PDA

View Full Version : Eventful night at the banks last night.

Dean1
26-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Well i havent hit the barwon banks for a while so i thought id give it a shot. Myself, my mate Bretto and another mate Faron headed out yesterday morning (friday) at about 10 am. Trips rarely go as planned. Conditions were pretty ordinary once you got out about 10 miles due to the westerlies, but my kc ate it up sitting on around 23 kts comfortably. It was a good 20 kts 1.7m and it stayed this way till dark. Anyway tried an old mark on the northern end which produced alot of undersize specimens. Moved further south to find NICE shows, the 1st time tried plough anchor was hooking up nicely. Caught a few keepers but thought we'd move again as it was around 2pm and i wanted to nestle onto something rewarding for the night. 1st motor fires up, 2nd motor a no go. Wound the thing over and over, checked fuses etc. but no luck. Oh oh. Looks like were staying here for a while as i wasnt keen on running the anchor off in those conditions with one donk. A few more keepers came on board, but for about a 10 minute session the knobbies were on fire. Bretto pulls in a 5kg job faron another and myself a nice snap. I have to say i havent been smashed up so much for a long time as last nite. I was getting 3 gang 6 0's on 100lb mono leader cleaned up like no tommorow as for the other boys getting smoked. For the duration off the night we were getting belted. Stuffs me what they were but they were BIG. Ok so things go quiet so we TRY to turn the sounder on. Wont turn on. Tried to fire the one running motor to find fully dead batteries. Dam. It was a ghosttown out there last nite couldnt see another boat in sight. just enough power to run the VHF. Looks like a tow job. Were sitting quietly around 10pm, i jumped up to check my rod when i heard a rattle noise, i spun around to see Farons $2000 yes $2000 spin outfit get pulled clean into the drink. It happened that fast it was mindblowing. We sat there in amazement. He was real cut, a good lesson for him. We rode the night out to find a few boats around us this morn. It was slow this morn, faron lost a steamtrain but pretty dead. Lucky the motor JUST started so we headed in on 7kts for a long painful trip home of near 4 hours. I have never lost so many fish in all my life but i know one thing, ive never had a motor failure ever but having twin motors saved my arse today. What a trip, im so tired writning this its time to get some shuteye. Enjoy boys, we did even after the dramas. One pic i took late this arvo, very poor picture quality from my old mobile phone. Biggest snap about 5kg, 2 spangled emporers about 3.5kg, 23 fish in total things could have been worse. Oh yeah and the fisheries guys were at the ramp when we got back in at kawana, 1st time ive seen them there. They pulled every fish outa my esky checked me right out for flares epirb the lot. Make sure we are all abiding by the rules cause these guys dont muck around. Cheers Deano.

Mad Fish
26-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't ya just hate it when it all turns to Sh** At least it wasn't your $2,000 outfit and you did save a very expensive tow - Gotta be some brightside
John

skipalong
26-04-2008, 08:42 PM
that had to be painfull

lippa
26-04-2008, 08:59 PM
good to see ya finally nailed it deano!!
piss the smelly two bangers off mate and get some honda's!

cheers

lippa

ps, i want the marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean1
26-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Don't ya just hate it when it all turns to Sh** At least it wasn't your $2,000 outfit and you did save a very expensive tow - Gotta be some brightside
John Yeah john i was stoked when that motor fired up this morn. Faron is replacing the boss combo, whatever pulled that rod in had some power to it, it was freaky. It was propped up in the fish bin leaning on the rail. Id love to know what was nailing us. Dean.

Dean1
26-04-2008, 09:29 PM
good to see ya finally nailed it deano!!
piss the smelly two bangers off mate and get some honda's!

cheers

lippa

ps, i want the marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im thinking pretty hard about some yammie f60 high thrusts mate. Their nice and light and run up to 30kts. Sit very economically on say 23kts. Bit over the two'ys even tho theyve served me well till last nite. Sinker boil up soon i lost so much gear last night brother, talk soon.

