PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Trailer Load Rating

whichway
26-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Hi

I went for a look at a second hand tandem trailer. the manufacturer's plate rated it at 1990kg, but there was another plate next to the original that had aQueensland Transport logo on it stating that it was rated at 3000 kg. The trailer had electric brakes on it so in theory it would comply with the higher rating.

The trailer was in pretty reasonable condition. The second plate didn't look like it came from the original manufacturer of the trailer.

Has anyone experience with uprating the trailer above the manufacturer's recommendation, particularly going above 2000kg. Apart from the upgrading the override brakes with a sensa brake or electric braking system, what else would be necessary.

Whichway

ifishcq1
26-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I am in the process of upgrading a trailer atm here is the site where I found the info..........http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/resources/file/eb849042963ccb6/Safe_towing_information_V2.pdf

Chimo
26-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Hi Whichway

I did one and as well as the brakes the springs and tyres etc had to be correct.
I got a letter from the trailer manufacturer certifying the upgrade from 1999kg after they checked it and I tendered this to the regn people. They then issued a new regn label that included the new carrying capacity. All now legal.

The site ifishcq has indicated is good.

Cheers
Chimo

whichway
26-04-2008, 09:01 PM
HI

So I might start with Queensland Transport. Do I need the manufacturer to certify the upgrade, or can I get someone else to do this. Probably only looking to go up a couple of hundred kg.

Whichway

Chimo
27-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Hi Whichway

In your first post you said it had a Qld Transport logo with 3000kg?

If that is correct wouldn't the regn label also state that figure too. If it doesn't then the logo is possibly BS.

If it does, then jobs probably been done and you would be legal and insurable.

If the regn label does not show 3000kg if it were me I would contact the trailer manufacturer (especially as you only want it to carry a couple of hundred kgs more) and get a letter that you can take to Q T as thats what they go on ie a re-rating. The regn desk people dont know more than you tell them, show them (hence the re-rate letter) I had 14'' wheels and suitable tyres on mine to start with and the springs etc were also ok to be re-rated so the manufacturer was happy to provide the letter.

What breed of trailer is it anyway?

Cheers
Chimo

SunnyCoastMark
27-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Hey Whichway,
Qld transport is the last place that you want to go. They won't even know themselves.

Main differences between a 2000kg and 3000kg are these:-

1) Must have electric brakes to both axles

2)Must have a safety breakaway system fitted to the drawbar supplying power to the brakes in case of accidental uncoupling.

3) Coupling must be rated to 3000kg.

4) Trailer must be fitted with Herc-Alloy safety chains and Hammer lock shackles

5)Axles must be rated to 3000kg. Meaning 2 x 1.5 tonne (at least) - So they need to be 50 square commercial axles with parallel bearings.

6) The only wheels that will fit the above hubs are 6 stud - ie; landcruiser; etc. You can get 14" rodeo wheels that will fit.

7)Of course the springs have to be rated to at least three ton also. - What is on there ATM?

Mark

6)

wrxhoon
27-04-2008, 08:47 AM
You don't need 6 stud hubs, ford 5 stud hubs are rated 1500 kg.

All the other above facts are correct but you don't have to have electric brakes either as long as they are hydraulic and have a brake away system.
Can be vacium with a booster on the trailer, sensa brake compressed air actuator or electric actuator but then you need a battery on the trailer ..

In your case your cheapest option would be to go to the manufacturer and ask them to re-rate it. You can get an engineer to do it too but you will have to pay $$$$. Forget about the RTA, they only go on the plate .

oldboot
27-04-2008, 11:46 AM
If the trailer in question has a modification plate attached it has been an engineered modification.

Said modification plate should show the details of the modifications and should be tracable.

I have a feriend who had some mods done by a trailer place, because of the pre approved configurations in place it was easier for him to have the trailer modified and regisetered as a new trailer. otherwise the mods would have had to be engineered on an individual basis.

If it is a boat trailer the manufacturer may have pre approved configurations on that chasis, so it is worth asking them.

otherwise the mods would have to be engineered or otherwise approved.
I don't know if QLD transport do "over them pit " inspections for trailer approvals these days. At one time they did ( I understand).

