PDA

View Full Version : Choice of Trailer Rollers

Splash
27-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Team,

I have just replaced all of my wobbler rollers (and not keel rollers) on my 20 yo dunbier boat trailer.

The photos show the old and the new.

All of the old rollers showed signs of cracking, age.

The new rollers feel lighter, harder, are narrower and do not have a bush in the middle (liek the old one has).

When I purchased these new rollers, the dealer said that these new rollers are used on brand new fiberglass rigs with dunbier trailers.

I have concerns about my selection of these rollers as they are harder, do not have a bush in middle and are narrower in width.

I need some re-assurance about this selection whether they are suitable for my rig (900 kg haines deep vee hull, with motor, fuel, etc) - with relation to potential marking and digging into hull, durability / life of new roller and reduced load distribution.

All new rollers do not impact on the chines and clear them well so there is no intereference there.

Can you advise?

Splash

Splash
27-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Who has trailer rollers similar to these?

Splash
27-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Are solid rubber rollers made any more?

Splash

Splash
27-04-2008, 05:23 PM
.................................................. .

Splash
30-04-2008, 02:56 PM
THoughts?

SPlash

Bilopete
30-04-2008, 10:32 PM
I have a 1997 custom Belco trailer and I tried replacing a couple of the original rollers. I found myself in the same "boat" (figuratively speaking) in that the new rollers were larger than the original ones and looked to be of lesser standard quality wise.

However I was able to adjust the height of my rollers to compensate for the difference in diameter. As for whether they are better quality, I haven't had them long enough to determine. The sales assistant informed me the new rollers can cope better with wear and tear and would outlast my old rollers...again yet to be seen!

In the end I didn't have much options but then again I only have a 4.3m tinny.

Cheers

Bilopete

Splash
01-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Thansk Bilo.

I am suspicous....

Sandman
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Splash, i have the same rollers, mate the one you have looks fine to me (the old one) I have replaced a couple however and took the old one in to compare size etc, mine were the exact size so you can still get them, i can see your concerns with the width and diameter a big difference. Ps i got a red not the grey, both are ok for glass boats dont get blue as its for steel.
Mick

Sandman
01-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh yeh am impressed your trailer is 20 yrs old :)

Splash
01-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Sandman.

I have already replaced all 24 off with the new ones.

SHould I change them back or are these new ones fine?

I am not getting much response..

SPlash