Dougi
27-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Howdy Deano
I don't post a real lot but you got my attention with the motor going down.I have got a 5.6 metre cat which had twin 85 yammies 2 strokes and I replaced them with 2 brand new 60 for strokes yamahas last year.Fully loaded with 5 people on board I sit around 45 km's an hour on 5200 rpms and the fuel bill is excellent.I now get roughly 3 trips to the banks instead of 1. I have 2x105 litre tanks.The motors are paying for their selves very quickly.I did have 1 issue and that was when I was up at 1770. Motors had their first 10 hour service AND WE FISHED OUR FIRST DAY WITH GREAT SUCCESS and heading out on second day now with 15 hours up one decides to lose engine revs,I first thought bad fuel and slowed down and within minutes I heard a rattle from starboard motor,shut motor off and came back in on one motor,12kms an hour,5 hours later back at ramp very pissed off.end of fishing trip.drive all the way back to brissie and take boat in to yatala yamaha.turns out it was a oil pump problem[not working] did big ends on motor,they replaced the engine and I have had no more problems.now have 6o hours up and they are running as sweet as ever.Yamaha said it was the only 60hp motor to have ever done that.All fixed under warranty but a major piss off.Yatala yamaha were fantastic and really looked after me.If you want to pm me I will give you my number and talk a little more,I fish wide and get really good results.
Doug

kitty_cat
27-04-2008, 07:55 AM
what a adventure dean , hang out the new light weight suzus are almost here first glimps next month at sanctury cove boat show

nautical prince
27-04-2008, 08:33 AM
hi deano i just had my kevlacat re powerd with etec 90s from aus marine centre they gave me a deal never to forget $4000 each for me old 90 yammie 2 strokes with 290 hrs on em the new motors are great very responsive and great on fuel very happy fisho.

Dean1
27-04-2008, 09:44 AM
hi deano i just had my kevlacat re powerd with etec 90s from aus marine centre they gave me a deal never to forget $4000 each for me old 90 yammie 2 strokes with 290 hrs on em the new motors are great very responsive and great on fuel very happy fisho. Hi thanks for the thread. I see you had no luck yest morn. It was quiet you should have gone fri nite with the moon how it was. Did you mean iodine bream you were catching? We caught dozens of em dont eat them they taste awful. Do you have a 5.2 kc?? You got great dollars on your yammies for a trade in. Do you know roughly what litres/hour your using now with the etecs? Suprising you didnt pass me on the way in we left about 8.30am for a long boring haul back in. Cheers.

wadeo
27-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Gday Deano nice catch mate you certainly looked frazeled yesterday at the ramp. The DPI were still there when i came in after the dive expedition. Alot of people were getting booked for having under size fish and not cutting fins off reef fin fish. bout time they cracked down and made there presence felt. Was not one boat getting past them unchecked including myself. Pitty bout your brake down at sea. A few blokes i take out have mobile phone coverage on banks with telstra. Worth keeping in mind for when ya batteries go dead. your right if you didnt have twins you would have been up shit creek. good report mate talk soon.

regards Wadeo

hungry6
27-04-2008, 10:37 AM
LOL. was that you with the buggered motor at the bank dean? we heard it over the radio I didn't know it was u, we wer at caloundra wide, plenty if steam train lurking underneath. while I was asleep the boys got busted of allnight. In the morning after getting busted of on 80lbs leader. I deploy another whiptail on 150lbs leader on the end of the 20000stella. we still got taken to the bottom with the drag at virtually full lock. In then end we got quite a few and so went home on flat sea. we saw the coastguard head out from bribie and thought that was for you. anyway, atleast u got good fish and home safely. That the whole point of it. cheers
wayne.

Dean1
27-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Wadeo yeah mate i was fully exhausted by time got back to the ramp then the drive home to brissie was a mission especially when your mates are sleeping beside you. Good to see ya, yeah the fisheries found 2 of my tuskies i missed snipping but cool otherwise. They were booking people everywhere. Your trailer looks the bussiness now ;) Hey Wayne yeah mate that was me alright, i was talking to a mate on the mainland on the VHF, where are you Kel??? Wayne did you get that burst of knobbies about 5pm? I lay in the deck during the night listening to my baitrunner go zzzzz nothing, then thinking rerig AGAIN! A guy in a cruisecraft was circling me in the morn so i shouted out for a loan of his battery to get me fired up and he was more than happy to help thanks to him, lucky i got it going instead. I tried calling you a couple of months ago ill try you again during the week. Have to do a trip together soon. Gee it glassed out yest morn, too calm for the fishies too play i think. Deano.

Grunter71
27-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Hey Dean

Did you try to start the other motor on the way home?

