PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu and Mercury Props

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Can any advise me on whether or not mercury props in particular Vengence props can be fitted to Tohatsu TLDI's :-/

Am keen to replace the cruddly alloy job supplied with the motor to something a little more substantial. I'm pretty sure yamaha blades are a straight swap for the Tohie, but wondered about the merc's seeing as there is a bit of rebadinging between the two

BM
24-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Merc props will fit every outboard out there. Just by the appropriate hub to suit your engine (when you buy the prop) and away you go.

Mercury props are the best in the world and they spend the most money on R&D.

Cheers

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I have a Yam SS K2 was new but now it's now a 13.25x16.75 around 10h on boat no cup so will spin rpm numbers closer to what a 16p will but push the boat almost as fast as a 17p. I am done with it so going cheap, not pretty because thats a waste of time to me but its in perfect working order just has propwork marks on it that can be worked away if needed.

Dunno what you are chasing or about Yam fitting Toh, need them beside each other to try with no middle man to confuse the issue.

cheers fnq

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks BM, so what your saying is that I do or dont need to buy another hub? And if so what is the difference between the hubs? Is it size, thread, or other?:-[

@ FNQ, feeling a liitle dumb here, but r u offering a prop 4 sale:-[ I know I've been down the road of poor performance with u b4 but to date done very little about it. The issue is again raised its ugly head as someone else has commented to me about the performance.

Seeing a few S/H SS props on the market that might be the difference between just bearly acceptable performance and blistering pace. My feeling is the motor is set too low. So once I lift it I'l need more pitch than the 14" I have now otherwise I'll be over revving at WOT

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 11:57 AM
:-[ :-[ ::) now am feeling really dumb. Yes u are selling.:-[ By not pretty I'm guessing its had some work done to it :-/

Also, wondering about 16" if I raise the motor two holes, might only get away with one, I'l be able to increase the rpm approx 250rpm per hole. the 14" spins out to a tad under 5600rpm (I think) I'm pretty sure either way that its close to the recomended max rpm. I realise its hard to say here, but will I be able to spin 16" do you think.

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Yeah I remember now bad dealer help, this prop is not for you, selling it for half the price of an average SS secondhand so hoped it might help.

Yeah worth the effort to get it right, if you do it slow you will have forgotten just how bad it once was though.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 12:02 PM
The vengeance 16P has small diameter but a fairly large surface area ratio so I dont think so but could be wrong they do take near as much hp to spin as some other 17p props.

What about a yamaha (if it fits) 13.5x15p k and use that as a base line when you get it lifted? Although I do forget your particulars except for the very basics.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Arn't you in Townsville CK? I am heading down there on Sat morn to pick something up and have a near new Yam 15p k here you could borrow if it fits, as long as you promise to sent it back when your done I still want it going to mod it a bit later.

cheers fnq

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Particulars? U referring to those of the outboard and boat?

Razerline 5m, 135l fuel similar sized kill tank and live bait tank of 70 - 80 litres. 90hp TLDI 2.3:1 ratio Top speed at WOT 54-56kmh, two up. Fuel fuel, and tank load doesnt seem to make much difference only a couple of K tops.

My crew member from the other day suggested, as I thought, that it appears to be struggling at times in a sea. U know the feeling u get in a following sea when ur in front of a wave and it feels like your being pulled into it. Or if you hit / approach the back of a wave the struggling feeling u get to get up and going again.

I'm no expert......far from it.......but to me it seems to get out of the hole OK with only one exception, when there was three of us onboard and the third bloke, being around 120kg was at the back. I could not get on the plane or more than 3500rpm until I had him move forward with us at the helm.

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm thnking I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and pay another dealer to investigate. I'm just trying to avoid that at the moment and see if I can get the issue of height sorted / confirmed and then look for a suitable S/H stainless.

Much further South I'm afraid...............Adelaide!

FNQCairns
24-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Yeah, best to raise it, get your numbers correct then make a more informed choice, decreases the chance of wasting lot's of money.

Besides if it is low you will love the boat raised so long as it doesn't have a wing already and you don't go too high if you travel in lumpy water.

Cheers fnq

Coontakinta
24-04-2008, 01:46 PM
No......no wing have heard bad things about them, and if they were any good it woulda come with one!