners?

Cheers

Dave

fishing111
28-04-2008, 06:53 PM
God I'm confused, if you have an Australian Builders Plate am I right in saying you need an additional capacity plate? I thought that was on the ABP?

Outsider1
28-04-2008, 06:56 PM
God I'm confused, if you have an Australian Builders Plate am I right in saying you need an additional capacity plate? I thought that was on the ABP?

These are the key words Paul251. Can you see the ABP from the drivers seat?,

Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate,
but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat.

cormorant
28-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I think the capacity label idea came in after a couple of bad boat accidents in the 90's where boats where clearly overloaded. One in particular I remember at Port Stephens I think where a Bridge Deck Cruiser tipped over because of too many on the boat.

I presume it is supposed to be for the benefit of passengers and or drivers who are not also the owners?

Cheers

Dave

Very sad one. Flybridge cruiser with kids in the bunks downstairs. Boat capsized as everyone was on the flybridge upstairs and I think at least one adult and more than one child died. Not sure if it is a rule but I note that all the current Flybridge cruisers I see have a sign saying capacity or persons allowed on flybridge. Not sure if this spec is also noted on the builders plate.

mangomick
29-04-2008, 05:53 PM
This is from MSQ's website:

Determining your boat's capacity
There are options to determine your boat's capacity.

Australian Builder's Plate or manufacturer's plate
Take the capacity information from the Australian Builder's Plate or the manufacturer's plate if fitted to your boat. If your boat doesn't have one of these plates, you should contact the manufacturer for details.
From 1 July 2006, all new recreational boats manufactured in Australia will show an Australian Builder's Plate. Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.
Capacity assessment tables
To calculate a boat's capacity, measure the length and beam (width) and match these dimensions in the tables below. These tables are also shown on the back of each capacity label.Perhaps this info is out-dated?
As already posted the Capacity Labels are free from MSQ and chandlery's, so to save yourself any grief stick one in the correct position.

Yeah , Thanks mate. Thats how I undersood it. I found the same info on the Net and sent it to my mate to pass on to the guy he was talking to.