PDA

View Full Version : ANZAC Reds

Alchemy
27-04-2008, 06:38 PM
It had been two months since we'd had Alchemy offshore due to the relentless winds, so when I saw the forecast for this long weekend there was no question what we'd be doing!

Our plan was to chase a few nannygai, then hunt around some new ground. We set off from Ross Ck on Friday arvo, arriving at our nannygai spot around 5pm. Nic scored a nice little cobe on her first drop and I followed shortly with a grassie. Nic was using a 7" Gulp in Lime Tiger rigged on a single bottom basher rig while I stuck with squid. Next up was a grunter for me, then Nic scored two nice fingermark. Things went quiet, so we took time out for a feed.

Just as the moon was rising we got onto a few good nannygai. Nic's Gulp attracted three nannygai between 5 and 7kg, while I followed up with one on squid at 7kg. We decided that would do for the night and called it quits.

The fish were quiet Saturday morning, so we headed out a bit further. We had a fish at Morinda Shoal which produced an average small mouth nannygai for Nic then headed out to Broadhurst reef. We arrived in time for lunch, then spent the next couple of hours snorkelling.

I've been keen to find a legal red, so we set off on a search of an area I saw on the GPS chart that I thought might be home to a red. The bottom was quite flat, then a slight rise saw the depth go from 60m to 58m. On the edge of this rise was a very small show, with another couple of small shows a bit further on in the 58m area. In the past I would have given this a miss, but this time I thought we'd have a drop to see what was there.

First couple of drops were fruitless and I was thinking of moving on when Nic brought a bright red tomato cod to the boat. We went back to the start of the drift and dropped again. I had a couple of light bites, then my bait was smashed. A short time later and my first legal red emperor of 5.5kg was in the boat.

Nic and I were stoked, but given her great form this weekend I should have realised I would be outdone. When we went back for another drift, Nic's bait was smashed. It was clearly a good fish as she struggled to keep him off the bottom, but her patience paid off as a great red of 9kg hit the surface. We were both stoked at having scored our first legal reds in the same session. We went on to get another good nannygai of 7kg and a parrot from this spot.

Our 140L esky was full and we had to put Nic's red and the last nannygai in the food esky, so as the sun was setting we headed inshore to drop the pick for a comfortable night.

This was by far our best offshore trip since moving north 12 months ago. I think next time we'll do some more exploring to see if we can find a few more of those reds.

Regards,
Dave.

Alchemy
27-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Some more pics...

poundalead
27-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Those photos are absolutely sensational its a credit to you. Thats definately a few for the photo album well done! I wish my mrs understood my passion for fishing.

Cheers Benny

Wahoo
27-04-2008, 06:51 PM
some great fish Dave, good report

Daz

dfox
27-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Great effort Dave, it seems Nic is on fire every trip. Congratulate her for me! thats a great red (yours is just ok);D . Nice fingermark as well ... foxy

jtpython
27-04-2008, 07:34 PM
That is awesome pics and ya wife do great , mine gets seasick
Amazing photo's
JT

disorderly
27-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Wow...what a woman.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif
Nice effort indeed.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

bustastu
27-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Awesome fish. Great work. Fantastic conditions.

BS

Shanoss
27-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Well done Dave. Good quality fish. How do women manage to still look so clean when fishing? I end up looking like i ahve been rolling around in guts after the first hour or two.

snipe
27-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Hey Nic, seems you are making a nasty habit out of this, its great to see. Dave will start his standard whinge about putting everyone else on to the fish soon.

Awesome trip guys - good report DDD, ridiculous conditions, see you in a month - ( are you sure those reds weren't living in less than 30m of water )

RB

skipalong
27-04-2008, 08:11 PM
excellent quality fish crew

Fishbait
27-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Thats some nice Reds there! Great photos! You'll have fillets for months of them. Great stuff you lucky buggers!

Fishin_Dan
27-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Damn! You two are just going from strength to strength! Well done!!!

We'll have to get you back out to the Riverside & get some more stories from you!

Alchemy
27-04-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

Foxy, Nic comprehensively outfished me this time around (and probably the last too). That red of hers was awesome, and a great fish for her first legal one. I'll be trying harder next time!

Bob, good to hear you're starting to see it from my perspective. Sorry, but no reds for you if you stick with the 30m club mate.

Dan, happy to have a beer and talk fishing anytime. Have been out of town with work a hell of a lot this year, so my weekends have been all about fishing!

DP.

Yolo2007
27-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Some great photo's there. Nice job all round

revs57
28-04-2008, 06:45 AM
Nice Dave, yeah the winds have been relentless, good to see ya getting ya new grounds sussed, that takes some time too, the tomato cod are a brilliant looking fish - great photo's, don't feel too bad about being outfished by Nic, happens to me all the time too if I have Jac on board

Cheers

Rhys

Fisher4life
28-04-2008, 10:55 PM
Congrats on your firsts in those reds... They are both of good size too.

Sounds like you guys had a great weekend. My mouth is watering just thinking of how good those red emperor's taste.

Well done

Josh

Alchemy
30-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the support Rhys. I'm sure to have a better day next time? So far as sussing out the new ground, yes you are right. We really hadn't caught anything worthwhile until December last year, but things are coming together nicely now.

Hi Josh. The reds are good chewing, though we left the skin on and when it was cooked it was like rubber! Will take it off next and see how it goes from there.

Regards,
Dave.

Fisher4life
30-04-2008, 08:59 PM
yeah i always skin all the fish i catch, takes a little longer, but they all taste much better and freeze better (as you can cut all the blood out of the fillets...)

disorderly
30-04-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah i always skin all the fish i catch, takes a little longer, but they all taste much better and freeze better (as you can cut all the blood out of the fillets...)

yep..skinless, boneless fillets are definately the way to go for freezing..if you are worried about wasting the rib section then either smoke these offcuts or fry them and pick through the bones ...still very tasty.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

As for taking longer..well once you get the hang of skinning reef fish it takes no longer than 10 seconds a fillet to skin them..

Scott

george_lang
01-05-2008, 07:03 PM
great fish mate.You just have to like
that red color.

Well done

Alchemy
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi Josh and Scott,

I agree on the skinning. I always used to skin all my fish, but Nic loves to eat the stuff so she scales all the fish we catch. Personally I couldn't be bothered :-/. Normally the skin comes up really well, when deep fried but the skin on the red we fried was tough, and the sinew that goes from the skin into the flesh was also tough. We've never seen anything like it. Looking at a cross section of the skin, it looked like it had a layer of gristle, sort of clear stuff on the inside.

Before I cook the next batch, I will take the skin off and see how it goes from there. I am determined to get this right as I know how tasty reds are :D.

Thanks for your comments George and welcome to Ausfish. Red is definately my favourite colour, both in fish and boats!

Regards,
Dave.

Michael Sharp
03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Nice reds, sounds like a ripper trip. Great to see the lady's gettin stuck into it. hats off.