PDA

View Full Version : Tweed Session Sunday 27 April (longtail)

matt fraser
27-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Went out from the Tweed with Steve Wilson this morning. Steve dropped a decent fish early and then got a 2kg snapper next cast. My first bite for the day, took off away from the reef at a great rate of knots, and didn't stop for about 300m. We gave chase as the spool was nearly bare.

We regained most of the line and then it started dogging it out. After about 1/2 an hour of slugging it out we finally boated a very nice lontail. My first ever - geez they don't give up in a hurry. A couple of pics and we sent him on his way.

Got him on a Gulp 5" Jerkshad in Sardine, 1/4Oz 1/0 Nitro Saltwater Pro Jighead, 30lb Stren braid, 30lb Vanish leader.

We then tried several areas, for a couple of hours for no more decent hits at all. Just small bites and rubbish reefies. So we headed back into the river for a try for bream.

They were also really quiet. We got about 5 legals between us on gulps and blades. Plus about 8 small flathead. They only excitement was hooking up to an XOS Flathead. I had it on for about 10 minutes on 4lb vanish straight through. We saw it once and it looked 80 to 100cm. Eventually I thought I turned it and I quickly gained line, only to reel in a 30 - 35cm flathead with virtually no scales on it.

The big mama must have grabbed the little one as soon as it grabbed my lure, because I never felt the small fish at the start of the fight.

Would have liked to have put her in the net.

Still great day, my right arm is still aching!

Cheers,

Matt

jimbo59
27-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Nice lt what did he finally weigh? lovely photo's...jim

matt fraser
27-04-2008, 09:52 PM
G'day Jim,

We didn't have scales on board to weigh him. he went right on a metre to the fork, and we are guessing 12 to 15kg.

If anyone can make an informed guess on a metrey longtail, I'd be interested to hear what you reckon it would weigh.

Cheers,

Matt

Yolo2007
27-04-2008, 10:33 PM
They can be a real power house those fish...something to keep you on your toes

1lastcast
28-04-2008, 07:47 AM
What a nice fish there WELL DONE ! sounds like a cracker of a day .