PDA

View Full Version : Nearshore/inshore Cairns reports?

FNQCairns
26-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Looking to take the family out for a few hours this Monday to the end of the leeds or to Dbl Is and the wrecks weather permitting.

Anyone know if there are any Mackerel around or anything else close?.

Thanks fnq

Synful
27-04-2008, 08:17 PM
G'day Scott.

I took the tinny out today to try and blow the cobwebs out of the motor after it being garaged up for close to 7 weeks courtesy of the crappy weather of late.

Went to the closest wreck and got nothing other than a school mackerel which was 5cm too short; so he was returned to the water for next time and hopefully he'll be a bit bigger (damn they are fun!).

Mosey'd on out to the second wreck and there was a car park of 5 other boats there.
The sounder showed up some good size fish; only problem was that by 6 attempts I couldn't get my anchor to bite and get a hold so rather than annoy everyone I headed back to the first wreck after about 30 minutes of trying without success :-/

First wreck only had pickers so I headed off to Haycock island.
That produced only one sucker fish which was of course returned to the water after it had finished flapping around the boat.

Haycock did have some really good size fish show up on the sounder but nothing that would attack my bait :(

For the record, I was using pilchards; there were a number of good size garfish around 15cm long, so that may be the bait to use there as it is definitely a haunt that was full of them today.

Bransfords (Keith Graham) told me yesterday that the macks are hit and miss lately around Double Island but he felt that it was worth a look anyway.

disorderly
28-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Any mackies about ,Scott?.

FNQCairns
28-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks Andrew sounds like you had a good time, blokes get quite a few spanish from those wrecks, not tooooo long to wait now:)

Hi Scott didn't go out, went instead to Tinaroo for a bbq on the shore with the family.

cheers fnq

disorderly
28-04-2008, 07:08 PM
What happened Scott..?
The next week at least looks like crap weather.
But yeah you are right ...just a couple of months till the macks start to appear....cant wait for the spotties ...I am hoping it's a good season so I can get the kids onto a few...Bring it on ...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Synful
28-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Andrew sounds like you had a good time, blokes get quite a few spanish from those wrecks, not tooooo long to wait now:)

cheers fnq

Yeah, wish there were a few more fish mate, still one fish is better than nothing - even if it did have to go back :-/

Any ideas as to what wreck usually performs better for the macks, the first second or third?

FNQCairns
30-04-2008, 07:55 AM
What happened Scott..?
The next week at least looks like crap weather.
But yeah you are right ...just a couple of months till the macks start to appear....cant wait for the spotties ...I am hoping it's a good season so I can get the kids onto a few...Bring it on ...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

Nothing mate just an attack of the couldn't be bothered's, all the pre/post prep, towing 50k, dealing with old fuel for just a few hours on the water which will probably return little fishy result. Next trip will be to the shelf.

Yeah bring on winter!!

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
30-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Yeah, wish there were a few more fish mate, still one fish is better than nothing - even if it did have to go back :-/

Any ideas as to what wreck usually performs better for the macks, the first second or third?

Andrew I am far from experienced in fishing that area been there probably 15 times none of them serious fishing trips but would have a fish.

The second wreck is the go as is around the 1st, the third I still have trouble getting the hang of, cannot find anything worthy on the sounder and have never anchored up.

Buy a burly bomb drop it down to a couple of M of the bottom and fish heavy enough to for a Mack if they are around you should find out, floater also with a burly trail. Be sure to troll each way from Yorkeys if you have the time.

There is also a wreck nearshore in very shallow water SSW of the scout hat that can produce at times but I have yet to find it.

cheers fnq

Simmo2
30-04-2008, 10:14 PM
You are right FNQ there is a small mark between Taylors and the hat. I have trolled up a small sharky going over to the island.
In my opinion the second wreck, or what I believe was/is called butches mackeral grounds is the better.
Also as Andy said, it can be a carpark out there.....dont be afraid to troll around the area, keeping your distance. Spanish can be found in places that you would not even think of!! Set up your grid, and troll it, other sensible fishers will 'jump on in' your pattern and all should be good.

major-defect
03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Yeh Disorderly I hope the spotties run better this year than the last one.

disorderly
03-05-2008, 09:45 PM
G'day M/D...
Yep..last winter certainly was disappointing for spotties....
At least you have a bit of a birds eye view of what's going on spottie wise at the beach...last year mostly by the time I heard of some schools around, the buggers had moved on by the time I got out to 40 foot...I only picked up small numbers in dribs and drabs..
I'm looking forward to some better action this year I hope...

Scott

Synful
04-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi Scott and Simmo - thanks both of you for that info; stored into the memory banks for another day when the weather is better in terms of wind :)

Good news about the first wreck being a producer; nice not to have to go the extra 4km out for a feed and there seems to be a lot less traffic around the first wreck ::)

The NQ Fish and Boat guys seems to favour the first two wrecks as well.