PDA

View Full Version : Efi Pull Start

yamp
24-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Just after any advice about EFI motors,The old man has a 60hp 4stk yami, I had heard somewhere you can't emergency pull start fuel injected motors if the battery is dead? I heard it had something to do with the motors chip,wondered if true would a 12v battery out of a dolpin torch could be used to get the chip to work any feedback apprieciated cheers Yamp

Reel Nauti
24-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I've not heard that before but can't really say either way. I thought the battery in a dolphin torch was 6v and not 12v.

Cheers

Dave

sharkymark2
24-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Well My yammie 4 strk 60 hp just had its first 10 hr service and I took it out a few days later. Battery was dead. I jumped started it with a car battery and went out fishing for the night. After a few shifts throughout the night and use of the lights come morning she was flat. Not dead flat just the rh rh rh sound that strikes fear into the hearts of all boaties with one battery. I used the emergency cord to give it a quick pull and away it went. No problem.

Bashir
24-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Recently I pull started our Mercury 200hp EFI 2 stroke. Have heard people say they wouldn't want to pull start a motor but it was dead easy. Makes you confident in knowing you can get home with a dead battery.

toolman2810
25-04-2008, 02:14 AM
I had the nightmare dead battery recently. Rough weather took on a heap of water over the windscreen. Everything got drenched. I am starting to find out salt water is the same as acid it just takes a little longer. But it is no less corrosive.
Gang switch was the culprite on the nav lights, growing green fuzzy growth & leaking voltage. It was the only switch that had lost its water resistant boot. I was wirring up something new & accidently brushed it & the spade contacts fell off !!!
Sorry for rambling the moral to the story is if you think your are buying marine electrics that are corrosion resistant, they havn't made them yet.
You can hook up two (dolphin) 6v batteries in series to give you 12v which may or may not drive the fuel pump in efi.
I cannot pull start my 50hp 2 stroke, cannot even go close. If people can then there must be a decompression feature.
Give it a go, @ the boat ramp, dissconnect your battery, hook up the two x 6v batterys. If you do get it to fire, shut it down straight away though. Motors are just not supposed to run on 6 volt batteries even if there are 2
I would be interested to see how you go

TimiBoy
25-04-2008, 05:57 AM
I looked for the rope on my 250 Verado, but couldn't find one?

LOL

Dan5
25-04-2008, 06:51 AM
Just after any advice about EFI motors,The old man has a 60hp 4stk yami, I had heard somewhere you can't emergency pull start fuel injected motors if the battery is dead? I heard it had something to do with the motors chip,wondered if true would a 12v battery out of a dolpin torch could be used to get the chip to work any feedback apprieciated cheers Yamp

The yammie 60 comes with an emergency pull cord,

Dan

Jackinthebox
25-04-2008, 12:11 PM
So does the Merc50 as well ....... i think ........ better go & check?

Fish Guts
25-04-2008, 01:00 PM
has anyone tried pulling a 250 suzuki ? whats involved ?

black runner
25-04-2008, 05:55 PM
According to the manual as long as you can get a minimum of 9 volts (which is a really really flat battery) the yammie efi will pull start. The alternator will take over as soon as it starts.

Cheers