PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranties?

disorderly
22-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm just wondering how much value 5 and 7 year(in the US anyway so far) warranty's really are ... really what could happen to a 5 or 6 year old motor that would actually be covered by the warranty ?...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Is it just a gimmick?

Scott

Wahoo
22-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm just wondering how much value 5 and 7 year(in the US anyway so far) warranty's really are ... really what could happen to a 5 or 6 year old motor that would actually be covered by the warranty ?...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Is it just a gimmick?

Scott

E-Tec's mapping;D;D;D;D;D

Daz

Blackened
22-04-2008, 08:40 PM
G'day

Scott, I don't think its a gimmick, things like corrosion if stored @ a marina would be pretty damn handy, and major electrical components.

Either way, it's worth piece of mind and it's gotta be good for resale

Dave

disorderly
22-04-2008, 08:46 PM
E-Tec's mapping;D;D;D;D;D

Daz

I'm actually being serious here daz....I think even BRP are offering 7 years warranty on E-Tec's in the US...http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Dave,I find it hard to believe that corrosion on a 5 year old motor would be covered by warranty?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Blackened
22-04-2008, 09:34 PM
G'day

I know part of the old 2, 3, 4 yr warranty that merc offered was that of corrosion in the 4th year.

And I have seen some horrendous "newish" engines on moored boats, just a thought?

Dave

bluefin59
23-04-2008, 03:38 AM
Dont be too sure of the corrosion part of the warranty ,i went through this with the trim motor on my mariner . The paint on the electric motor part of the trim unit started to bubble and after i noticed this i had it looked at as it was suppose to be under warranty corrosion that is and was told that it is cosmetic so they would not cover it . I had my mercury service agent i bought the boat from try and sort it and another bloke who is a recognised agent even rang the state manager who said he was aware of the problem and said it is cosmetic. So i just lanotec it every couple of months , so yeah short of a major mechanical failure that cant of been your faulty such as [running it out of oil] i think its a bit of a gimmick ,but if its there great stuff i think reading the small print would suprise some ....matt

TimiBoy
23-04-2008, 06:29 AM
I haven't seen anything on them in boats/marine engines, but I have elsewhere, and I find the cost/benefit is generally not there.

Check the exclusions, and, perhaps more importantly, whether there is a maximum claim amount on each and every item. I know it used to be a lurk when you bought an EW on a car in Oz for say $600, the max claim was about $1,500 on any one issue. That's not insurance, it's theft.

Toddy_again
23-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Dont be too sure of the corrosion part of the warranty ,i went through this with the trim motor on my mariner . The paint on the electric motor part of the trim unit started to bubble and after i noticed this i had it looked at as it was suppose to be under warranty corrosion that is and was told that it is cosmetic so they would not cover it . I had my mercury service agent i bought the boat from try and sort it and another bloke who is a recognised agent even rang the state manager who said he was aware of the problem and said it is cosmetic. So i just lanotec it every couple of months , so yeah short of a major mechanical failure that cant of been your faulty such as [running it out of oil] i think its a bit of a gimmick ,but if its there great stuff i think reading the small print would suprise some ....matt

Same thing is happening to mine.Merc 50.

Toddy

bluefin59
23-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah toddy mines a 60 mariner 2 stroke same as the 50 like i said i just spray mine once a month with lanotec it has lost some paint but the rust has stopped ,i always was lead to believe rust is corrosion but according to mercury australia its cosmetic WHAT THE ....matt

Dan5
23-04-2008, 05:00 PM

Is it just a gimmick?

Scott

Most of the warranty's offered in the US are much longer than we get here in OZ,i suppose their consumer market demand's it???while we get what were given and have to pay for an extended warranty which most of the time is not worth the paper it's written on.

A while ago i was poking around on a US boating shop site and they were selling Quintrex over there but offering a 20 year hull warranty,i suppose they have to so they can crack into the market over there whilst we get offered 2 tenths of sweet f/a.

Dan