PDA

View Full Version : moving the resting position of boat on trailer forward

pubgolf
22-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Howdy all.
We own a Coast Runner 510 that sits on a Telwater trailer.
The problem is that the boat and trailer need to be parked on an angle in the shed to get the door closed.
This is not a huge problem. However, it limits access to the side of the shed that the front of the boat is parked on from the front door and vise versa from the rear.
Having looked at the set-up on the trailer i see that the boat can come forward on the trailer around 300mm and even load up a roller that doesnt get used, which would reduce the angle need to park the trailer in the shed and giving more work space.
To do this would require moving the upright winch bar forward.
I understand that this will put more weight on the goose neck and require new tie down points to be welded to the back of the trailer.
Can anyone tell me any problems that they may envisage doing this and am i barking up the wrong tree even thinking about it?

:thumbsup:

Rod

BILLY THE KID
22-04-2008, 07:34 PM
contact the manufacter would be step 1

alot can change with what seems simple modifacations .
1 . weight distribution may exceed drawbar strength
2. trailer may not track well over certain speeds
3 . less weight on rear may cause trailer to skip and your pride and joy may end up belly up on the road :'(

imported_QCR
22-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I had to do this with a Quintrex I had, Weight on the towball can be measured by putting a set of scales under the tow hitch with a block of wood between the scales and the hitch and taking the weight off the jocky wheel. This can be compared to the tow ball weight for the vehicle concerned i think its usually 10% of weight forward.
see your vehicle manual for tow ball weight. If you need to make an adjustment and your trailer allows it then you can move the trailer axle forward or back by jacking up undoing the U Bolts that hold the axle and wheel assemble, these are ubolts that are attached to the trailer frame 2 on each side, and moving the wheel assembly forward or back to suit and then re weighing. The movement required is very small with 50mm making a big difference. If this is not clear can some one explaine it better its been a long day. This probably dosent answer the shed problem but if you decide to move it the you may require this information

Terry

Willdoe
22-04-2008, 10:46 PM
It sounds like the back of the boat is overhanging the back rollers. If this is the case move it forwards. My ideal is to have the back rollers supporting the boats transom. If this causes a weight balance problem then move the spring hangers (if they are adjustable). Otherwise why not move it forward while in the shed and back when you are getting ready to take it out.
Willdoe

CreelReaper
23-04-2008, 12:32 AM
300mm sounds a lot to move forward. I would watch that the drawbar length is not shortened too much to cause jacknifing etc, when reversing. Its not a pretty site to see the winch handle punch a hole in the boot of the car.

Shane

PADDLES
23-04-2008, 07:42 AM
i agree willdo, i had to move my boat backwards because the trailer wasn't set up right and moved it so that the rearmost roller was right under the transom.

shane, the drawbar length doesn't actually change, it's just the load that moves. this does add in another option though, if moving the boat forwards exceeds the towbar weight you are after then you could possibly look at moving the axle cradle forwards as well, if you've got a trailer that allows you to do this.

wags on the water
23-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Would I be correct in saying you have a Vee loader trailer? If so there's no roller directly under the transom. Is there a chance, just for storing, you can fold the jockey wheel up out the way and sit the trailer on a smaller wheel or even a brick?

Cheers,
Wags

SCOTTYGC
23-04-2008, 09:34 AM
dont know if this is possible but have you seen the fold away drawbars?

dnej
23-04-2008, 09:40 AM
You need to check the current weight on the tow ball,and then get back on here and let us know what that is.
Moving the boat forward,can cause excess weight on the ball as stated in an earlier post.
Weight should be 7 to 10 percent of your overall weight of boat and trailer combined.

As mentioned,use bathroom scales,and a bit of timber.
Got a pic?
David

Davdigc

dnej
23-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Your boat motor gear and fuel trailer,probably weigh about 1200kg.
So towball weight 84 to 120 kg.So probably about 90kg,should do it.
David

Fatenhappy
23-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Absolutely spot on David ...

..... Don't forget unless that 10% factor is there (god forbid if you have an accident) the insurance will from what I have been told in the past, wipe you like a snotty nose ....