PDA

View Full Version : Lest We Forget

webby
25-04-2008, 07:57 AM
We Shall Remember Them

ffejsmada
25-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't you mean

Lest we Forget........................ ::)

( edited )

Shagga
25-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Well said Webby.

Lucky_Phill
25-04-2008, 01:35 PM
This day is always sad for me, but I stand proud and honoured to be an Australian.

I will never forget.

Phill

Chris Ryan
25-04-2008, 01:50 PM
It is a mixed feeling day for me. I think of grandparents who fought in WWII, Uncles and Family Friends in Vietnam and the sacrifices made by them.

I also look at my family and stand proud and say I am Australian. These sacrifices were made by others so my young family can live here in freedom. These sacrifices allow us to type on this forum freely, take our boats out and enjoy our time with our loved ones.

Thank you to the diggers who frequent this site and those past on. We owe you an enormous debt of gratitude that will take lifetimes to repay.

Lest We Forget.

longtail
25-04-2008, 01:52 PM
suprised this has not been moved/deleted yet , I started a thread with the same title last night and it vanished within 30 mins:o

webby
25-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I suppose the SSSSSS ???? does come before the TTTTTT????

( edited, Brian,,,,, looks better ) phill

BobbyJ123
25-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Waiting for the local (Seaforth, Qld) service to start, I took this pic.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w44/BobbyQld/Cheeky060.jpg

dogsbody
25-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks Diggers.

Dave.

Keechie
25-04-2008, 06:30 PM
today is not as sad as some but i always fish on this day so that way i get some quiet time to think about my relatives that died such as great great uncles that were my age that died. Lest we forget....

regards,
keechie

warrior
25-04-2008, 06:49 PM
keechie you have a mature head on your shoulders i too sit down for a while and think about my pop who was a rats of trobruk in 1941 i didnt go out today cause of the wind but normanly would be out on the water, he loved fishing the central highlands of tassie for trout i will always remember him.

Black_Rat
25-04-2008, 07:28 PM
It's the men that stood up for, and fought for Australia be it 16 or 17 year olds back then we should embrace itr !

kingtin
25-04-2008, 08:06 PM
keechie you have a mature head on your shoulders i too sit down for a while and think about my pop who was a rats of trobruk in 1941 i didnt go out today cause of the wind but normanly would be out on the water, he loved fishing the central highlands of tassie for trout i will always remember him.

Yeah, agree with you about Keechie..........yer a good 'un keech.

My dad was at Tobruk too mate. He went right through from 39 to 45..........deserted at Anzio near the finish, (for an Italian woman after losing two previous wives to TB_. He was Army welterweight champion and when they declared an amnesty and his 3rd wife died, he returned to the UK to be stripped of all his medals and boxing trophies. He was never bitter about it and said he got what he deserved. He wouldn't have had it any other way and despite his record, he was a staunch supporter of The British Legion and they of him.

God Bless 'em all

We shall not forget.

kev

gawby
25-04-2008, 09:56 PM
I was at my sons house tonight and i told him how when i was a young lad
my father would dress us up on Anzac Day and off to Coolangatta we would go
and wave and clap to all the diggers and others who marched until the whole procession passed by.
My dad was in the navey during the 2nd world war and it was funny how he
would be a part of the crowd and not march. I never asked him why.
I was away in my truck today and didnt get home until after lunch so i saw
the Anzac march and everything on tv and seeing the old Diggers reminded me
of dad and i sat and watched with a tear in my eye.
You do remember and you never forget.
Graeme

kingtin
25-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I was at my sons house tonight and i told him how when i was a young lad
my father would dress us up on Anzac Day and off to Coolangatta we would go
and wave and clap to all the diggers and others who marched until the whole procession passed by.
My dad was in the navey during the 2nd world war and it was funny how he
would be a part of the crowd and not march. I never asked him why.
I was away in my truck today and didnt get home until after lunch so i saw
the Anzac march and everything on tv and seeing the old Diggers reminded me
of dad and i sat and watched with a tear in my eye.
You do remember and you never forget.
Graeme

"Lest We Forget" Graeme, does not necessarily mean that we need to overtly "celebrate" the sacrifice. For some, the memories are so painful that they recognise their mates in a more personal manner. Seems to me like your dad was one of those. Although the sacrifices pained him, he preferred to honour those sacrifices in his own dignified manner outside of the mainstream.

God bless him mate, and all those whose experiences alienated them from the "mainstream". Their experiences are nonetheless diminished by their "quietness".

kev

Luc
26-04-2008, 12:19 AM
My mum used to tell me stories from the German occupation in Belgium and of the sisters, brothers, family and friends lost.

I'm glad we moved to Australia and that myself and family have such a great place to live.

Thanks to all those whose sacrifices has given us this great way to live.

Luc

TimiBoy
26-04-2008, 05:12 AM
My Grandfather, and several Uncles fought, two Uncles were killed, in WW2.

Grandfather was also an artilleryman (17 pounders) on the Somme and elsewhere, and I had Great Uncles at that show, one of whom was blinded by gas.

I dearly love them all.

But here's the cracker - my wife's Father was drafted into the Wehrmacht (German Army) from 43 - 45 aged 17. He was also in tanks for a while. His Mother was put to death with a lethal injection (she was depressed), and his Brother was killed. He fought the Russians, deserted in Berlin, and got to the West, to be capped by the French, who released him, starving, in 1949 at Christmas time after 4 years living in a slit trench. He weighed under 50 Kilos, and controlled his dysentry by eating ashes from the fire. He never held his treatment against the French, and was well liked here in Oz. He came here in 1956 I think.

He died April 14, 2006.

I cherish his memory, and he is no less a Hero in my eyes for where he was born.

Horse
30-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Don't forget the blokes we have overseas at the moment. I know of at least one Ausfisher who is currently in a very unfriendly spot

Braddles
10-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I know its a bit late, but what a beautiful, moving post! Its sometimes too much for me to comprehend, just what our diggers went through, and the sacrifices they made. Both sets of grand parents were in WW2. Two grand fathers served O/seas, one as a pilot and one in PNG. My grandmothers worked in ammunition factory in Orange, NSW, which made ammunition and uniforms for our soldiers, while also looking after the kids. Amazing, unspoken heros. I was too young to talk about it / understand - but I do remember once looking at my Garr's medals with him when I was 11 or 12 one ANZAC day (I used to call him Garr before I could say anything else so it stuck). I remember him being upset and telling me about the Japanese and what he had witnessed and how the fuzzies "aka fuzzy wuzzy angels" (PNG Natives) had saved him. Now they are dead, I miss them so much, but what makes me sader is seeing the youth of today, drinking, fighting, using drugs, lacking tollerance etc, and cant help but think they owe it to our history to make our diggers proud in some way - they seem to be wasting this amazing chance at freedom, and to live in this lucky land.

dinky
10-05-2008, 10:04 PM
here here to all