PDA

View Full Version : Boat Covers

lampuki
22-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi All.

I am looking for advice on boat covers, any info would be appreciated. I am trying to cover a 6.5 mtr centre cab/console boat.

bigtez
22-04-2008, 05:25 PM
For storage or towing?

Chimo
22-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Hi lampuki

Priced canvas, which I was advised by one who knows, is the only one to get if you want to cover it tightly as the canvas breathes and you will avoid mould and mildew.

Don't think the price I got was able to be towed which I didn't want and after I got up of the floor :'( I used a large rectanglar silver / green tarp which seems to work fine as I have set up to get good breeze under it and thru the boat. ;)

Cannot see if you have rocket launcher on top but I have and I just made up a PVC assembly that goes from side to side with short bits off the end elbows into the outside launchers. The tarp slides over well and no rips and water drains and sun is not buggering clears etc either.;D

Nerang Disposals or even Bunnings have reasonable quality for reasonable cost or you could just get one made up out of canvas and spend a couple of K;)

Cheers
Chimo

lampuki
22-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I hbigtez, ideally for both, but i realise that is asking a bit too much most probably........when i tow up north, i would like something to deflect any stones if possible.

Why Not
22-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I've got a travel cover for my G.S Extreme which does me here in the NT. :D

Doesn't let the dust in and protects the paint from the rocks on the dirt roads up here.

It has a draw string (rope) which sits inside the cover under the gunnel. Pull it tight and pull down the occy straps for the front wings and your away.:cool:

Chimo
22-04-2008, 05:37 PM
For towing why not rig up some shade cloth from the trailer up the gunnels?

Chimo

PS the canvas cover probably would, with better ties, be ok for road work too.

lampuki
22-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info all.....my boat is going to have a Tee Top canopy....Im thinking I will need two solutions...one for towing when I head up north, and maybe shade cloth will do the trick there, and the other is storage, as my boat will be out the front of my house. I saw a hugh civer designed for caravans that i was thinking of using if i didnt come up with a better solution.

Chimo
22-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi

Whats a " hugh civer designed for caravans "?

Chimo

lampuki
22-04-2008, 08:50 PM
oops, sorry Chimo, that was a typo...i meant to say: "huge cover designed for caravans"....i saw it at bcf.....im not sure if it was canvas though...i take your point about the need for it to be breathable....

Chimo
22-04-2008, 09:25 PM
If you are going to use a giant caravan type cover on a non van shaped object you will probably find it cheaper and easier just to buy a big tarp for a couple of hundred with a 10yr lifespan and only use it on site at home and when you get to where you are towing it to.

I used shade cloth for years on a boat; tied along the trailer and along the gunnels; that I towed regularly on country roads and it worked very well and its cheap.

Chimo

bigtez
22-04-2008, 10:50 PM
To protect from stone chips you need a stone guard that attaches to the bow rails and passes underneath the trailer. This would be made frome a heavy duty marine grade boat hooding like Nylex Mariner.
As for storage covers, the cheapest way to go is a BeeSeeEff cover but keep in mind that some of the cheap covers won't breath and shouldn't be used for extended periods of time withou airing the boat. To do a custom cover you would probably be looking at more then $2k.
PM if any of that was unclear. I have been at work for the last 17hrs and will be here for a few more. I hate boat shows.

Terry

glennaus
23-04-2008, 06:38 AM
i had a custom made boat cover made for the cruise craft out of canvas cost about 2 grand which was a full cover a half cover which attached under the gunnels was about 1500 dollars i was really happy with it

cheers glenn

lampuki
23-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Glennaus, that cover looks great! Do you mind if you provide me the details of who did that for you?

glennaus
23-04-2008, 12:53 PM
thanks mate the cover actually pulls tighter than that the back was undone when i took the pic. i sourced the cover from the cruise craft dealer at tweedcoast marine i,m not sure which boat trimmer they use but i can find out for you if you like i,m really impressed with the quality the water seems to just bead off and havn,t noticed and musty smell inside so must breathe okay

cheers glenn

lampuki
23-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Glenn. Thanks for the info, i really appreiate it!! If you could PM the contact details that would be great. Thanks again.

Taroona
23-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Contact Garry at Cleveland Upholsterers Shore Street. if you are in Brisbane.

Also there is no problem with condensation forming