PDA

View Full Version : Whats your anchor caught?

cbruh1
25-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Was fishing with a mate of mine today around the the bay, after a pretty good little session we decided to pull the anchor collect the crabs pots and head back to the ramp home.

So me being a good skipper I get my mate to lift the anchor, as he is doing this i am on the motor ready to get going, so he had pulled the rope in and now at the chain pulls it in and then gets to the end of the chain to pull in the anchor, and what should come up is an old rusty rectangle crab pot that had no name, no float or rope and no crabs in it either, so after a bit of untangling brings it into the boat, so rather then drop it back where is came from to pollute the floor or entrap an innocent sea creature. We took it with us and left it in a waste bin.

So have you ever been outdone my your anchor? what has your anchor caught?

Cheers Callum

Outsider1
25-04-2008, 10:23 PM
An abandoned heavy fishing net.

Not something I want to repeat, quite scary actually!. I was a real struggle to get the anchor up, but there was enough "give" to stop the anchor rope breaking. When we realised what it was the concern was not to get the boat tangled in it. It was in quite sloppy conditions, an afternoon NE had kicked in and we were heading in.

We came close to cutting the anchor rope a few times but managed to finally free the anchor. We would have like to have taken the net in with us for disposal but it was just too dangerous.

As I said, not something I would like to repeat.

Cheers

Dave

TimiBoy
26-04-2008, 05:39 AM
As a young 'un was fishing on Coffin Bay (SA) with Dad and his Mate, and a ruddy great, very pi##ed off bright red octopus came up with the pick!

Mate had a hatchet on the boat, and the occy was gone! Scared the crap out of me, all I could think of was the Kraken!!!

I don't carry a hatchet on my boat...

Timfishin4fun
26-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Down the pin oneday, and as I retrieved my anchor I also pulled in a mess of 3 other anchors with chain and a small amount of rope.

Was able to salvage 1 of these which was in vgc for my little boat.

Tim

dreemon
26-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Out at tallabugera one morn we dropped the anchor near the hwy bridge, then I noticed the boat was taking water, once again...... shite !! the damed bung ! turned on the bilge pump and told my mate to pull anchor up, he was going on saying its stuck ! so motored off to free it but ended dragging something 10 m, so stuck a rag in the bung hole to help lift the anchor, Wow, this is really heavy ! couldn't lift it into the boat so tied it off, it looked like a big rock with heaps of barnicals , got back to the ramp and turned out to be about a 30 hp tiller outboard, asked this guy at the ramp that was getting fishtank water if he has seen my bung, sorry mate , dont see any bong here, found my spare bung, but caught nothing else.

garman1
26-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Not talking exactly about anchors, but crab pots though............ my wife and I were fishing from a jetty and she got 'snagged" on something, but she was determined to reel it in, till the line broke,she is fairly small so after 5 mins of fighting this "snag" she landed on the jetty a complete crab pot.. no crabs though.

She gave it to a young kid who was fishing next to us......................................

Garry

Awesome
26-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Twenty odd years ago as very young & inexperienced boaters me & my mate took a day of work & fished Tiger Mullet channel At the Pin in his ski boat which sat very low in the water.
To cut a long story short he had just got a new anchor & rope, must of been about 200m of rope I reckon,the whole lot was out.
We had no chance trying to pull the anchor in against the current, so started the motor & motored forward. With that much rope out it ended up wrapped around the prop. The boat was now anchored by the motor.
As I leant over the back to untangle the rope, waves were coming in & filling the boat fast.
Quickly got the knife to cut the rope but as I leaned over the back the boat capsized & we were swimming to shore.
So I guess you could say the anchor caught an outboard..............

spelchek
26-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Was fishing the southport seaway one night on an outgoing tide in a 12ft tinney. We tried to lift the pick but it seemed stuck. After a quick scratch of our heads we tried again and found we were able to sloowly pull in the rope - but it was a real struggle.. something heavy was atached to it obviously. We kept slowly pulling it in - all the while speculating on what it was... Finally got it to surface.. was a huge mess of 6 anchors and chain all tangled together with our anchor (so 7 in all).

Finally got em all in the boat (whos gonna throw away 6 free anchors) and we both look up for the first time since we started the 'struggle'... imagin our shock when we see we have drifted WAAY out of the seaway with the outgoing tide. We had 2 full big plastic live tanks (we were attempting to catch some stripies for my mates honours project) , 2 big fellas, an esky and now all these anchors. Thankfully even tho a big swell was running, there was no chop as we didnt exaclty have much hull above the waterline :)

Scared the shite outta us actually - land looked a loong way away .. we motored in very sedately. Ancored back up in the seaway... had a beer and had a 5 minute collective 'phew - break'.

