PDA

View Full Version : fuel prices

warrior1
24-04-2008, 03:26 PM
hi all,just wanting to know how the price of fuel >:( is affecting everybodys fishing. Does it mean you have to take four people on a fishing trip now, meaning less room. does it mean some people wont be going in fishing comps this year, ie like fraser,just thought it would be interesting to know cause the price is Bullsh#t>:(

BaitThrower
24-04-2008, 03:35 PM
If ya wanna use the stuff, ya gotta pay what they are asking unfortunately.
Its the secret agenda of the greenies to make us all downsize our cars and boats, but luckily for me I only have a 15hp outboard and a 1.5L car, so no real effect here.

Little grey men
24-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Drove up to Awoonga and back last weekend.....WOW!!! next time we'll be taking a horse and buggy.

Blackened
24-04-2008, 04:33 PM
G'day

Hasn't affected me, I only run a 9.9.... but if it was a 200, still wouldn't affect me.

Here's the facts, if you want it bad enough (get out and fish, relax) you will find a way to do so

Dave

Outsider1
24-04-2008, 04:45 PM
G'day

Hasn't affected me, I only run a 9.9.... but if it was a 200, still wouldn't affect me.

Here's the facts, if you want it bad enough (get out and fish, relax) you will find a way to do so

Dave

Yep,

Europe has been paying well over $2 a litre equivalent for yonks, and they have not changed their habits at all, NZ is close to $2 equivalent now as well.

I know that there are a fair few out there feeling the pain of fuel costs, interest rates etc and I don't want to belittle or underestimate that pain at all, but reality is that high fuel prices are unlikely to see us change our habits dramatically in the short term.

Cheers

Dave

bluefin59
24-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I guess we just have to live with it i am just glad i didn't upgrade to a 5.5 cruise craft or something similar ,at least with the fin and the 60hp the fuel bill is well within our bounds without having to cut back on the amount of trips ..matt

Xahn1960
24-04-2008, 05:32 PM
My old 225 certainly knows how to drink, but compared to other hobbies I've had its still good value for money as far as I'm concerned. Fuel was a major factor considered when we first looked at buying the boat, unless prices really sky rocket I won't be changing my habits.

Bill.

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Going to be some deals soon on offshore boats! The last time I had my boat out fuel was at 1.32, going to be a wallet shock next time I do exactly the same thing. My boat can fish 4 OK but would rather not.

cheers fnq

fishing111
24-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I've been hearing that the government is going to do something about fuel prices for ages...Simple answer is that they make a mint off it and they have no incentive to change a thing. This government, and the previous are full of shit on this matter, and as far as that wank, RUDD, "the ear wax eating germ, to which god only know's what he eats off himself when there are no cameras on him", and his fuel watch plan that they reckon is going to cut 2 bloody cents off a litre when implemented, I ask myself are they F^&*$^&* SERIOUS, and what bloody planet are they living on, 2 cents a litre! It's the equivalent of pissing in the ocean and wanting it to turn yellow and it costs millions to implement to boot. Government, the best and brightest.. yeah right, mostly all are leaches who have never worked a day in there life! The only option I can see available to the ordinary bloke is to buy your fuel and that's IT...don't buy KFC, or McDonalds that are linked to the big BP's, and the like, don't buy your milk, or ciggy's, buy nothing, but your fuel. Only after all these associated businesses start feeling the pressure will these guys put the pressure on the fuel company's. Ask yourself, how much BP and the others would make at those big stores on the highway without selling a drop of fuel??

mik01
24-04-2008, 06:37 PM
won't change my boating a bit.
poor old NZ PULP has already hit the $2 mark!

won't be long before we head the same way.
thats life unfortunately - until a viable alternative comes along

ovakil
24-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Will still be going out.Good excuse to upgrade to a 4 stroke.

3rd degree
24-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Won't stop me!

Just means you gotta catch a few more fish to make it worthwhile.