I have the same motors as you and have found that if they get low on juice, the motors can be hard to start. They still turn over but won't fire up. After giving the batteries a boost with the charger, they noticeably turn over faster and fire up with no problem.

Dean1
27-04-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey Dean

Did you try to start the other motor on the way home?

I have the same motors as you and have found that if they get low on juice, the motors can be hard to start. They still turn over but won't fire up. After giving the batteries a boost with the charger, they noticeably turn over faster and fire up with no problem. Yeah mate i tried heaps on the way in. I pulled a plug out when i was out there and there was no spark, something electrical goin on. thanks for your input anyway, Dean.

SummerTrance
27-04-2008, 04:14 PM
John

Do ya get charged by coastguard if they tow you in ?

death_ship
27-04-2008, 05:15 PM
$120 an hour donation

supa29
27-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Yeah john i was stoked when that motor fired up this morn. Faron is replacing the boss combo, whatever pulled that rod in had some power to it, it was freaky. It was propped up in the fish bin leaning on the rail. Id love to know what was nailing us. Dean.

hey mate i was calling you all morning and all the way out i thought you must have gorn home early didnt even see your car at ramp but i will call you monday and i know what was ripping you to peices we ended at the nth end of cal wide and stayed the nite saturday. we were baged on snapper by 7 so moved further nth and found nice pearlies and some big honking AJ s and cobia. managed to land 4 3 AJ s and 1 cobia biggest aj went 35kg and the cobia was 30 mate i was ruted but i missed 5 more that i had know chance of stopping with 80 pound briad hooked a tiger shark and i thought i got him to the boat with skill but i think he was just having a look at us then he hit turbo and stripped 200m of braid of me in seconds.S ee you at work monday and make sure you keep that spot and i will give you this one i fished good to see you get some good fish mate and bretto to he will be chuffed well done kit kat.:D :P

Dean1
27-04-2008, 07:49 PM
hey mate i was calling you all morning and all the way out i thought you must have gorn home early didnt even see your car at ramp but i will call you monday and i know what was ripping you to peices we ended at the nth end of cal wide and stayed the nite saturday. we were baged on snapper by 7 so moved further nth and found nice pearlies and some big honking AJ s and cobia. managed to land 4 3 AJ s and 1 cobia biggest aj went 35kg and the cobia was 30 mate i was ruted but i missed 5 more that i had know chance of stopping with 80 pound briad hooked a tiger shark and i thought i got him to the boat with skill but i think he was just having a look at us then he hit turbo and stripped 200m of braid of me in seconds.S ee you at work monday and make sure you keep that spot and i will give you this one i fished good to see you get some good fish mate and bretto to he will be chuffed well done kit kat.:D :P Sweet mate i had the vhf off to conserve power in hope it'd charge back up enough as it did thank god. I tried you on the radio from 8.30 onwards till 3pm on ch 21. Shithot haul you got there you had more luck than us with the big 1's. You must have had some hardcore leader happnin. See you tomorrow and yes bretto is getting keener by the trip he loves it, cheers mate.

fishing111
28-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Dean you say you missed trimming 2 fish fins, are the DPI leniant if it's just an oversight or did they fine you?

MEGA'bite
28-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Only one thing worse than having a flat battery 70 ks off shore punching a hole in the boat and SINKING . good to here you were all safe at the end of the day .

backlash08
28-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey Deano - great that the outcome ended up how it did - well amanged on your part - good luck with the resolution
chhers
Craig

bigred77
28-04-2008, 12:45 PM
hey deano sounds like the fishing was good for a change,shame bout ur troulbles.heard on the radio when i was out, there was another boat that shat a motor an taken on water

Dean1
28-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Dean you say you missed trimming 2 fish fins, are the DPI leniant if it's just an oversight or did they fine you? Mate he was leniant and let me off luckily, only because i snipped the others i think. Its getting tough, you dont get away with much these days ::)

indy
28-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I feel for you Dean it is bringing all those memory's of us breaking down out there not all that long ago. At least you had the twins to get you back and a feed of fish to boot. Have you any idea what the problem with the motor is yet?

nathan dumschat
28-04-2008, 08:14 PM
g day there dean 1 , boat i fish out of has 2x60hp hi thrust yammies its a 5.8m cairns custom craft hysucat. does spot on 1 ltr/nautical mile all time . many pro mates run these engines and have heard reports of motors doing over 5000 hrs with out any problems. agree with kitty cat new suzzies worth having a look at as fuel is becoming a real concern as they are saying $2/ltr by chrissy