Then started fishing again and found we had a school of giant herring just out the back of the boat - a seriously fun session ensued :)

cbruh1
26-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the storeys guys, glad to see its not just me who has pulled up an unexpected friends from the floor.

Keep them coming if you have got them.

Cheers Callum

lifestyle
26-04-2008, 06:14 PM
When I Was Young And Fishing With My Grandad In His Boat We Through The Anchor Over . When It Was Time To Leave We Pulled The Sand Anchor Up As You Do And Their Was A Sand Crad Stabbed In The Middle Of The Shell By The Anchor . This Was About 20 Years Ago Now Up Near The Red Bouy In Deception Bay.

tunaticer
26-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Apart from two lost pots, the best thing I have brought up with the anchor was a Snyderglas Mag-Jig rod and a TLD15 with about 150m of line left on it. My guess is it was underwater for less than a week as the gold chrome was just beginning to corrode off and the reel still had grease looking grease in the gears. Could not find a previous owners address or name on anything tho.......

Jack.

spelchek
26-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I dont suppose that was in Darwin Harbour was it Tunaticer.. I was up there about a year ago on a charter and a boat near us pulled up a rod and overhead - Im sure it was a TLD.

SNAPPAFLICKA
26-04-2008, 09:32 PM
i scored a fold up camping chair on the end of the anchor up the pine river,it looked like it had been there a while but .

Cammy
26-04-2008, 11:05 PM
It wasnt me , but there was another thread or post on here, About 2 guys that were fishing and there boat just started moving and drifted them out for a couple of k's without them realising, after an hour or so they decided to pull the anchor up and it was really heavy, and found out that it was a mantaray that had its wing caught on the rope or something.:o

mabye the real story teller might shed some more info on the subject.??:D

The only thing i have pulled in was on my rod and it was another rod, lol

Cammo

cbruh1
26-04-2008, 11:16 PM
it wasnt me , but tehre was another thread or post on here, About 2 guys that were fishing and there boat just started moving and drifted them out for a couple of k's without them realising, after an hour or so they decided to pull the anchor up and it was really heavy, and found out that it was a mantaray that had its wing caught on the rope or something.:o

mabye the real story teller might shed some more info on the subject.??:D

Cammo

holey cow. a mantaray, that would have been interesting. Would like to know how you manage to drift a couple of kms and not notice, maybe if your out offshore and can no longer see land i spose you can't really tell what one patch of water looks like to another patch of water. More info would be good for this one if they have got it.

Cheers Callum

the gecko
27-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I pulled up a shopping trolley under the chevron is East bridge. I was silly enough to anchor there again, and pulled up another trolley 10 mins later. Didnt go back there again....

There was a post here 2 years ago about a guy who got his anchor tangled with a whales tailfin off the GC. He managed to cut the line, but that would have been real scarey.

Andrew

RAGINGBULL
27-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Fishing Sullies about 2 years ago a beautifull day, Anchor down and the boat takes off and starts to go under the water the wave rushes over the V17R windscreen and then the rope snaps and we all get jerked off our feet.
A whale runs into the Anchor rope
Funny thing was i saw the whale on the sounder and was about to comment about the bait ball under the boat
We never actually saw a whale approaching

It actually had some resemblence to a whale on the sounder??

I Lost the lot and i think some some more grey hairs sprouted ??

Cheers Mark

TheRealAndy
27-04-2008, 06:39 PM
I pulled up a bicycle in the middle of moreton bay once. Odd spot to find a pushie.

dfox
27-04-2008, 06:56 PM
As kids we were fishing up hayes inlet at night and our anchor dragged on retrieving it we found the rope was tangled on a dead horse, it had been dead for some time. That was nearly 30 years ago and im still trying to get the smell out of my hands. :) ;D :) ... foxy

cbruh1
27-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Bloody hell, we got octopus to whales to dead horses and then shopping trolleys to bikes to rods.

If we banded together we could open a seconds shop with a seafood cafe on the side.

Thanks for the storeys guys.

Cheers Callum

Heath
27-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Fishing at Palmy one day for spotties and were getting a few too. We bagged out and were pulling up the anchor rope when I find a bloody spotty that I busted off earlier had got caught round the chain. It was dead.
Great now over my bag limit! So gave it to the boat next to us .

SeaHunt
28-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I caught the bottom once, quite a few times actually ;D
I caught the anchor of the boat fishing beside me, luckily I was there first so he couldn't bitch.