Cheers

Jim

Steven78
24-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Its a Greenies scam fuel goes up less people go fishing thus protects the bay.
Just kidding. The cost of fuel is long going to keep going up until we reach peak then more wars will start hows nexted.

Wahoo
24-04-2008, 07:22 PM
why do PPL compare what we pay for our fuel, against what other countries pay? a block layer gets another 50%+ of what we are getting here, which means other tradies are getting good $$$$ also, and so on, i say we are still lucky we are only $1.60 P/L, and Jim i agree with you;)

if you like your fishing you wont mind paying what they are asking, i know i dont8-)

Daz

SummerTrance
24-04-2008, 08:20 PM
My biggest expense is the cost of fuel in my V8 towing the boat from the northside, to Raby bay and back home. Thats about $26 - $30. I prob only use about $15 - $20 worth of fuel in the boat on an average trip in the bay.

As my work has been very slow, that kept me at home last weekend, but wont be stopping me this weekend.

sheridan
24-04-2008, 08:48 PM
If fuel gets to $2 a litre my boat has a 40 ltr fuel tank that comes to $80 for a day out usually only use half a tank. Wife and i can go out for dinner have fish or what ever couple of drinks $20 on the pokies cab there and home easily $120 rather go out in the boat fishing can go for two days for the price of a night out. If we camp on the islands its better still we have a weekend away for $80 in fuel at the most and have a ball

Geoff

Oh Gee
24-04-2008, 09:34 PM
Time to look at somthing with a sail perhaps

Breambuster33
24-04-2008, 09:36 PM
kayaks will be next...

disorderly
24-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I just filled up the boat for tomorrow's trip....was just over $150...add bait ,tackle and some beers another $100 or so.....$250 for a couple of days roaming the reefs...good value in my eyes anyday and my missus would probably be happy to pay twice that just to get me out of the house for a while.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

hogesTS
27-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Fuel up here (Thursday Island) is $2.05/L, hurts when I fill up (120L tank plus jerries if camping) but you soon forget about it, although I am certainly glad to have a Yammie 4 stroke!

Brad Clark
27-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Al

I think most people, like myself will still go fishing but will cut down on other things. I know I will wear the same clothes until they fall off me before I buy new clothes. (I will wash them however) I just cut down on other things so I can still fish.

I will however be cutting down on the number of comps I do each year.

Bloody fuel costs. I just get a pay rise and up goes the mortgage and fuel costs.

mangomick
27-04-2008, 04:48 PM
How far will it go:'(

Spaniard_King
27-04-2008, 06:37 PM
I guess just gotta make every fishing trip count... Just checked my log 683L this year... must have been shit weather to only use that much :)

FNQCairns
27-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Well the price of fuel and the bother of dealing with an unknown quantity when returning home considering it's anyones guess when the next calm weekend will come along has changed our family plans for tomorrow as the thought of just throwing away old fuel like it not actually money is getting a little to hard to swallow.

Instead of taking the boat out we decided to do a day trip to water in the company car somewhere and cook a feed on the road kill BBQ:)

So yeah already fairly drastic changes in direction due to the price of fuel.

cheers fnq

BM
27-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Perhaps time for alternate propulsion experimentation.

Electric motors (theres heaps around that can be used for powering boats adequately). Costs a bit for a decent motor plus the batteries to run it but the recharging is cheaper than fuel.

LPG for inboard engines should have been done by now (I'm looking at that presently). It has been played with on outboards too with good outcomes. Perhaps it wasn't a popular choice at the time as fuel prices were not a concern as they are today.

Cheers

Flex
27-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Each year I go up north QLD fishing, drive from Brisbane and its a 5000km round trip give or take a few k's.

So thats about 700l of diesel for the car+300l for the boat and generator.

couple of years ago diesel was $1.30 aswell as unleaded.

