PDA

View Full Version : Selling the stabi and going to glass

bmr04
24-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Guys

I'm putting the stabi 609 up for sale and moving to a glass boat. Mainly looking for a softer ride and some more comfort but will have to sacrifice the benefits of an alloy plate boat with heaps of stability. I considered the 759 stabi but like the creature comforts of the glass boats.

I'm down to 4 boats so far.. Haines Signature 675 with 250 Suzi on the back, Kevlacat 2400 offshore with twin 140 suzi's, crusiecraft explorer and outside 685 - motors yet to be decided but prefer suzi.

I've taken the kevla for a spin and she was awesome.....but I've read a few stories that they flip over and don't run well side on. I strictly like calm weather fishing in blue water but it does blow up unexpectedly at times and wouldn't want to be heading home in the dark to be flipped over by a following sea.

I haven't been out in the others out as yet. Given I'm unlikely to got outside in anything over 2m seas which is the better boat to look at. I don't really want to think about driving the boat (the cat guys say you need to walk the cat) I really just want to point and shoot and get out there and home in comfort. Also I regularly have other skippers drive and I kick back and take on the scenery. I'm not interested in the Kevla if my mates have to take a degree in driving a cat if it is that complicated.

Any constructive comments from other owners as to which craft I should be looking at?

backlash08
25-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I cant comment first hand on the cats as I havnt owned one but the guys that do own them reckon that they are great....personally I would go for the monos and would also look at the 680 patriot, as far as engines, suke for me
cheers
Craig

Stuart
25-04-2008, 06:50 AM
Who ever told you that Kevlacats Roll should give themselves a swift uppercut. I spent many years reef and game fishing on just about the whole range of these cats in some very bad weather. I would make a bet that you couldn’t roll one of these boats if you tried. They also run very well in a side on sea, I would say who ever told you this is very much full of crap because every thing he has said is way off the mark.:-/

Stu

revs57
25-04-2008, 07:00 AM
G'day bmr, a good friend has a KC 2400 offshore with twin 140 'zukes...I've been out with Johnny and he just points and shoots...this nonesence about "walking the cat", its just hype to describe the way cats can run from one pontoon to the other in a sea of a particular direction...its something the cat does by itself, not because of driver input and the cat flippin - well I've heard of a coupe of Dominators go over because of driver error, but Foxy has one and swears by it, I've never hear of a problem with the KC. No its not rocket science and you don't need a degree to drive one, they are a pleasure to drive. The only difference between the cat and mono is they lean the opposite way around a corner, but with two motors you can put a little trim in to hold the outside pontoon up then take it out when you've negotiated the bend

I think given the right conditions you can get into trouble in any boat. Sounds to me that you're sensible about boating and watch the weather and water pretty closely when you go out - I'd think any of the 3 you've mentioned would excell, the cattie is a lovely craft and would be an excellent choice.

cheers

Rhys

datamile
25-04-2008, 07:24 AM
There's a pair of s/h cruisecraft for sell at johncrawfordmarine south Brissy if thats your area of the woods. A 625 explorer and a 625 outsider

Greg P
25-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Of those boats listed the KC 2400 would win hands down if you can afford to run and maintain it. That size is the only one I would love to own but just could not afford to run every weekend available to go out.

I don't know about the Dominator roll overs being ALL attributed operator error - very debatable - they bang for a cat too

kozy cobia
25-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Of those boats listed the KC 2400 would win hands down if you can afford to run and maintain it. That size is the only one I would love to own but just could not afford to run every weekend available to go out.

I don't know about the Dominator roll overs being ALL attributed operator error - very debatable - they bang for a cat too

Not wrong about the Dominator, stay away as i was in one when it rolled and it was not big seas. On the other hand KC 2400 have a good rep and are always in demand 2nd hand. As for the Cruise Craft they look like a big boat, with the Haines Signiture i would get a tape measure on it to confirm the water line beam and hull length to compair and take them for a water test on the same day in 20Kts.

The other problem you will face is the transition from mono to cat which can be unnerving as i know first hand. This is not as much of a problem when you have regularly fish and driven a mates cat for a long time.

Regards ::)

Kozy

TimiBoy
25-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I have a 685 Outsider with 250 Verado, it's my first boat, I've had it for a year. Roomy, comfortable, and very capable. I've never been scared on her yet, and I've been in bigger seas than 2.0. My wife likes the big cabin, fridge, sink and stove.

If you have questions, send me a PM, and I'm happy to talk about it. If you're an exerienced fisho and can teach me something, maybe a day on the water ius in order? ;D

jimbo59
25-04-2008, 10:07 AM
If you want a soft ride go the cat, ive been in a outsider and they ride hard.

TimiBoy
25-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Lol, BRUISECRAFT!

Mtx
25-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Go the 680 Patriot. That way your mates who are driving the boat while you are still hungover will have a good time as well.

Although the 685 outsider at the show today with twins on it looked very sexy.

either way, you will probably only keep it 3 months and go find something else :)

Mtx
25-04-2008, 08:09 PM
one key question here for the cat owners / experienced cat people. Is it advisable for not experienced cat drives to be spiratically driving his cat?

legless
26-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Kevla cat.... mate if you have the finances what are you waiting for... i bet your ass you will never look back at a mono ever again...Well done enjoy your time on the water and live it up,you only get one shot at it... Love to see some pics.. take care champ

sleepygreg
26-04-2008, 01:48 AM
I have owned mono hulls all my life, but now I find myself fishing with my brother who owns a KC2400, and my brother in law who has a 575 Outsider. We fish out of Scarborough heading past Moreton chasing billies and also do a bit of reef fishing. I am quite comfortable in most conditions in the Outsider.....but if it really kicks up I would rather be in the KC. Once you get used to the way a cat hull behaves you would never go back to a mono. The first thing you notice is that they are an 'active' hull......this means that rather than roll when drifting, they lift and drop from one sponson to the other. A few bruised thighs on the first trip gets you out of the old habits and lets you appreciate the other aspects of the hull. They usually drift side on to the wind....major bonus. For an old fella like me who's knees are shot from too much cricket and squash in days gone by, the soft landings when coming off waves at speed is also a major bonus. Most of the criticisms of cat hulls are made by people who dont like something 'different' from what they are used to, or have never been in one in nasty weather. Most - not all - instances of cat hulls flipping or going over - especially on river bars - is due to skippers being over confident and taking on conditions that are downright dangerous, just because they have a cat hull they think they are indestructable.
In my view the KC 2400 is the best performing boat of its size in any hull configuration........but there is a point when conditions will get the better of any boat...you just have to be aware of those limits. The negative aspect of the KC is a rear on quartering sea....they dont like it......remedy...slow down a bit and all will be well.

Cheers

Greg

bmr04
28-04-2008, 08:37 PM
bit the bullet and ordered the kevla 2400
delivery next week
can't wait

thanks for all the posts. they were very helpfull

mirage
29-04-2008, 02:44 AM
You won't regret it. I've had one since Sep last year. It's my 3rd boat and couldn't be happier with it.
Scotty.

thelump
29-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Gee there are a lot of wealthy people in QLD. :D (is this because of Joh??);D i wish i had all these hard decisions to make.

Noelm
29-04-2008, 01:34 PM
not too sure why any of the others were even considered if a 2400 KC was on the Menu, there is none of the other ones mentioned that will even come close to the performance, room, comfort, and sheer size of the Kevlacat, I think you made the wise choice.