There are two point where the whole thing gets harder.
under 750KG a trailer can basicly be " home engineered " and self assessed using the guidelines.
Over 750KG, you have to get a "qualified person" involved for a number of matters.....ie you need a safety certificate to transfer rego
over 2000KG, they step it all up an other notch, because they view it as some sort of heavy transport.

cheers

whichway
27-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi

thanks for the input.

I have a Dunbier, fairly new. I have been over the weighbridge and am at 1980kg fully loaded, but that is a bit close for comfort. I am not sure that the manufacturer will want to be involved in the upgrade, because that would deprive them of a sale. I don't want to go to 3000 kG, 2200kG would be fine.

I will talk to Dunbier, but if they don't want to play ball, can I go to another trailer manufacturer see if they will help.

Whichway

Dantren
27-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Whichway,

I am very interested in what Dunbier has to say.

Would you have the trailer model no handy at all????

Thanks,

Dan.

FNQCairns
27-04-2008, 06:28 PM
An engineer will do it for you, one of the ones the department recommends for vehicle mods, there is a list on their site somewhere or they will name a couple over the phone, after all it is still a vehicle.

cheers fnq

sempre
27-04-2008, 07:53 PM
I did this about 2 months ago , went from 3200 to 3500 to sell my trailer .
It wasn't that bad - All i did was get a certifier to go over it , the list of them is available from Trans Depo .
But it all depends on what sort of condition your trailers in , if they see a fairly new trailer with no rust they may not give you a hard time .
Remember they may want to do failure and stress tests on axles , draw bars and all sorts of stuff , and it can easily cost up to 800 dollars to do these tests , as per some of the quotes i got .

whichway
28-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Hi

I suppose think about it, I wonder whether I could just go to a local trailer manufacturer, not necessarily a boat trailer manufacturer, and get them to do the whole thing - mods and certification. Anybody know who could do this?

Whichway

SunnyCoastMark
28-04-2008, 07:44 AM
You don't need 6 stud hubs, ford 5 stud hubs are rated 1500 kg.

All the other above facts are correct but you don't have to have electric brakes either as long as they are hydraulic and have a brake away system.
Can be vacium with a booster on the trailer, sensa brake compressed air actuator or electric actuator but then you need a battery on the trailer ..

In your case your cheapest option would be to go to the manufacturer and ask them to re-rate it. You can get an engineer to do it too but you will have to pay $$$$. Forget about the RTA, they only go on the plate .

WRXHOON:-

It's not the rating but the hub size - A Ford stud pattern wheel WILL NOT fit over a hub with parallel bearings. You would have to have the centres machined out and generally that would compromise the rim in some way.

Mark

Chimo
28-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi WW

If your only looking to increase the thing from 1999 to say 2200 0r 2500 perhaps it would pay to check the specs on the model trailer you have with the factory built ones with the carrying capacity you want. Dunbier must list the capacities of their trailers so just check the differnce between models ie yours and one they sell that carries what you want.

Either they are close or they are not.

If yours has 13' wheels then you will probably need to go to 14" which will mean quite a bit of new stuff inc mudguards.

I forgot to mention earlier that my originally rated 1999 trailer was built over spec with 14' tyres etc so essentially all I had to do was change the pull to a 3000kg and instead of the hydraulic piston overide brake and fit a hydrastar elect breakaway braking unit which has a battery fitted on the trailer.

Then I got the letter from the trailer manufacturer and the re-regn to higher carrying was just a quick trip to QT who changed their records and issued a new certificate and regn label with the increased carrying details.

Thinking about your situation I wonder if when you cost things, it may be easier and less hassel to just get a new trailer. Guess it depends on what your research of the Dunbier specs and maybe a call to their factory reveals.

Your going to need the Dunbier specs even if you go somewhere else cause if you dont get the info you will paying someone else to do the same thing at whatever their hourly rate is anyhow.

Gee trailers are great fun are they not, not.

Cheers
Chimo