This year diesel is $1.60 and unleaded a tad under $1.50

so 2 years ago was $910 diesel and $390 unleaded = $1300

This year will be $1120 and $450= $1570

Thats $270 all up difference/3 blokes= extra $90. stuff all really for 2-3 weeks fishing.

I also fish roughly once a month using 30l of fuel so it costs me roughly an extra $120-$150 a year to fish+ an extra $90-$100 to go up north.

So over a whole 12months that only $250 extra from fuel going to $1.30 to $1.60. When fuel goes to $3.00 a liter it'll only cost me an extra $700 a year to do the things I love....not much in the big scheme of things really.

As you can see thats a fair bit of fuel we use, and the extra cost isn;t that much in the big scheme of things.

Yeah increasing fuel prices are a pain, but I think people over exaggerate how it affects them. Its fine to spend $10 on coffee every day,buy lunch from a corner store, or buy that $9.95 packet of funky soft plastics you'll never use, but all of a sudden an extra few cents on fuel freaks people out?

Surely the average person who owns a boat,car etc isn't that hard up they cant afford an extra $20 of fuel once a month to go fishing($5 week) just take your lunch to work and you'll save $50 a week easy.

Often cracks me up to see people line up for hours to save 4cents/l on fuel to fill a car that holds 40L. then they go in and buy the 3 kids they are with a chocolate each.
Was sitting in the car with 3 screeming kids for 25mins waiting for fuel worth the $1.60 you saved? hardly....

ozlongboarder
28-04-2008, 12:00 AM
My 100 series Landcruiser uses 19L/100k, my father inlaws turbo diesel cruiser uses 10L/100k. Thats about $50 less a week for me on average totaling about $2600 a year.... think how many trips I could do in the boat for that $2600.

OPEC know an alternative is going to become available and so does the government thats why they're making every cent while they can because when we fill up our tanks on green slime grown at home they will not make a bloody cent out of us.

In the mean time I need to sell my cruiser and replace it with a diesel so I can spend that extra $2600 on boat fuel.

fishing111
20-05-2008, 10:53 AM
They get a sweet deal don't they..

Chrysler extends $2.99 gas deal, says it's driving sales

DETROIT (Reuters) — Automaker Chrysler said Monday it will extend a sales incentive that allows U.S. car buyers to lock in fuel purchases at $2.99 a gallon, saying the offer had succeeded in driving customers to visit its dealerships and consider making a purchase.
The automaker, whose sales have fallen almost 18% this year, said it will extend its "Let's Refuel America" sales program through the July 4th holiday weekend, typically a busy time for industry sales.
The Chrysler incentive, introduced two weeks ago, gives new vehicle buyers the option of taking a prepaid card that can be used to cap fuel prices at $2.99 a gallon for three years.
The prepaid gas card is good for regular, diesel and E85 — an ethanol blend fuel — and can be used at participating gas stations nationwide. The $2.99 offer excludes mid-grade and premium unleaded fuel. Chrysler's performance cars like the Dodge Viper and the Challenger, along with the Jeep Wrangler and Dodge Sprinter work truck, are excluded from the offer.
Chrysler pays the difference between the per-gallon price at the pump and $2.99, and has said it has hedged its exposure to rising oil prices as a result.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: SUVs (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=SUVs) | Challenger (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Challenger) | Cerberus Capital Management (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Cerberus Capital Management) | Dodge Viper (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Dodge Viper) | Jeep Wrangler (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Jeep Wrangler) | Dodge Sprinter (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Dodge Sprinter) | President Jim Press (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=President Jim Press)
The offer is valid for enough gasoline or diesel fuel to cover the first 12,000 miles driven each year based on mileage estimates.
With gas prices above $4 a gallon in some U.S. cities, Chrysler said the incentive has proved popular with its 3,500 dealers as a way to attract customers in a market dominated by concern about rising gas prices and slumping home values.
Chrysler's retail sales for May are tracking 15% higher than April, largely because of the incentive, said Chrysler Vice Chairman and President Jim Press.
Chrysler's overall sales for the month will be down, Press said, reflecting a decision by the automaker to cut about 35,000 vehicles from production during the month to reduce low-margin sales to car rental agencies.
"Our total volume, if you compare this month to last year, obviously will be down, but there's been an increase in our retail volume of about 15% ... compared to the previous month," Press said.
By announcing a one-month extension of the incentive, Chrysler hopes to give its dealers more time to prepare their own marketing programs to promote the offer, executives said.
"The dealers are, first of all, very happy that we have taken a step out of the normal for incentives and have tried something different while we're in a market that is completely out of the normal," Steve Landry, Chrysler's head of North American sales, told reporters.
Chrysler, which is majority owned by Cerberus Capital Management, posted a $1.6 billion loss in 2007.
The automaker has struggled with a product line-up that relies more heavily on trucks and SUVs than its larger rivals at a time when more Americans are looking to buy smaller and more fuel-efficient cars and crossovers.
Overall U.S. auto sales have dropped 8% through April, and analysts now project sales for the year to come in near or just above 15 million vehicles, down about 1 million vehicles from 2007.