Also caught a wreck once, its still got my anchor.:'(

ronnien
28-04-2008, 11:21 AM
fishing in the ross river my mate was having a hard time pulling up the anchor so i give him a hand both of us were busting our guts when we got it up there was a very old & rusty huge wagon wheel on the end, another time out in the bay we hooked onto a snaged trawler net took a while 2 get it off & we still anchor close 2 it today cause big fingermark live there.

ron.

SummerTrance
28-04-2008, 03:12 PM
These stories are tops.

About 2 months ago my anchor pulled up another rusty old anchor, with one of my hooks and leader attached, which i had got snaged a few days b4. Got my hook back still in good condiction.

cbruh1
29-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the great read fellas

;)

dezza1994
29-04-2008, 10:26 PM
As kids we were fishing up hayes inlet at night and our anchor dragged on retrieving it we found the rope was tangled on a dead horse, it had been dead for some time. That was nearly 30 years ago and im still trying to get the smell out of my hands. :) ;D :) ... foxy
pwor that would of stank real bad..

Dignity
01-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Was fishing the pin in Tiger Mullet Chanel quite a few years back and about midnight decided to shift spots. Anchor wouldn't come up, but found that I could go in reverse with the motor albeit very slowly. Reversed all the way to the end of TMC and we beached the boat in reverse and the two of us pulled the anchor in to retrieve the entire top half of a tree. The would probably have been the odd anchor stuck in there but once we got ours free we weren't going to spend any more time waist deep in the frezzing cold to investigate. There wwere plenty of fresh leave still on the tree so it had washed in from somewhere upstream as it didn't look like a mangrove of any sort.

batten
20-10-2008, 05:57 PM
my uncle was telling me he went to pull up anchor once on wot he thort was a rock in the middle of nowhere, couldnt pull it up but he dragged it 2 a near by beach, went 4 a swim and found he had hooked half an old rusty beetle, with 2 other anchors in it

trueblue
20-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I've pulled up another anchor stuck to mine.

iceknight
20-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I remeber about 12 years ago i would think. either it was on brownies. or was on the news. 2 fellahs had been fishing and pulled there reefpick in. to find a massive grouper caught on it, anyone remember that?

spears
21-10-2008, 02:02 AM
Got a rod and reel..only a few weeks in the water.minimal rust..gave it to my crew.
Just a cheap combo.

reidy
21-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Seen to ye old caught a boot cartoon.yep size 8 mans gunboot hooked on anchor behind Garden Island on the Tamar.
Cheers
Reidy

blueline
21-10-2008, 09:27 PM
I think my chain rapt around a rock .i was on a ledge from 30 m up to 15 and stoped on a nice bomby when i drove my pick off the nose didnt pop back up i then saw we were back in 30m so this thing was just dangling there i asked my mate can he pull it in and he said no way (while he played a tune on the rope) so we couldent even untie it so i drove up to shallower water and gave it some slake and it came off. the only thing i didnt like about it was the gps said formaly mined area so i was trying not to think of what i was hooked on!.

Dirtysanchez
22-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I hooked onto an old piece of train track in the hawkesbury once, tried to dive down to get it, but earlier a small hammerhead had been chewing on the burley bucket, so I went a bit girly man and decided to cut the rope instead :(

duncan mcwhirter
22-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Well this wasn't caught by my anchor. But I went fishing on the river not too long ago landbased, and was having one of those days where i threw the cast net out and the cord jumped off my hand so i lost it, then one of my rods got a big hit and took off into the middle of the river without me on the end of it. A few swear words later i got back to fishing and thought i had a snag. Pulled it up and on the end of the line was my rod that had just took a swim and attached to that was another rod that had oviously been in the drink for a while. Amazing. I also managed to get my cast net back too!! Smiles all round!!

MEGA'bite
22-10-2008, 08:24 PM
MUD how exciting

Ozie_3
24-10-2008, 03:27 PM
back round '71 in the hawksbury i pulled up a submarine cable, bloody hard getting it off the sand anchor....
then not long later was fishing, mored across the current when a prawn trawler went pass a little close, caught my anchor and dragged us sideways for a bit till i caught the d**kheads eye....never did get that pick back...

neither of which i want to repeat...

cheers Chris

BAT
25-10-2008, 11:09 AM
About 18 years ago a fella died when he jumped of the Grafton bridge and hit the walkway on the way down. I remember watching the S.E.S and police boats towing reef picks around trying to find his body. Didn't see them jag him, but they did recover his body and I guess that's how they done it.

Cheer's BAT.

ThePinkPanther
25-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Many years back I had a Haines 680 SC with a 225 Johno on the back and used to fish wide of Moreton.

On a popular though very size-limited pinnacle I tried several times to get my lead filled reef anchor to hold kind of close to the other boats - as you had to to get the fish!