Dean1
28-04-2008, 08:15 PM
I feel for you Dean it is bringing all those memory's of us breaking down out there not all that long ago. At least you had the twins to get you back and a feed of fish to boot. Have you any idea what the problem with the motor is yet? Hi nah mate i had a quick look this arvo, ill ring wade my mechanic tomorow to see if i can swap parts from one engin to the other to track it down, another bonus of having twins. Hopefully its something simple. I dipped the fuel tank of the running motor and its BONE dry :o Was just about to run outa fuel by the looks of it, would have had fun getting fuel outa the other tank so coulda been even worse!! I see you got yourselves a very nice feed at 12 mile good to see its still alive, gee we pulled fish out there in the 90's. Thanks for asking ill keep you posted, Deano.

Spaniard_King
28-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Might need to keep a spare fuel ine in the boat incase you have to rig something to suck from the other tank hey Dean. Hope its an easy fix on the problem engine

Reel Nauti
29-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Hey Dean, I have a mate who had a similar incident of the CQ coast (rod overboard). He claimed it on his household insurance (told them the rod bounced out of the boat whilst being towed). Insurance paid without question.

Cheers

Dave

nautical prince
29-04-2008, 07:08 PM
hi deano i have the 21 offshore model 5.8 m 6.4 over all i have got anolog guages on so my fuel is not real accurate but from recent trips the fuel has halfed from filling up the next time i head out but am going to sort out the consumption accurately as i am in the boyne tennom hookup comp in Gladstone and will be doing a few nautical miles. but i will let you know how many litres per Km each motor is going through. yer the y were idione bream and they are just give aways to me abo mate he will eat anything.

REELWORK
29-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey Deano. I was out there on the Saturday morning about 500 metres from you. You were probably getting smashed up by amberjack. We landed one at 20.1 kgs and lost three more. Have never lost so much gear floating - 18 trebles to be exact on 120 lb leader and 80lb braid. We were in the haines half cabin and my mate was in the 625 outsider that offered you the spare battery. Glad to see you got home safely though. We ended up with a nice snapper @ 4.8 kg's, 5 gold spot wrasse and a shitload of undersize red throat lippers. Moved to the south of you about 4 km and got some nice parrot. Got back to the ramp, but no fishos on the coast guard side.

Dean1
29-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey Deano. I was out there on the Saturday morning about 500 metres from you. You were probably getting smashed up by amberjack. We landed one at 20.1 kgs and lost three more. Have never lost so much gear floating - 18 trebles to be exact on 120 lb leader and 80lb braid. We were in the haines half cabin and my mate was in the 625 outsider that offered you the spare battery. Glad to see you got home safely though. We ended up with a nice snapper @ 4.8 kg's, 5 gold spot wrasse and a shitload of undersize red throat lippers. Moved to the south of you about 4 km and got some nice parrot. Got back to the ramp, but no fishos on the coast guard side. G'day mate gee its a small world isnt it. Can you thank your mate again for me for offering a quick loan of his battery please, he even got it out ready but lucky it just fired up. Im hearing ya with the undersize redthroats, they must be thick down there! Good to see you landed an aj, your mate boarded a stonker as well he said while we were shouting from boat to boat. I bought one of those jump start battery packs this arvo so that i wont have that worry again hopefully. Good reality check i tell ya. Yeah went thru some gear alright, good to hear from you and lets hope were in for a productive winter. Dean.

supa29
29-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Sweet mate i had the vhf off to conserve power in hope it'd charge back up enough as it did thank god. I tried you on the radio from 8.30 onwards till 3pm on ch 21. Shithot haul you got there you had more luck than us with the big 1's. You must have had some hardcore leader happnin. See you tomorrow and yes bretto is getting keener by the trip he loves it, cheers mate.