Then they complain when gas goes up 6.9 cent a gallon (not a litre, a gallon).Ours can go up that much in the time it takes me to eat a hot pie on a cold day>:(

Gas prices jump to record $3.79 a gallon

By Tom Doggett, Reuters
WASHINGTON — More drivers are getting closer to $4 sticker shock at the pump as the average price for gasoline soared 6.9 cents over the last week to a record of $3.79 a gallon, the federal Energy Information Administration said Monday.
The national price for regular, self-service gasoline is up 57 cents from a year ago because of rising crude oil prices that recently reached a record near $128 barrel at the New York Mercantile Exchange.
The price of crude accounts for more than 70% of the cost of making gasoline.
If oil prices stay near current levels, some energy experts warn consumers could be paying $4 a gallon for fuel in most parts of the country when the busy summer vacation season gets underway.
Congress is hearing the consumer frustration and is looking for ways to show it is tackling runaway fuel prices.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: West Coast (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=West Coast) | Atlantic (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Atlantic) | New York Mercantile Exchange (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=New York Mercantile Exchange) | Energy Information Administration (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Energy Information Administration) | Rocky Mountain (http://www.usatoday.com/community/tags/topic.aspx?req=tag&tag=Rocky Mountain)
Lawmakers last week overwhelmingly passed legislation halting oil deliveries to the government's emergency petroleum stockpile in order to keep more supplies on the market and hopefully lower fuel costs.
However, many experts don't think consumers will see much savings at the pump.
The EIA's latest weekly survey of service stations found gasoline was the most expensive on the West Coast at an average $3.88 a gallon, up 5 cents. Chicago had the highest city price at $4.02, up 7.5 cents.
The Rocky Mountain states had the lowest regional price at $3.69 a gallon, up 7.7 cents. Houston had the cheapest pump price, up 7.7 cents at $3.65.
Separately, the price truckers and other users of diesel fuel paid jumped 16.6 cents to a record $4.50 a gallon, the EIA said.
Diesel has soared 35 cents a gallon in the last two weeks and is up $1.69 from a year ago.
The central Atlantic states had the most expensive diesel at $4.68 a gallon, up 16.6 cents. The Rocky Mountain region had the cheapest fuel at $4.44, also up 16.6 cents, the EIA said.

Mike Delisser
20-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Anglers are facing the same fuel price problems all around the world.
Link to a US site (not a bad site) http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210611937/0
Cheers

Stuart
20-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I have been thinking about this for ages now. I’m not sure if it would work but it’s an idea. What if we took a bank of batteries, wired them in to an inverter system then into a 2 or 3 HP electric motor and then into a reduction gear box. I have built machinery before using electric motors which are only 2 Hp to create 160hp utilizing a reduction gear box. Using these reduction gear boxes can be endless in terms of Hp ratings and outputs. It’s just a thought.

Stu