PDA

View Full Version : mclay boats

sid_fishes
27-04-2008, 09:25 PM
well today i went to the t and t show, mainly to check out a boat for a baitboard for another member here, and while i was there i came across mclay boats at the mr t,s stand. it was the pro 680 crusier hardtop with the lockable wheelhouse, and i have to say that it is a piece of work. are there any owners out there that would like to share their thoughts on their own boats. the boat has a mile of room both inside and outside the cabin. enuff deck space for half a dozen guys to fish, but i have a couple of ? for anyone that has one.1] do you find the feul tank big enuff for your motor. 2] do they have a kill tank and 3] are they as good as they say they are. im not out to cause a debate on which boat i should buy , i,m just asking about the mclay boats. thanks for your input cheers ian

jeffbqld
27-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Ian

I cant answer your questions but I have attached a link to their web site. They are a good looking boat made in New Zealand. I have seen a few already around the ramps. They will cause a few headaches for the local manufacturers.

http://www.mclayboats.co.nz/

sharkymark2
27-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I also checked those boats out and was impressed with the build structure of top and bottom sides. I guess they build them tough for tough Tasman conditions.The only thing on a cursory glance was the short bunks. :) being 193 cm tall has its problems in a half cabin boat. Did you see the viper boats there? They looked impressive too.

lippa
27-04-2008, 10:01 PM
well today i went to the t and t show, mainly to check out a boat for a baitboard for another member here, and while i was there i came across mclay boats at the mr t,s stand. it was the pro 680 crusier hardtop with the lockable wheelhouse, and i have to say that it is a piece of work. are there any owners out there that would like to share their thoughts on their own boats. the boat has a mile of room both inside and outside the cabin. enuff deck space for half a dozen guys to fish, but i have a couple of ? for anyone that has one.1] do you find the feul tank big enuff for your motor. 2] do they have a kill tank and 3] are they as good as they say they are. im not out to cause a debate on which boat i should buy , i,m just asking about the mclay boats. thanks for your input cheers ian

g'day ian,

i own a 605 fisherman, and my thoughts are that they are trick!:D
my boat has a 270lt fuel tank, it was an australian built mclay.
a good friend of mine has just bought the 640 hard top from mr t's
his has a 150lt tank with a 200hp zuk, he went to the eastern side of wide today mucked around, back to murphy's then back to kawana for around 70 lts.
my opinion is that they need more fuel for australian conditions, i spoke
with neville from mclay at the boat show and told him this, he was straight on the
phone to the company in nz, they are looking at importing boats to oz with larger tanks, they dont need them there as the fishing grounds are so close.;)

they have a kill tank, well what new zealanders call a kill tank.
its the area in the cab where we would put a loo, or use as storage, its plumbed to the transom so it can be washed out, cause it so f$^^^ing cold over there they dont use them the same way we do.

they ride the sea awesome mate, feel safe as houses, ive been in two now and are rapt in there ride, trim tabs are a must imho.

they are priced very well too, 10's of thousands cheaper for equilent aussie boat builders

any more q's mate just shoot!

cheers

lippa

sid_fishes
27-04-2008, 10:02 PM
did not see the vipers, but i did see the vindicator and it looked good as well, but damn the cost of ally has made everything go through the roof . its nothing now to spend a $100,000 on a boat. dont get me wrong i know guys have to make a living ok- but it seems that what was a tinnie and tackle show is now trying to keep up with the boat show here on the coast.and where was the tackle?

lippa
27-04-2008, 10:12 PM
some pics!!!

lippa
27-04-2008, 10:15 PM
cbmncbjnfbgjhnf

nigelr
28-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Sid, I'd have one in a second if I had the $$$$$$$ atm.
Check out Boatpoint NZ, (if you haven't already) they have some beaut boats over there.
I'd buy this Ramco in 1/2 a second if it was 3 years from now........:'( , might be too small for your needs though.
Cheers.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2911811

Mtx
28-04-2008, 06:58 AM
They look good. Theo showed them to me when he first got one in.

is it just me though or does it look like it has been made by an ex stabi craft employee?

look rather similar :)

dnej
28-04-2008, 07:15 AM
nice,real nice

sid_fishes
28-04-2008, 05:30 PM
lippa, mate thanks for the reply and the pics, they do look the goods. i know mr t,s will bend over backwards to make the deal right , but it is a lot of money, but it is a lot of boat. that said they do need a bigger fuel tank[ about twice the size would be good] a kill tank for those mackeral things [ that didn,t show up yet] and a big arse raymarine guidance screen would be good to . guys thanks for all your replys. I JUST WANT ONE . cheers ian

darkside
28-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Lippa if you looked after your computer as well as you looked after the new boat , you wouldn't have a care in the world .:-)

Greg P
28-04-2008, 07:19 PM
they have a kill tank, well what new zealanders call a kill tank.
its the area in the cab where we would put a loo, or use as storage, its plumbed to the transom so it can be washed out, cause it so f$^^^ing cold over there they dont use them the same way we do.

cheers

lippa

Lippa - are you sure that that space is not just a built-in dunny on the mcLays :-X:P;D;D;D;D

Dean1
28-04-2008, 08:00 PM
The boats look good but who's the fat bastard sittin on the back drinkin a stubbie??

lippa
28-04-2008, 08:14 PM
it does get used as one greg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the missus puts a bucket there(ihope)!!! and i got get the boat dirty some how, i cant catch fish!!!!

put on a bit aye deano! weighing a fat 120kg's atm
this new child will shed some kg's of me!

pmsl leon, ive kicked the front off this computer twice already!

cheers lippa

Fredrick
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Greetings from Kiwi-Land! The home of good rugby! :)

Has anybody done the excercise of getting McLays to price up your prefered build and get it shipped to your fine country for it's final fit out.

They do custom of almost everything, including inboard stern drive setups ready for volvo/mercruiser if you don't want outboards, they do an extended cab version for those that don't like the weather or want a weekender.

Most of the larger models have large under floor locker which they can leave out to configure as a fuel tank area.

Kill tanks? I suspect that they are what we call live bait tanks?? They are a factory option.

NIWA (a govt agency that looks after water quality here got a big one built recently with no cabin, open boat, bloody huge but would make a great fish boat in a warm place.

By the way I don't have shares in McLay, just own a small one. They are like a proper 4X4, take it anywhere in almost any weather and it will get you home, not a girls boat and no space ever provided for hair dressers or politicians.

McLays are based near the southern tip of the south island and they build them for the roaring fortys. Most of the hard tops down here have rear bulk heads with doors so that we can keep out the weather when it's 5 degrees and hailing out side. It's fishing so it's good whatever the weather!

Fred

Check out www.mclayboats.co.nz (http://www.mclayboats.co.nz)

sid_fishes
16-05-2008, 05:01 PM
lippa,mate i just got an email from neville at mclay, stating that for me to have a bigger feul tank, kill tank that it would cost me $2000 more cause he would have to raise the floor height by 120 mm. not happy jan. cheers ian

lippa
16-05-2008, 10:25 PM
have a look at this one ian, may suit your needs

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=2929699