:-* hey you big kitty kat next time you want to chase aj get your self a cup of cement and harden up cause they really will hurt you if you go easy. when you hook up you got to go flat out for at least 5 min and give it everything you got once you feel them give you their head you can start turning them. start with very short uplifts and fast wind down, the biggest mistake people make is to try and hold their rod up and hold the fish up off the bottom, you got to give it to them or they will blow you away. there not like flathead mate they dont like a dirty big hook in their mouth. fish hard or sit weeping
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dean1
30-04-2008, 07:44 PM
:-* hey you big kitty kat next time you want to chase aj get your self a cup of cement and harden up cause they really will hurt you if you go easy. when you hook up you got to go flat out for at least 5 min and give it everything you got once you feel them give you their head you can start turning them. start with very short uplifts and fast wind down, the biggest mistake people make is to try and hold their rod up and hold the fish up off the bottom, you got to give it to them or they will blow you away. there not like flathead mate they dont like a dirty big hook in their mouth. fish hard or sit weeping
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Thanks for the tips there mate ill store that in the memory bank somewhere. Havent caught a flatty for some time now, maybe coz my anchors been hookin up :-/ Just been catchin snapper and stuff, boring.... ;D Keep em comin Kel

northernblue
30-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Never a boring trip I see Dean, I might have to make a booking.....

tassie
01-05-2008, 08:14 PM
mate. we were out at wide caloundra on saturday gettin busted up on big gear as well. we did get a couple of them up though, big amberjacks were our culprits............8-) like a freight train towin a truck, good fun though.

Dean1
11-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Well i had my mobile mchanic look at my motor last week seems the problem is a blown stator. Had to be the most expensive thing electrical >:( Apparantly its not a common thing to happen, oh well thats boating for you Bring On Another Thousand. Cant wait to get it fixed and get back out for another session 8-)

supa29
11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Well i had my mobile mchanic look at my motor last week seems the problem is a blown stator. Had to be the most expensive thing electrical >:( Apparantly its not a common thing to happen, oh well thats boating for you Bring On Another Thousand. Cant wait to get it fixed and get back out for another session 8-)

well you are on the big money up there in the north so stop whinging and your single man you only spend your money on porn and fishing if you get desperate you could go jigolloo that will get you a fast $20 ok;D ;D ;D :P

Grunter71
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi nah mate i had a quick look this arvo, ill ring wade my mechanic tomorow to see if i can swap parts from one engin to the other to track it down, another bonus of having twins. Hopefully its something simple. I dipped the fuel tank of the running motor and its BONE dry :o Was just about to run outa fuel by the looks of it, would have had fun getting fuel outa the other tank so coulda been even worse!! I see you got yourselves a very nice feed at 12 mile good to see its still alive, gee we pulled fish out there in the 90's. Thanks for asking ill keep you posted, Deano.

Hey Dean

After coming back from the Banks on one motor I thought abou the same fuel dilemna.

Not sure how the fuel lines are set up in your cat, but if I ran dry, I was going to unhook the fuel line where it popped out of the floor on the dry tank, and unhook the fuel line on the bung motor at the primer bulb. Then plug the fuel bulb into the other fuel line, tighten up the hose clamps, give it a squeeze and you should be running again. Just have to be careful you don't trip over the fuel line running diagonally across the deck.

jarhead
13-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Nice bag mate, shame about the motor drama.

Wal

Outsider685
13-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah and the fisheries guys were at the ramp when we got back in at kawana, 1st time ive seen them there. They pulled every fish outa my esky checked me right out for flares epirb the lot. Make sure we are all abiding by the rules cause these guys dont muck around. Cheers Deano.

Hey Dean, interesting read there and glad you got back safe and sound. On a recent and very successful trip to Wide Caloundra we arrived back at Spinniker Sound Boat Ramp to be greeted by an extremely busy ramp. We'd bagged out on Snapper and Pearlies and had a few ambo's in the kill tank also with the snapper being mainly around the 6kg mark and the Pearlies around the 3kg...basically the point is they were all decent sized enough to visually assume they were legal. When we got the boat on the trailer, we must have waited in a line for about 40mins to get out of the carpark and that's when we noticed the fisheries had set up a roadblock on the way out and were checking every boat for safety equipment and fish....they even measured every single fish to make sure they were all legal. I couldn't believe it. I know they are doing their jobs but is it really necessary to measure fish you can see are far bigger than legal? It was a very long and tiring drive back to Brisbane after being delayed for so long mind you. The following trip from that we arrived back at the samp ramp to have a DPI inspector request permission to come on board to check our fish catch. He just measured the fish, recorded the details and that was it. All for Snapper research or something. I mean it's good they're doing their jobs...for the abiding ones of us that want a healthy future in our fish stocks, we rely on these guys to make it hard for us I guess.