PDA

View Full Version : What type of hub is this?

Bilopete
27-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I often hear the hubs on your trailer being referred to as either holden or ford. How can you tell the difference between the two?

I have attached some photos of my boat hubs...can you tell me which one this is?

Cheers

Bilopete

station-rat
27-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Ford or Holden referes to the size of the bearings in the hub

Bilopete
27-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks station-rat...so there is no way of telling until I take the bearings out?

Cheers

Peter

Steve B
27-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Ford or Holden referes to the size of the bearings in the hub

Actually ford and holden have DIFFERENT size hubs with different stud patterns, as well as different bearings. If you measure the distance between two of the studs and take that measurement, along with the serial number off you bearings to any boat/car shop that sells trailer parts ect, they have manuals that will tell you whether they are ford/holden hubs. make sure your measurement is accurate as there isnt much difference. I cant recall where you take the measurement from/to. If you give a boat shop or car wreckers a call they should be able to tell you.

cheers steve

jimbo59
27-04-2008, 04:50 PM
That hub looks ford to me they are 114x5 but it still might have smaller holden bearings.Holden are 120 x 5 i think from memory.

Bilopete
27-04-2008, 05:04 PM
That hub looks ford to me they are 114x5 but it still might have smaller holden bearings.Holden are 120 x 5 i think from memory.

how did you measure the 114mm and 120mm?

JohnWF
27-04-2008, 06:38 PM
That looks like a holden 13inch rim, so I would say they are holden hubs, BUT, some really old trailers had the 13 Ford rims.

Stud pattern does not necessarily give the correct bearing size, ie you can have a Ford stud pattern with Holden size bearings.

1) measure across two studs (from one stud to the second one away), centre to centre of the stud, Holden will be 4inch, Ford will be 4.25inch, and HQ/Commodore will be 4.5 inch (there is a slight difference between HQ and Commodore but not enough to worry about unless you are running Mags with mag type wheel nuts), that will at least tell you what type of stud pattern and wheels you have,

2) In most cases, Holden studs are 5/16inch whilst Ford are 1/2inch, but whilst rare you can get Ford hubs with 5/16inch studs,

3) If your axle size is 39mm round or 40mm square you should have Holden type bearings. If the axle is 50mm square they should be Ford type bearings.

Hope that helps, I think i got that right.

Oh Gee
27-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Ford Bearings have an axle diameter of:
Outer: 7/8” or 22.22mm
Inner: 1-3/8” or 34.92mm

Holden Bearings have an axle diameter of:
Outer: ¾” or 19.05mm
Inner: 1-1/4” or 31.75mm

Hope this helps.

Hydrotherapy
27-04-2008, 06:59 PM
The three most common wheels used are HT holden (early), HQ holden (late) and ford.

Pitch Circle Diameter (PCD) is the diameter of the circle drawn through the stud holes.

Early holden has a PCD of 108mm (4 1/4") 7/16th studs
Late holden " " " " " 120mm (4 3/4") 1/2" studs
Ford " " " " " 114.3mm (4 1/2") 7/16th studs
Landcruisers are 6 stud with a PCD of 5 1/2"

The bearings are a very different story. The two most common bearings used are holden and ford. The hub manufacturers make hubs to suit any combination of these. You could concievably have a ford inner and a holden outer or visa versa and it does not correlate to the type of wheel you have. You need to see the bearing number to determine what it is, all bearings are stamped with a number.

Holden inner LM11949
Holden outer LM67048
Ford inner LM12749
Ford outer L68149

As a general rule, the hub seal will be matched to whatever the inner bearing is. i.e - A ford inner bearing means the hub seal will have ford specs.

trueblue
27-04-2008, 07:14 PM
That looks like a holden 13inch rim, so I would say they are holden hubs, BUT, some really old trailers had the 13 Ford rims.

Stud pattern does not necessarily give the correct bearing size, ie you can have a Ford stud pattern with Holden size bearings.

1) measure across two studs (from one stud to the second one away), centre to centre of the stud, Holden will be 4inch, Ford will be 4.25inch, and HQ/Commodore will be 4.5 inch (there is a slight difference between HQ and Commodore but not enough to worry about unless you are running Mags with mag type wheel nuts), that will at least tell you what type of stud pattern and wheels you have,

2) In most cases, Holden studs are 5/16inch whilst Ford are 1/2inch, but whilst rare you can get Ford hubs with 5/16inch studs,

3) If your axle size is 39mm round or 40mm square you should have Holden type bearings. If the axle is 50mm square they should be Ford type bearings.

Hope that helps, I think i got that right.

7/16ths........., not 5/16ths

muzzytt
27-04-2008, 07:58 PM
the 114 measurement is distance between each wheel stud.

BM
27-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Bilopete,

You need the bearings out (don't forget the cones) and then you can get the correct replacement.

Some current model trailers (Dunbier I know for a fact) use both a Holden and a Ford bearing on the one hub in order to achieve to the load rating they desire. This is not all Dunbier trailers, just particular models.

So the simplest and most failsafe method is to remove what you have, get the numbers from them and replace like for like. Ford are actually easy to tell cos the inner hole is noticeably larger.

Most of the time when I am doing bearings on customers trailers they are Holden. In fact thats probably the case 95% of the time and regardless of Holden stud pattern or Ford, that is entirely irrelevant. When I order new hubs from one major mob here in Vic I can order Ford or Holden bearings and I can specify whatever stud pattern I wish to use.

Cheers

phewy
27-04-2008, 09:25 PM
As Nick has stated, occasionally you get whats known as composite bearings, meaning one Holden and one Ford (Slimline) bearing in the same hub. So do not take just one bearing down to the bearing shop...take both to be sure.
Get good quality bearings while your there.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/paulhew/general%20pics/trailerbearingsizes.jpg

jimbo59
27-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow thats pretty good information pictures, diagrams, words, this site is like having a dad that knows everything.

JohnWF
27-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Trueblue,

Correct, was a typo, holden studs are 7/16inch,

regards,

Angla
27-04-2008, 11:40 PM
My Dunbier trailer has Ford hubs that take ford nuts and holden bearings.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

I had to take the bits down to the parts shop and match the size. It was the simplest way for me.

I believe that the hubs have the same size bearing surfaces but it is the axle that is different in size of bearing surface. This means the stud width will not tell you what the shaftsize is.

Chris