With no success and using the ring recovery float system, I charged off to pull the pick and after hearing a great deal of shouting and yelling, realized I was happily dragging two other boats off the reef having successfully pick up BOTH their anchor ropes.

Being a true man and happy to own up to this stupid action, I cut the rope and ran like all #hit to get away!

I guess they got my damn anchor after they sorted out the mess!

wayno60
26-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Bat, you mean the big steel bridge with the bend at the western end.....if he jumped off that he wasnt planing on being able to have another go....

BAT
27-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Bat, you mean the big steel bridge with the bend at the western end.....if he jumped off that he wasnt planing on being able to have another go....

That's the one! as kid's we used to jump off the top, as the foot bridge got boring after a few times. The trick was to have someone breaking the water where you would hit and make sure you didnt hit the walk way. The size 9 local cop's hated it.

Cheer's BAT.

nicko_
30-10-2008, 09:41 AM
sitting off the pinkenba rock wall one day and decided to lift the pick. it was a real struggle to get it up but finally saw it was an old crab pot that had been filled with rocks. didnt want to send it back down but it snapped as we lifted it out of the water.

boatboy50
30-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Guys,

A few years ago we had use of a luxury pontoon boat for a weekday.

Enjoyed a nice lunch with beers and prawns anchored just west of the highway bridge on the Pine River.

Come time to head back, we pull up the anchor with a lot of deadweight on the end. As it exits the water we are shocked to find a rifle perfectly caught by the flukes of the anchor lengthwise.

I'm not much of a gun man, but it was easy to see it had been in the water for a very short time, and was an assault rifle of some kind.

We gently undid it from the anchor and left it of the front fishing deck.

On trailling the boat back, we stopped at a police station on the way through, and handed it back, and gave them the story.

About a week later, we got a call from the cops to tell us it had been used in an armed robbery that week and we had to come in and do a statement.

They were still able to get prints off it and eventually caught the guy.

Every time the anchor comes up now I look at it with anticipation of the next find.

Regards

Darren

tunaticer
30-10-2008, 05:06 PM
There must be lots of guns on the bottom waiting for an anchor to find them i guess. Several years ago I did a canoe run up as far as possible in Nundah Creek. Found a safe that had been cut open and tossed into the creek. it barely cleared the bank and would only be underwater at the top of the tide. Cops didn't show too much interest in it because it was so muddy there.

Jack.

Davey
03-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I lifted a shopping trolly up with pick in the middle of Morten Bay once.
Not an easy task!

Scott nthQld
03-11-2008, 03:00 PM
I lifted a shopping trolly up with pick in the middle of Morten Bay once.
Not an easy task!

hmmm sounds like someone had started their own little arty....

and YOU had to ruin it for them lol::) :D

ffejsmada
03-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Believe it or not, about 25 year ago in the southport broadwater, before the seaway was built, a mate threw out a shiny new sand pick and a tiger shark grabbed it on the way down and towed him for a bit.:o

He eventually got the noah to the surface and yanked the anchor out of it's gob!!

True story.

fghjkl
03-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Another anchor and chain lol. Dunno how my lil anchor pulled it up, it was brand new still had barcode sticker on it and rope had been cut.

Cheers,
Joel

Madaddy
03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I seem to have an attraction to the old cables in Moreton Bay.
I've donated only one stainless steel sand anchor to the arty's but have lifted and repositioned many steel cables. My anchor was decomissioned after the 4th battle of the cables in 2 days, sore backs, muscle pains, blisters and callists, no fish, time to head home, and the decision was made that the last cable wasn't going to budge after a 40 min battle, so me and me decky lifted as much rope as physically possibe and give old faithful the snip. :'(

I hope it creates a beautiful home for some sea critter to live around, but it's probably covered in developers silt by now >:(

Crocket
04-11-2008, 07:53 AM
This is kind of related...

I scuba dive alot and one of the most common manmade things I see (apart from bloody plastic bags!) are anchors with a short cut length of rope swaying off them, wedged into a rock crevase.

I was diving once, and this boat pulled up over the top of us, they did a few circles and killed the motors, then a bloody anchor came flying down at us, only missing us by a metre or so!
So someones "Whats your achor caught?" story could have been "Yeah, once I caught Crocket" :o

sparkyice
11-11-2008, 04:50 AM
my brother has an anchor made for fast water river fishing.
the chain is fastened at the bottom of the flukes with a clevis, and at the front of the anchor with a nylon tie wrap.
if the flukes get wedged in, with a good hard pull the wrap breaks, and the chain pulls the anchor out backwards.
it's quite clever, kind of a locally made thing from where he lives.
i'll try to find a picture to post.

i once brought up the remains of a long dead deer wrapped up in a small tree.
EEWWW!!!