PDA

View Full Version : surf taxi seaway the spit gold coast

Razgo-
23-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Watching this guy to try and figure out what he actually did. The surfers would float back across the seaway then out the the surf then they would phone the surf taxi to come pick them up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQ2NsWwfm4#GU5U2spHI_4

Jackinthebox
24-04-2008, 12:06 AM
He takes them out through the bar and drops them off in the surf off sth straddie.

Then he picks up guys from the Sth straddie side & brings them back.

Been doing it for years. I think he put the original surf taxi guy out of business who used to drop you on the inside of sth straddie & you'd have to leg it all the way across the island.

Anyone that caught the ferry years ago was thought of as a nancy boy but nowadays, most people seem to take the ferry option. It's a pretty good business he's got going there, very busy on the weekends.

If it was me though, i'd make sure i had a spin rod stashed on board, god knows how many mackerel & tuna bustups he's probably driven past over the years.

Razgo-
24-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the information. Yes i can certainly vouch for him being very busy! I was there again today around 2PM and he was flat out. I guess it only make sense to get to and from where you want to be surfing sooner rather than later. And certainly a safety aspect there as well to call on the surf taxi when your dog tired and just want to get to shore.

Do you know much about the mooring method he used? I didn't see how he set it up. I guess it's on some sort of anchor?

Jackinthebox
25-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Dont know mate,

maybe he puts an anchor down or has put an official mooring in with a big concrete block.